Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Looking for a new hull

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new hull

I'm looking for a boat for my next project.

I've just finished working on a Kyosho Jetstream GP-10, which I bought off ebay.

The boat was made in around 1975. It's fully ABS, and was designed for a .10 nitro engine, gear reduction and a steerable outdrive. There are some good photos of the GP10 [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=742053]here[/link], although that isn't the exact one I bought.

I bought this boat off ebay in a bad way. I took out the old engine mount, gear reduction and pulled off all the stickers. I then repaired the hull (I had to cut a section out of the floor to remove the engine), and sanded down the yellowed (previously white) hull, and primed and painted it.

I rebuilt the radio tray and all the servo mounts, and built an aluminium motor mount for a 700 sized 13 turn motor (brushed). Water cooling on the can and brushes meant I could just squeeze 14.8v through and the motor didn't burn up, coupled with an 80A watercooled ESC and turnigy 4S lipo. I took it out to a lake to have a test and was delighted - the performance is excellent - plenty of power and it planes nicely.

However, I don't think that I'll be able to get much more speed out of it for a couple of reasons:
- The hull it very old and plastic, so rather brittle - not ideal for a modern brushless setup.
- The steerable outdrive robs a lot of power from the motor.
- The steerable outdrive will self destruct with much more power.
- The hull isn't designed for much more power - it's already starting to become a little unstable at high speeds.

While I could strip out the outdrive and fit a flex or solid shaft, I feel that this hull has reached it's limit, and it's time to move on.

As you might have gathered from my post, I get most of my enjoyment from working on the boat, rather than atually using it. Once I have finished a boat, I only use it very rarely - the fun is in fitting everything. Therefore, I'm not looking for an RTR boat - I want a hull to work on.

So, I'm looking for a new project!

I'm not fully decided on a hull type, although I like the idea of a cat, as I've done a few monos. Probably a boat around 800mm (32 inches). Something that can handle a little chop, so a hydro is out of the question.

http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...products_id=99 caught my idea while I was searching around. I'm looking for something that needs all it's hardware fitting, but will then offer good performance.

As I'm mainly looking for a fun build project, I'm thinking of a turnigy ESC with a turnigy brushless motor being around $100 together.

I also want the limiting factor to be the motor which I can easily upgrade later, rather than the hull. I've noticed several off Hobbyking's boat's reviews say some are unstable/very hard to setup - I'm looking for a hull that can go fast with the right power source/setup.

I'd really appricate any comments, suggestions or recommedations.

Andrew
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM
NobodyFamous

Default RE: Looking for a new hull

this is a really nice hull. Some people have got big speed out of it.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16518
I was told you can get it cheaper in white off HOR
Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 AM
cowana

Default RE: Looking for a new hull

I've ended up going for a 32" cat from R2hobbies.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10517683/tm.htm

Andrew