Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

My aquacraft 1800kv toasted

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

My aquacraft 1800kv toasted

Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
thomasjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My aquacraft 1800kv toasted

WeLL my new motor aquacraft 1800kv in myoutrigger is toast , BAD MANUFACTURE SOIDER JOB caused resistance , motor started cuting out then finaly Quit , made it to shore pulled it out poped of the lid motor temp 180 , esc 148 , they both cooled down then i gave it some juice while on the bench , motor sputered then came the SMOKE signals , disconected my esc from motor and the manufacture soiderd bullet connector pulled rt off , no sign of wire insulation begining to melt , PLAN AN SIMPLE BAD SOIDER JOB ON MAUUFACTURES PART , the resistance at the connetion caused motor to get hot and finaly burnt , it appears the esc SURVIVED. She is so insanely quick now tryed differnt prop she wants to keep hoping out of the water and the hole boat is twisting , Need to lower strut , widen the wing spand .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78283.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1672630  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My aquacraft 1800kv toasted

Over loaded motor caused the heat and melted the solder.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Diesel6401

+1 on that. The motor shown in the pic is a Proboat motor also.
ORIGINAL: doby

Over loaded motor caused the heat and melted the solder.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
thomasjohn

I dont think so , i think wire insulation would go before a soider connection , plus esc survived the motor burn up . it takes alot more heat to cause a soider connection to come apart , a bad soider connection my come apart with little heat ,not even enough to start wire melt . so my conclusion is bad soider .
Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 AM
doby

A poor solder connection will cause heat (area of high resistance) and possibly melt the solder. but the motor would be fine afterwards if you soldered the connection back together. As you stated to motor was at 180 degrees when you opened the lid (it was probably hotter than that when it itnitially died, so the connectors would have been even hotter trying to supply the added current draw to the (overloaded) motor. The connector with the weakest solder joint let go.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree, hot motor, hot ESC, hot solder is a big sign of a Motor being overloaded. Reduce your prop size or upgrade your power system to be able to sustain higher output power. What was your setup at the time failure occurred?

Ryan
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
thomasjohn

Ya but again a motor over loaded to the point of melting soider connections WOULDHAVEcertily started to melt wire insulation but it DIDNOT, the motor got hot and burnt up because of resistance in a bad soider connection , Today i ran same set up with my pro boat motor 1500kv on 5s with big prather 235 prop , motor temp with a slightly bent prop after hiting the rocky curb , was 114 , the esc 118 , batteries 120 , 118 , Not excesisively hot , so not really over loaded .
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 PM
ryan_t888

From the values provided in post #1, this suggests that there were high amounts of current in your motor, bullet plugs and ESC. Heat is a function of the square of current multiplied by resistance.

The weakest link happened to be the motor and bullet plugs as they both exceeded their maximum thermal capacity. This is rather unfortunate since a weak solder joint would have most definitely saved the ESC and motor from exceeding 140F.

In electricity and specifically our application, the weakest link is ALWAYS the first to fail. Once it fails, the chain is broken and current slows/stops. (Boat Slows/Stops) When there is a weak solder joint on a power system that is properly selected, the solder joint will fail first. Once failure occurs, current is reduced.

Always stop operation immediately if there is signs of problems. Do not "limp" back to shore. If a solder joint had failed and one were to start and stop the motor, this can greatly increase heat in all components.

Please explain how increased resistance caused from a bad solder joint creates excessive heat in the motor and ESC.

Ryan
Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 AM
cowana

A high resistance solder joint will cause a larger voltage drop over the connector. This results in more heat being generated at the connector, but also less voltage getting to the motor. THis will reduce the current the motor draws, and the power the motor dissipates.

Therefore, a high resistance solder joint will actually create less heat in the motor - the connector dissipates the extra power.

A
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 AM
doby

There is a difference of 300KV between the 2 motors you describe, that makes a substantial difference in current draw.

Nex time you solder connectors, hold the soldering iron against the wire insulation....guess what....it doesn't melt that easily.

But anyways....its apparent that the fault was yours but you seem convinced that you are blameless. Buy another 1800 kv motor and see what happens...

Better yet, take a course in basic electronics.

Insanity...doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results......
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM
thomasjohn

Now how can you say that motor was overloaded , with out knowing everthing about my boat , YOUCANTprevious run with same set up there was no temp problem , You failed the test my friends, it was a cooling hose leaking that caused the motor to heat up , which lead toa poor soider connection to come lose , Which lead to a motor burn up. Learning doing the same thing over and over untill the results are perfected ,Your idea of insanity is weak at best . Take a course in Psychology .
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
ryan_t888

ORIGINAL: thomasjohn

Now how can you say that motor was overloaded , with out knowing everthing about my boat , YOU CANT previous run with same set up there was no temp problem , You failed the test my friends , it was a cooling hose leaking that caused the motor to heat up , which lead to a poor soider connection to come lose , Which lead to a motor burn up. Learning doing the same thing over and over untill the results are perfected , Your idea of insanity is weak at best .
I'd sit hear and explain it in full detail however, are you really looking to learn here, or are you just going to disregard what everyone says and apply your own set of rules?

