Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Rebuilt my Pro Boat Widowmaker. Outcome? AWESOME!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Rebuilt my Pro Boat Widowmaker. Outcome? AWESOME!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt my Pro Boat Widowmaker. Outcome? AWESOME!!

Anyone who owns this boat or has owned one and given up on it will tell you it porpoises like crazy and doesn't turn worth a penny! I bought this boat used, in "like new" condition, from eBay with the stock motor in tack but it had a burn ESC. The stock motor went out after a few runs and I replaced it with a cheap purple Hobby King motor for now. I got a lot of negative remarks on another forum about my project mostly from people who had given up on stepped, V hulls, specifically this boat. After researching lots of forums and reading quite a bit on stepped hulls and hydrodynamics I came to realize that the spot where I put the motor is where boat designers who work with stepped hulls concluded that the CoG is, on a stepped hull boat. That spot,"typically", is one step above the lowest part of the boat, in this case the first step which is the front of the boat. The second step being right in the middle at about 27% from the transom forward. In this boat Proboat put the motor and electronics too high and over the first step of the hull. It's in the wrong spot according to what I have read and by the experience I have gained from rebuilding this boat.

Here is how the build started. You can see everything was very high centered. It was ridiculous how far up and forward the motor was placed [:'(] You can see(in the picture below) that even though the motor mount was placed just behind the first step the weight of the motor was over the first step of the hull making it want to run very wet no matter how much one adjusted the trim to bring the nose up.

I layed 2 layers of glass underneath the motor mount then glassed over it, held just at the right angle to line up with the stuffing tube, and let her dry over night. I used some 43mmx3mm o-rings to fit the Pro Boat cooling ring around a 36mm motor. The XL motor is a beast in this thing but it's just in there for now but it will always be a 2S boat.

You can see in this picture how much I moved the motor. That's the stock cable

No video today but I got a chance to get it wet. The boat is a completely different animal. Since more of the weight is shifted towards the rear it's on plane almost instantly after hitting the throttle. Gone is the "sway" when turning. No longer does it turn like a lifted F350! Its 100% more plated than before and it runs less wet than before. Conclusion? Success!!

The picture below is of the final layout which worked for me. Placing the motor on the hull lowered the CoG and placing most of the weight over the second step of the hull put most of the weight in the boat right where it needs to be. I'm happy with the outcome!!

The motor will be replaced with a B36-56-2600KV motor and a Turnigy 60A marine ESC that I ordered today. :buttrock:
Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM
KENDOG689

Default RE: Rebuilt my Pro Boat Widowmaker. Outcome? AWESOME!!

L F you are certainly on the right track.These small boats are hard to get the motors far enough back,I had to do lots to the same thing.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM
losifiend

Thanks.

Yeah, when I drop the boat in the water the transom is nearly submerged now, since I shifted the weight so much further back. But when you hit the throttle it jumps out of the water and goes like a bat out of hell!! I cant even describe how well it handles now compared to stock.

I'll get some video soon
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM
KENDOG689

Cool maybe I,ll see you sunday.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sunday? i want to go, boats should all be ready by then
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM
losifiend

Ohh, Sunday I might be in San Diego. If I am, I'll be running the boats at the boat docks in the South Bay.

But if we don't make it down there I'll PM both of you early and we can meet somewhere to give the boats hell[>:]