Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Small Dunk and ESC and Lipo fried?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Small Dunk and ESC and Lipo fried?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Small Dunk and ESC and Lipo fried?

Hi guys,

I have a converted 50 inch Cat that I put a Castle Creations 240V HV marine ESC, leopard 5692 motor and I used a 10s 45c Hobby King lipo to power it. And it was FAST!!

I made the mistake of asking my buddy to drive it so I could take some moving pics. Before that, he was telling me to not flip it as we were both seeing how fast it was! As he's driving it, he leans on the throttle too much and gets it airborne. The boat flips in mid air and just ducks underwater for a second before coming back up, right side up. Then the boat wouldn't move other than the rudder. No smoke or anything was visible.

I retrieved the boat and physically everything was still connected. The 10s pack now reads like an 8s Pack on my battery checker (The 10s pack is two 5s packs in series, one is reading like a 3s pack).

I connected my other new 10s pack to the esc and it had a huge spark that seemed WAY to big to be the regular spark. It almost destroyed the 5.5mm bullet connector. It seems like the ESC is shorting out the battery pack.

My questions are:

HOW in the world can a 1/2 second dunk of a marine ESC from a reputable manufacture die so quickly?

Could the battery pack have shorted out and then caused the ESC to fry? And in so short a time?

For the record, there was barely, any water in the hull.

I'm making my buddy fix my ESC and battery since he was irresponsible in keeping the speeds down. This boat with this set up is WAY too fast.

Raf
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
forescott
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small Dunk and ESC and Lipo fried?

So did the esc smoke? or did it work? 10s is a lot of volts and surely will make a huge spark upon connection. I've burnt holes on bullets from 6s setups. I'd blow that esc out really good with compressed air and even spray some corrosion X in there and blow it out again. Then hook it up with just a single 5s pack to test it. If it doesn't respond then send it to castle for repair. They are really good to work with.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
forescott
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small Dunk and ESC and Lipo fried?

Its also possible the solder connections were jarred loose inside the pack. I've had turnigy lipos main leads pull right out of the pack due to poor solder joints.