How are you so certain that a solder joint failed your motor? How do motors fail? How did your motor fail? Explain to us using common electrical knowledge of how the solder joint created a failed motor? We need to understand what you mean by this as it does not make sense at all.

EDIT: I have reviewed your posts and they highly suggest you are new to rigger style hulls and possibly electric setups.

Ryan

Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM
doby

Now how can you say that motor was overloaded , with out knowing everthing about my boat , YOU CANT previous run with same set up there was no temp problem , You failed the test my friends , it was a cooling hose leaking that caused the motor to heat up , which lead to a poor soider connection to come lose , Which lead to a motor burn up. Learning doing the same thing over and over untill the results are perfected , Your idea of insanity is weak at best . Take a course in Psychology .

A broken solder connection does not cause the motor to burn up as you stated. Now you change your story. Not sure you have a clue..

PS..Don't forget to add a turn fin.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
ryan_t888

It also looks to me as if the prop is far too deep. Could be the photo but from what I am seeing it looks like it is much too deep. A straight on shot from the rear can make this much more clear.

It also looks like there would be a lot of prop weight. The after plane distance to the prop is a lot larger than the length of the front sponson. In this case CofG would generally be quite far back. CofG should be at the turn fin or just a couple inches behind.

Where's your CofG?

Ryan
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your idea of insanity is weak at best . Take a course in Psychology .
Guess who has studied Psychology (boat stand is one good use for such a book) - Shame that is all you are willing to learn though

To those offering valuable advice - you should know by know there are some people who already have all the answers and will spend the next few years blaming anything and everything for the failures they encounter.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 PM
thomasjohn

I'm still learning dude ,it was not the poor soilder connection that burnt the motor , one of the water cooling tubes from the esc was lose weaked water some got in the motor caused it to short out and BURN , actually the center of gravity on this rigger is perfect about 2 1/2 in behind the sponces , i put a 3s in the nose , 2s rt behind it with esc next to it , from the motor back is nothing but servo and tiny reciver , you are rt theprop was to low corrected it , went to the lake today it done surpriseingly well , with the 1500kv pro boat motor 5s , 90amp sea king esc , bent unbalanced 235 prather prop straightend prop with pliers , all wieghting in at 4.6 lbs , was doing about 52 + mph .
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
doby

Brushless motors will run submerged....a few drops of water will not short out a motor.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
thomasjohn

Ya rt submerged .
Old 10-16-2011, 08:16 PM
ryan_t888

They will. You can't just apply your own theories.

Here's my Tunnel. Can you see where the motor is? I've seen many folks while I was racing this tunnel hull, drive it back to shore upside down fully submerged if it sat in the water low enough.

Think about it, the motor is not covered and well outside of the hull. It's wet every run.

Ryan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65758.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1675351   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43535.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1675352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56459.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1675353  
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 AM
doby

So a poor solder connection caused the motor to overheat......no wait,,,the cooling line was leaking and it caused the motor to heat up and transfered excess heat to the solder connection causing it to melt......no wait,,,,the water cooling leaks caused it to short out.....

......next theroy is....????

Wait a minute...I have one...how about an overloaded motor!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Diesel6401

Not to be rude, but with that comment (along with others) it is truly clear you have a lot to learn. Instead of arguing, maybe try to absorb some of the good information you are receiving. Everyone doesn't know eveything, but when numerous people (experienced people) are giving you the same information you may want to think about it.

Ya rt submerged .
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
thomasjohn

I dont really know dude and either do you , ran that same set up previously no exsessive over heating problem , but there is a good posibility its the 3s skylipo 3300 and a off brand 3200 2s in series that caused it to heat up that day.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 PM
ryan_t888

A forum troll is someone who anticipates the reactions of their readers or provokes the readers to reply. They commonly respond with conflicting posts, extreme lack of knowledge and in there best interest to waste time.]
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
doby

WeLL my new motor aquacraft 1800kv in my outrigger is toast , BAD MANUFACTURE SOIDER JOB caused resistance , motor started cuting out then finaly Quit , made it to shore pulled it out poped of the lid motor temp 180 , esc 148 , they both cooled down then i gave it some juice while on the bench , motor sputered then came the SMOKE signals , disconected my esc from motor and the manufacture soiderd bullet connector pulled rt off , no sign of wire insulation begining to melt , PLAN AN SIMPLE BAD SOIDER JOB ON MAUUFACTURES PART , the resistance at the connetion caused motor to get hot and finaly burnt , it appears the esc SURVIVED. She is so insanely quick now tryed differnt prop she wants to keep hoping out of the water and the hole boat is twisting , Need to lower strut , widen the wing spand .

You now say you don't know...but you sound pretty sure of yourself here in you first post.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
doby

I dont really know dude and either do you , ran that same set up previously no exsessive over heating problem , but there is a good posibility its the 3s skylipo 3300 and a off brand 3200 2s in series that caused it to heat up that day.

And now its the LiPos fault....

Running different brand and capacity LiPos is not a good idea either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.