Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

what 2.4ghz system to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

what 2.4ghz system to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 AM
hasek1616

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what 2.4ghz system to buy?

im going to be making myself a jetboat soon and im trying to make a list for parts and i noticed that spektrum has a purpose built marine receiver and iwas wondering if it would be worth it? this boat will be run at a good distance away from me since i have a lake near my residence, but it will also be run in creeks and rivers as well. any input on whether the spektrum is worth it or not would be greatly appreciatedalong withany suggestions
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what 2.4ghz system to buy?

Iam a HUGESpektrum fan. Iuse both Spetrum surface radios and stick radio's and love them . The more basic 2.4g system ihave is the Tactic surface radio system. GREAT radio, awesome price and very easy to work with also good range. If you are looking for a very basic 2.4g radio the Tactic would be it. Ilove mine as well. If you want all the bells & whistles go with a Spektrum. Iuse a DX3s for my boats, but they have a new dx3c coming out that looks great.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
joshreynolds777

I agree with diesel.

I picked a DX3 up used on ebay for $100
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
4mods

I've used spektrum radios for some time now but recently picked up one of the cheapest HK radios and have nothing but good luck with the system. Easy to waterproof for your boat as well. $20.00 for radio and rx, or you can find one with a nice screen for just over $30.00, you can't go wrong. Its what is controlling my trial truck and honcho as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spectrum ds3r with the telemetry rx's it comes with and waterproof them. That would be the best of the best IMO. However, i am patiently awaiting for this one from HK, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12181, mine is on the way. I got an extra rx for only 12 bucks too. Someone told me it looks like an airtronics radio.

I'll let ya know what i think when it gets here, ( could still be another week). For the price i don't think it can be beat, i had the cheap hk2 2.4 system and it worked pretty good, but one of the channels went out on me one day after i smoked my esc and the rx was in the way. Can't blame hk for that though.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Diesel6401

Ihave heard a lot of people liking that radio and this radio: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Here's my take on it. Most of my boats have between $400 - $800 worth of money into them, the LAST place Iwant to get cheap is the thing that keeps me in control of those boats. Ican setup every fail safe known to man on that Spektrum radio and IF I ever get out of range or something causes me to loose signal Iknow for a fact my boat won't do anything crazy like go full throttle or suddenly turn ect ect. NOW with that being said I am not saying the best radios have to be the most expensive, all I am saying is Igo with radios that have proven themself over time and have a good following and Iam confident in. Always remember, there's a reason forthe price differences. JMO please no one take offense to that.

ORIGINAL: 4mods
I've used spektrum radios for some time now but recently picked up one of the cheapest HK radios and have nothing but good luck with the system. Easy to waterproof for your boat as well. $20.00 for radio and rx, or you can find one with a nice screen for just over $30.00, you can't go wrong. Its what is controlling my trial truck and honcho as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

of course there is a reason for the price difference, but you have to decide if it is because of quality or if it is because of marketing cost, just a higher mark up, or are the components nicer and more expensive.

I'm sure spectrum has a better warranty claims process then most other companies out there. I believe Horizon Hobbies manufactures spectrum or however you want to put it and I think Horizons products and customer service are top notch.

Makes sense about having all that money into a boat to buy a radio that could possibly fail. The radio i suggested has a fail safe as well.

Just about everyone at the local track uses a dx3s or dx3r, it they don't have one they wish they did. Myself included but i think i might have a gem with that hk radio, or at least i'm hoping.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
4mods

Hes putting it in a plastic jet boat, I bet his over cost new doesn't even go over $150.00 including a cheap radio. I do think the marine rx for spektrum is the ultimate way to go with more expensive boats no doubt, but ya... for this case I think go cheap, they are that dependable for sure.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
hasek1616

I've actually been looking at that hobbyking radio and it looks pretty nice, but how would it compare to a traxxas link 2.4ghz radio? im just wondering because i already have a traxxas link receiver to spare
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM
4mods

Just use what you have there, I bet that rx will do just fine man.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Diesel6401

Use what you have is cool.

As long as they are dependable that's all that matters with the rescue boat.

I use a old FM radio on my rescue boats ( i use a rio ep or a apache 24) , but I KNOW it's dependable. I have seen people using cheap esc's in garbage motors in rescue boats before and it just amazed it. In my mine your rescue boat should prob be the most reliable boat in your fleet, you don't want your rescue boat needing rescued lol.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 AM
hasek1616

thanks for the help guys! i'll stick with the traxxas radio then
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Rake

Been using the flysky gt3b with very good results so far.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
rc18junky

ORIGINAL: Rake

Been using the flysky gt3b with very good results so far.
im using the gt3b on a few of my cars and will try it on the boat i will be getting plus the receivers are water proof

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooNzr5yZts[/youtube]
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still use my Futaba 3PM fm system. It has always been very reliable and has excellent programing options for what I have ever needed.

Would love to upgrade to the new 2.4 3PM but can't justify the cost in replacing 10 receivers.

Ryan
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Diesel6401

I waterproof all of my own rx's. Like my Tactic rx's and my Spektrum SR series rx's. Only thing I don't water proof is the Spektrum MR series rx's. Takes like 20 minutes to waterproof a RX. I also waterproofed my eagletree data logger and any Hifei swordfish (turnigy aquastar) series esc's. I have gotten a few drops of water on those esc's and poof they went. Ever since I have been waterproofing them they have been great.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

I still use my Futaba 3PM fm system. It has always been very reliable and has excellent programing options for what I have ever needed.

Would love to upgrade to the new 2.4 3PM but can't justify the cost in replacing 10 receivers.

Ryan
Funny you should mention that. I just bought 10 receivers for my HK GT3B 2.4g radio. It set me back about $60 - or about the cost of one Futaba R153F receiver. I'll be selling my Airtronics MX3 FHSS 2.4g system with receivers soon. Those Rx's sold for $89.99 new, so I had bought some used - when I could find them. Both systems are made in China (what isn't?), and have the same features. No more Airtronics for me. It's a crappy feeling when a $90 receiver gets wet and croaks.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your Airtronics system still sells for a pretty penny. The technology I own is nearly dead. No one wants FM any more. So to sell I'd have to nearly give it away and it still works very well for me.

I have 0 experience in the radios from HK. In the future I may bite the bullet and go for one. Still on the fence whether they are any good or not. I'll probably swap out my air system for 2.4GHz before the ground system. Only have a few receivers to go to waste in that case.

Ryan