Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Entry level electric - RTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Entry level electric - RTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Dazma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entry level electric - RTR

Any thoughts on comparing the traxxas blast with the proboat impulse 26?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 AM
BACKEMF

Default RE: Entry level electric - RTR

I would say the impulse is a better boat being a newer design and a better v-hull.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are on a budget and looking for an RTR, I too would prefer the Impulse. It has a very good radio (2.4 gig), no steerable outdrive (a big plus!) and a modern hull design. About $30 more but the radio alone is worth that.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

what about the Aquacraft Minimono?
little brushless goodness!
http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats...ono/index.html
Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Dazma

Thanks .. another entry level question .. The impulse list recomended batts as Ni-MH .. are these different enough from Ni-Cd that i cant use the Ni-Cd, the reason i ask is Ialready have a couple of the NiCd packs and charger for them.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 AM
5lagd

Hello,
Ijust purchased an Impulse 26 and am really enjoying the boat. I am running a 7 cell nimh and am getting good speed and runtime. Here is a vid for you http://www.youtube.com/user/ldgasp#p/a/u/2/oDgd-ZwNrH4
Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 PM
yellow-bird

Hi Dazma

NiCds would be fine if they are sub-C cells (not AAsize) of reasonable capacity (more than 1500 mAh) - I have an ProBoat Shockwave 26 (predecessor to the Impulse 26) with the same motor and speed controller, and run it on 6 cell 1500 NiCds and NiMHs without any problems, although the batteries do get warm. I actually made a Y-splitter to connect my two NiCd packs in parallel to give me a 3000MaH battery (I velcro'd them on top of each other in the battery tray) for longer runs.

NiMh is preferred today because they are easier to recycle (no cadmium) and don't suffer the "memory effect" than NiCds sometimes do if they are not fully discharged before recharging.

I think the charging requirements are a bit different for NiMh batteries, so you may find you would need a new charger as well as new NiMh batteries if you wanted to switch - does your charger say if it will do NiMh packs as well?

- yellow-bird
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 AM
Dazma

I have the onyx 100 charger, I think it does nimh too.

Thanks for all replies
Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

RPM or other knowledgeable boaters enlighten me on the Impulse 26! Why run brushed motor in this boat. I imagine a buyer could strip the inside and put 2 layers of fiberglass for strenght and then go bl system. I thought brushed 550 and nimH were a part of the past. Don't take me wrong as it looks great but speed and runtime will suffer. BL motors are also cheap and lipos are a decent price. Now a 26" boat is a great size for alot of people and it will be a HIT. Just my 2 cts. I'm not degrading any person, just doesn't make sense unless you can buy just the hull and go from there. That would be my choice as i have the stuff to do this revamp. That's the fun part for me, i like doing.- I contacted Horizon on just HULL 26 only and they will sell hull only but ETA hasn't been established.