Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

do batteries in parallel produce more amps?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

do batteries in parallel produce more amps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
01bluerado
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do batteries in parallel produce more amps?

i have 2 turnigy 2200mah 20c batteries but my motor draws 50 amps. if i was to run these 2 batteries in parallel would that create more amps or am i looking at this al wrong? i know the voltage stays the same but i dont see how the amps could stay the same.

and just to make sure, i am needing more amps right? the esc is a 60A and the motor is supposed to draw aprox. 50 A. but these batteries can only produce 44 amps each correct?? EDIT their burst rateis 30c wich makes 66A.if this is so thenuntil i get a better battery i would be fine if ididnt go WOT for more than 10seconds? scary i know but it would be very temporary.

i just misread someones explanation, made a fireball, gave someone wrong information, and bought new parts. i want to make sure im right this time lol
Old 10-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Von Ohain

Default RE: do batteries in parallel produce more amps?

Parallelling batteries gives you the total capacity of each battery in the coupling, both in maximum amp draw, and in mah.
Simply parallelling batteries does no increase amp draw just like that.
How much amp you draw depends only on the motor and the load the motor is driving.
So, if you need more capacity of batteries, parallelling them is a solution.
If you want to draw more amps to go faster, parallelling batteries wont help you.
You would then need to load your motor harder (bigger prop) or alter the motor (higher kv).
Old 10-17-2010, 09:29 PM
keithbradley
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: Von Ohain

Parallelling batteries gives you the total capacity of each battery in the coupling, both in maximum amp draw, and in mah.
Simply parallelling batteries does no increase amp draw just like that.
How much amp you draw depends only on the motor and the load the motor is driving.
So, if you need more capacity of batteries, parallelling them is a solution.
If you want to draw more amps to go faster, parallelling batteries wont help you.
You would then need to load your motor harder (bigger prop) or alter the motor (higher kv).
I think you may have misunderstood his question. It doesnt sound like he is trying to change what his motor is doing, just power it correctly???

To the OP, paralleling the batteries will double the AVAILABLEcurrentfrom the batteries. This can make a HUGEdifference in speed and power if you dont already have a battery setup capable of delivering the current you system needs. Using your batteries in a parallel configuration will most likly result in higher RPM from your motor as well. Every battery will drop voltage as current demand increases. Doubling your capacity will minimize the voltage drop, netting you a higher RPM. This is most evident on higher cell count setups in my experience.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
01bluerado
My Feedback: (11)

thats what i was looking for! i didnt see a way that couldn't be possible but i sure have been wrong before so i wanted to double check. thanks a ton!!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: 01bluerado

thats what i was looking for! i didnt see a way that couldn't be possible but i sure have been wrong before so i wanted to double check. thanks a ton!!
your on the right track bro!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM
markz1

Hey I think this is along the same lines. I have been looking and looking and looking for an answer to my question here. Hours spent, I cant find nothing. This is the closest I found. Hopefully I get a quick knowledgable response.

So there is a C-Rating for maximum discharge, then there is C-Rating for continuous discharge for batteries, whether its RC Lipo from HobbyKing, or LiFePO4, or Lithium Ion 18650-25r whatever.

If I need a certain amperage of discharge, for max Amps.
And I buy cheaper batteries that dont come near my needed specs.
Lets say for example, I want 100Amax and 50Acont., yet I buy batteries spec'd at 30Acont and 60Amax.
If I parallel them, would that double my batteries output to 30Ax2=60Acont and 60Ax2=120Amax
In other words, if I parallel battery packs, does this increase my C-Rate Continuous and my C-Rate Maximum.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 PM
srt10

Wow, this thread is almost 5 years old...
Yes, when you parallel packs the amps double

some of my race boats I run 2p meaning two packs in parallel for more power and runtime
Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM
markz1

Yes I knew it was old, but thanks for the response. Similar to exact same question I posted in HobbyKing forums.
FYI - Im running 48V 12.5Ah 18650-25r with BMS (50Acont-80Amax BMS), but further down the road I am wanting 72V or 84V so either 48V+24V for 72V, or 48V+36V for 84V. Will keep them the same Ah of course, whether I decide on the 10Ah or 12.5Ah for series.

I found a battery supplier for cheap battery packs. The ones I mentioned. He however does not sell 36V or 24V packs. Only 52V 18650-25r.
48v Samsung 18650 Battery Pack 10ah for $280.00 <---This battery pack here is what I was considering

48v Samsung INR18650-25r 12.5ah HIGH POWER for $365.00 - "designed to put out 100amps and not get hot. Even with its small size 12.5ah, this pack will still put out serious juice without getting hot and thus degrading the life of your pack."
"

Last edited by markz1; 07-06-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 PM
markz1

double post
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Patrick125

If you increase the voltage the ampage will increase in propertion to the voltage increase if you are using the same motor and prop in the case of a boat. It should be noted that it would be better to stay away from discharge at the max continuos discharge rating. Example if the battery is a 5000 MAH 20C that would mean 100 amps continuos but I am saying you should try to stay under 100amps. My experience has lead me to make this suggestion.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 PM
srt10

we are talking about parallel not running batteries in series or increasing VOLTS

The OP of this thread is
  • "do batteries in parallel produce more amps?"
and the answer is YES
Old 07-09-2015, 05:40 PM
markz1

Yes this is a no-brainer, series = +voltage and paralell = +Ah
So if you want 100A output from 10A ouput batteries, you need 10 parallel strings. Not factoring in the over-exaggerated C-rating claims whether it be cont or max. Dont want the batteries to get hot!!!!

It is always advisable to run anything less then their C-rating. However if you buy from HobbyKing your stated 20C (cont or max) is cut down to 1/3 or 1/4. Every other battery out there you cut in half. Chinese companies especially love to exaggerate their C-rating claims whether it be cont or max.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 PM
srt10

Originally Posted by markz1

It is always advisable to run anything less then their C-rating. However if you buy from HobbyKing your stated 20C (cont or max) is cut down to 1/3 or 1/4. Every other battery out there you cut in half. Chinese companies especially love to exaggerate their C-rating claims whether it be cont or max.
Not true at all
you really need to read up on lipo testing that has been done several places to find that some so called "name brand" very expensive lipos are some of the worst in the industry and some that Hobbyking sells are very very good in power and longevity with a very inexpensive price point
and here is a hint to you
all most all the lipos you are running are made in CHINA
most all lipo cells are made in CHINA

you came to this thread that was almost 5 years old with a battery question, now your talking bad about where our lipos are made.. REALLY ??

Last edited by srt10; 07-09-2015 at 05:58 PM.