Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

miss geico/motley crew questions

Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 AM
shannon87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default miss geico/motley crew questions

Hiall imentioned in another thread about getting a miss geico to start me off in racing but after reading alot of threads the best mods seem to be change the connectors to 5.5 mm bullets, adding battery tray extensions, an offset rudder, and an octura x642 prop as well as other minor custom bits .

It was mentioned that it wouldnt void the warranty is that the case i just wanted to get other opinions as i wanted to race while keeping the warranty as i was worried those mods would void the warranty.

Though i have considered the motley crew as it would only require bolt ons the connectors would be the biggest one and it has the advantage of a open tub and a cool watercooling systemthe reason askis would it be more newb friendly and more forgiving while i learn .

It would also work with the custom drive i have in mind i was only wondering because of the newb friendly bit and you guys are pretty knowledgable.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 AM
asupervee72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: miss geico/motley crew questions

Just so you know racing and warranty don't really mix, they may in the rc world. Here is the thing, if you get the MG or the AQ Motely crew you likely aren't going to need warranty service. My AQ gear survived multiple times after being completely submerged, and my MG just made it though her first submersion. MG is user friendly, if you were going to get one though I'd opt for just the hull if i were to do it again because I got bored with stock 4s speed after a couple runs. But with you being a newb a rtr may be your best bet.

I added bullet connectors instead of the Tayima connector on a Novak esc and they still warrantied it. Just make sure you desolder the 4mm bullets on the motor and esc don't just clip the wire because that will void the warranty.

Mg also has cool water cooling, and I'm not seeing the open tub advantage. Insides of MG hull are just fine.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 AM
shannon87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cheers lol that clears alot up lol with the open tub it wuld be easier to move the batts around as you wouldnt need battery tray extensions as they seem to do in the miss geico.

Just one less thing i have to try and do to be able to have enough room to adjust cog and i wouldnt need an off set rudder either and with the stock connectors ill get them de soldered and defianately not just clipped lol but yer that would be the only change would seem to have to make on the motley and a prop also nothin to fiddly lol.

It also has a higher kv motor and higer rated esc which will be good as i would prefer to run it with 4s2p to run in the limited class so thats where i higher kv motor would come in handy i suppose not only that it will also be my first proper F/E boat lol and just to get me started in racing also to encourage other newbies that it can be done with a RTR boat.

But down the track once i learn how to drive lol among other thingsi will repower the hull with a leopard motor and T180 esc and maybe a special drive conversion see how it goes with that.

And with the cool watercooling not that its not cool in the geico its just the motley is unique as the water passes back through the esc plus it has a cool water jacket after the motor and i was going to add an esc aftercooler from kintec after the esc before the motot than after the motor and back into the esc.

Sorry about the newb questions and thanks for having the patience to help lol i really appreciate it.

Basically i know most of you think or will think im nuts but i have my reasons and darin jordan and grim have given me in a waytheir backing.

But it all comes down which would be better suited to the proboat outboard. the geico would be in regards to as it is wider, longer, and would possibly look better but as i was worried about the hull having enough room for batter place ment which doesnt seem to be an issue because of the open tub you can pretty much move them where you need to where as the geico you can only move them up and down the trays and would need to add extensions to give you enough COG options.

Which probabably is the main factor in getting the boat to handle right with the outboard and like i said darin and grim both said it would work and be a cool project with the motley it does have a more open transom but the geico has that extension where the rudder is mounted which would be great to place the outboard and it would look better and the hull is longer and wider which would offer more displacement to balance out the outboard.

But like i said in the end it comes down to which of those hulls would be better suited for the outboard
Old 03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
asupervee72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

why would you want an outboard on either of these boats, the surface drive works just fine. I see what your saying with the battery extensions, Since i started running 4s2p i actually have my batts 1inch forward from the back or the trays, but i'm also under different power. If you can wait for the Motely Crew go for it, we all want to hear the review on it anyway. It looks like it should be a faster boat out of the box and grim makes his boats for racing so his rudder placement might be better for racing. I still have my SV and have enjoyed years of use out of it now. I'm sure the motley crew will suit your needs nicely,
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
shannon87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sounds like a plan well for starters i really like outboards and not really into tunnels at this pointand a fan of outboard cats.

And the usual reasons for modifyingsomethin lolcustom, unique and to suit my needs and darin has the same plan for the geico and grim said it would be cool also.

