Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

New to RC Boats, thinking of getting a Shockwave 26

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

New to RC Boats, thinking of getting a Shockwave 26

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Boats, thinking of getting a Shockwave 26

Hi,
As said I am new to rc boats, NOT RC in general, and I would like to get my first. I have recently moved to the Dominican Republic and have a large pond near my house as well as going to the beach on weekends! I have been looking around and am especially interested in the ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL RTR, I want electric FOR SURE and BL. IS this a decent boat to start? I have heard of prop breaking issues but in theory that has been corrected with a metal prop now, correct? Anything I should look out for?
Now for the real noob question, how do you get ur boat back if ur battery dies or ESC fries or whatever!!!?? How do LIPO cutoffs work in boats? Does it cut and give you enough power to get back to shore? Will running on the beach be a problem? I know I cant do speed runs with waves and such and I should wipe it down with fresh water after running, anything else to look out for?
Thanks guys!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:35 AM
niteshadow

Default RE: New to RC Boats, thinking of getting a Shockwave 26

I have noticed a forum the otherday on boat retrevel and he {she} built a tugboat with gear to manever aroud lost boat and tow same back to you
[email protected]
Old 12-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to RC Boats, thinking of getting a Shockwave 26

Welcome to RC boats. The shockwave does/did have a history of props breaking which was fixed with the replacment metal prop. More importantly the shockwave uses the same motor/esc which the proboat widowmaker uses and is known to fry esc very very quickly. Their was a issue with the esc's lipo/nimh switch which caused the esc's to fry. The shockwave is also very limited on what you can do with do to hull speed limitations and the brittle abs plastic hull itself. It also has PB's nightmare steerable outdrive which completly sucks. The advantage of the shockwave is it only requires 1 battery to operate, also what you see is what you get. The only thing you can really do is get a better esc for it and drive it as is. If fast electric boats is something you want to get into then you will out grow the shockwave very VERY quickly. If you just want a boat to plug in drive as is for fun and be done then it may work out for you. If you think you want to really get into FE boat I would say a Proboat Miss Geico would be a nice start. Beautiful made boat well constructed and a pleasure to drive. Also will teach you about props and tuning boats, Since you mentioned running on a beach a mono maybe a better fit for you to handle the waves in which case maybe a Traxxas Spartan maybe more up your ally or a better yet a DF33 copy like the Pursuit mono. As far as your battery question. Unlike NIMH/NICAD batteries which can be drained fully and then fully charged lipos can not be fully discharged AT ALL. Doing so will destroy the battery, the LVC is the low-voltage-cutoff. When the esc senes the batteries have reached a certain value the esc shut off power to the boat or makes the stutter telling you it is time to bring the boat to shore. The lvc is a battery protection function of the esc's. With the shockwave all the lipo/nimh switch does is turns on the LVC. When running nimh thelvc needs to be off because the voltage drop durnign heavy amp loads (starting from a stop/ getting the boat on plane) will hit the lvc on the boat. For boat retrevial after a flip or electric issue I converted 2 old boats I wasn't using anymore to rescue boats. Here's my thread on the rescue boats: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=16705

After running in salt water, wipe the hull and hardware down and rinse throughly with fresh water also force fresh water throughly the cooling lines getting ALLtraces of salt water off the boat. Failing to do so will result in possible damage to the drive hardware. The shockwaves u-joint on the drive WILL rust in salt water if not rinsed and lubed after each run.

Here are some of my vids:
The first is a RIO EP rescue boat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcU5gscReK0
Second is a Apache 24 resuce boat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pe_zJxAjbw
Here is a Miss Geico, not be the best choice for big waves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZmdN6FsIs