Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

what to do with this lipo

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

what to do with this lipo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what to do with this lipo

I have a 4s1p 5000 mah 20-30 c lipo battery. only has about 7 cycles on it but in my stupidity i short circuited it and now cell 3 is reading dead. Options i was considering. De solder the faulty cell from the board and charge it seperately so that if it does puff or catch on fire it doesn't destroy the 3 working cells and then i'd be able to get a pcb board from radio shack and just make a 3s cell or if it successfully takes the charge i could just put it back in the 4s configuration. Or do i just try to charge that cell individually with it how it is and if it takes it, i'm good to go and if it doesn't then i scrap it.

WHAT WOULD U DO?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: what to do with this lipo

I personally would cut my losses and grab a new pack. This cell will most likely hinder performance even if it could work in the future.

Ryan
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* If it's a turnigy or a zippy I would just cut my losses but if its a high grade pack TP, hyperion ect I would try my hardest to safe something on it lol....

Inspect it make sure nothing easy like a lose connection inside the pack ect ect.... If no just de-solder and make a 2s or 3s pack.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM
asupervee72

found out the cell actually wasn't dead. All it was was the tab coming out the + side of that single cell. It vaporized when i shorted it so i soldered it up and now i'm getting a good voltage reading. I am going to cycle it a couple times before it makes it's way back into the boat though.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There you go. Better than we all thought.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
asupervee72

i know cause it the tab was still on the board really good. Didn't discover it until i tried charging it and the charger just said connection break. Still makes me a little nervous though. I had to trim some of the foil like stuff the cells are in cased in to reveal a little bit more of the tab. All the actual seals are still good though, i just trimmed the excess.