I have nothin against the surface drive its just somethin i would like to do and i may stick with the motley crew for those reasons also.

How do you think the outboard would look on he back of the motley as i said i just think it would look better on the geico as it has that little extension that sticks out where the rudder is mounted plus its longer and wider.

EDIT
Also i have been talking more to grim and he said it will just probably just be a little to big and agreed along with darinthat the geico would be more suited to that outboard while he said two EP1s would be killer on the motley crew id be worried about those gears while having brushless power.

And was wondering about the geico low throttle contol and people said its pretty much on and off which is not good for the pond i mainly run in as the clear section is around 8 meters across and about 30 meters long and either side it gets a but weedy and there are floating debris about 2 meters around the safe zone so it would be nice to know that a i have much greater throttle contol then on and off lol.

I would assume that the linear option with the programmer would alow a much smoother throttle curve and more control i mean by all means correct me if im wrong as i have only had experience with one esc contolled boat which is very toy like its one of those joysway micro cats i mean its fun to run it in my small pool and thats about it lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
asupervee72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you are going to do outboards i would definitely go with two cause It would look the coolest of course. If you are talking to Mike about all of this he is going to have much better input then I would. I just dabble around and and try stuff.

I wouldn't say the stock geico's esc is on off. More like it has a deadband space when you first get on it. I've noticed if you take it up to half throttle or so and then try to slow down you have much more low end control then trying to go from a stop. You need throttle to get on plane anyway and i never had a problem controlling the speed with my stock esc.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
shannon87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cheers yer i understand in what your sayin though i really appreciate your input yer i have also recieved similar advise from darin but i want set up for limited so im limited to one lol.

But in sayin that 2 ep1s on the motley would be cool but there are no replacement gears so there is no point to that lol.

But next year pending the results of one outboard on the geico ill do a larger cat hull around 37 inches with twin proboat outboards.

I did also ask mhz racing about an outboard on one of there large monos since there is an option on one i was looking at that said you can put a black hawk z drive i think if its going to work with a drive like that than it might just work wit an outboard.

The mono was this one http://www.mhzusa.com/Lizard-m-1717.htm although a z drive would be awesome lol but it says to find the drive under harware which its not there but when you look under z drives its only the large ones lol i dunno the z drive might be cool on the skater btm cat as its around 30 inches and the micro is only 17 lol and all the rest are a bit to large and out of my price range for a bare hull.

As i have never seen anyone over here that has a z drive and thats why i was doin the outboard for somethin custom that i like plus something different but with the z drive it combines an outboard of sorts with the inboard still so it offers the best of both worlds so its another option anyways ill ask mhz when they get back to me.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
siberianhusky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just out of curiosity is the transom of either of those boats high enough for an outboard? Remember you have to have the prop running at the proper depth for the hull, about as deep as the bottom of the hulls. Looking at them I would think the motor would have to be mounted too low in relation to the bottom of the ride pads. Just going by pictures though, no measuring has been done.
On a tunnel hull the outboard mounts very high up on the back of the cowled part, you don't have this on either the Geico or Motley Crew cats.(Damn I even hate typing that name! I honestly think that will keep me from ever owning one! Well that and the stupid paint job! Although that is easy to change).
If the prop is running to deep the boat will never run right. Think you need to get some dimensions and do some measuring before you spend a pile of dough, Thats why my thought to you in an earlier thread was to use a bigger cat hull and run twins on it, give you some room on the transom to place them properly so you have a fighting chance at getting it to run right.
There is more to setting up a boat than just sticking hardware on it, it has to be in the right location for it to work. If it's not in the right place to start all the power and prop changes or whatever will not make it run right.
Not saying it can't be done, I think you need to carefully research the hull you want to use to make sure an outboard will fit in regards to prop depth.
A better option might be to scratch build a hull with some mods to the back end to get an outboard in the right place.
One other thing, with that tub setup in the motley you might not be able to get the batteries far enough forward to be able to balance the boat without lead or cutting the tub apart to get the batteries farther forward, Remember you will have a the heaviest part of the boat hanging off the back, you'll have to get the batteries way forward, then you might run into problems with the length of the wires, you want the esc and battery wires to be as short as possible, long wire = much resistance.
Lots of things to think about but there is a solution to most of them, just keep some of it in mind when you start this project.
Just also keep in mind that when you're done the boat will be slower than an inboard with the same motor etc. Thats unfortunately just the way it is. More drag = less speed. If you plan on racing it you should be aware that it will not be as competitive as if you left it inboard. If it is a spec class and you're running against inboards then you will just get your butt handed to you on a platter!
Be a damn cool sport boat though!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
shannon87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi siberian thanks so much for all the great tips it realy helps and i appreciate it. I do plan on doing wha you are saying plenty of mesurements before i get the outboard.

When i did speak to darin jordan about this he did say the outboard should work great with the g lol and was thinking the same conversion but wither way it will be put together by someone who knows what there doing then ill start setting up from there but ill do as much research as i can while i hae the boat before making the plunge so to speak.

And saying all that about the larger cat thing well its not that muc bigger lol i have been talking to randy at bby racing he said he is more than happy to set his scat cat up to suit the outboard with some factory mods so which of course im taking that into great consideration as it has factory mods to suit that set up but the only thing thats stoppping me is the higher purchase price lol as its a custom build and i cant run it straight out of the box.

Thats why after discussing with darin and him saying it would work well on the g i was leaning towards that asit would give me time to sav for parts while still having a boat to run but yer the project is still in its early phases but im waitin on more feed back from darin and randy and going from there.

And i totally agree about the motley and not havin enough room in the front for batts plus being shorter and narrower.

But the boat will only be ran on spec power and one outboard though i know it will be slower than an inboard but it dont matter as id get whooped by other drivers anyways but it dont matter because im just about having fun and driving a boat thats unique and custom to me and as you said a damn cool sport boat and thats exactly what i want it for so in sayin that break neck speeds are my last concern.

But after a while when i get more serious ill be doing a larger cat around 37 inches with twin cyclon water cooled outrunners and T180 escs on 3s2p which should have plenty of power or 2 castle 2650 kv inrunners which would scream but thats when i learn to drive properly which should be able to do 50 plus mph with te right set up.

With the spec class it will be with tunnels as far as i know as this boat will only be the third of its kind at the club so yer the only inboard cats i know of are 6s and 10s beasts lol and like i said even if the miss g was left inboard the drivers experience would win out anyways.

The boats is going to beput together just to get me started in racing and to learn to set up and drive while having fun and making it custom to my taste along the way and yes i totally agree about the paint job its way to like fluro lol it will be getting a custom wrap from mono jeff at offshore.

And if the miss g accomplishes that than ill be pretty happy because at the end of the day its about enjoying yourself in a boat thats yours if i was really worried about speed i would just get a boat and put twin neu motors and castle hydra escs in it and go for broke lol.

I really appreciate all your help and input it means alot that your trying to point me in the right direction but see how it goes wit darin and randy then ill go from there cheers siberian
Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
shannon87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just and update i got a message from randy at bby racing he said he can set up a scat cat 32 modified and with outboard for around 500 buck swhich sounds pretty good and it will be properly modified for the outboard.

Though i did also ask if he could get me a miss g and do a conversion on that as it comes with electronics also but i could get them for the scat cat later and get a much higher rated esc and AQ 1800 kv motor from the sv27r the only thing is the PB 1500kv motor will have is more torque which should help push the added weight.

So once again pending what he says lol ill go from there but its a postive outcome i also asked darin about the transom being high enough so the prop depth in realtion to the ride pads can be set properly and if it will need an extensionbut if i go with the miss g and if randy can go that way also im sure he canfigure somethin out but so far the custom scat cat 32 seems like the best option and also adding a much higher rated esc and unless i go into club spec which would allow me to put in a more powerful motor as long as its an 3674 2 pole Xl series motor but see how it goes.

Though when i was looking at the stiletto hull the outboard was mounted near touching the bottom of the ride pads which just confuses melol but a tunnel is totally set up different but here is a pic anyways http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...4000BD&Index=6

I may also get there little duck decoy with the rescue gaff would make an awesome rescue boat which also can go where its a bit weedy just incase as i have thought about getting a mini c and attching a tow hook for the gaff but it would also get stuck in the weeds lol but then again i shouldnt be near the weeds anyways lol but the duck decoy isnt much more plus its already watercooled and a jet drive and designed to be a rescue craft i may chuck in a higher turn motor i dunno its a thought besides im not good casting fishing lines or having to paddle out in a raft.