Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

will this work?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM
donone1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will this work?

i have a dumas 48 "pt 109 fiberglass hull kit i would like to power it using two water cooled 4800 Kv brush-less motors and matching speed controls with 3 cell 2200mAh lopos one battery to each motor? if NOT what would work should i add a 3rd motor? i am new to boats and kinda clueless as to how to set these up. also need to know what prop sizes to use what rotation set up for 2 and 3 props, drive shaft and stuffing tube i would like scale speeds but and little extra speed would be nice. Please help thanks ...........Don.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
clockworkclock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: will this work?

48 " hull?
those 4800kv are no good, the amps that sucker would pull would cause thermal meltdown.
for a boat that large you are looking at a kv rating <1700kv using 5-6 cell lipos or more.
I am not sure if this is a mono or a cat, if it is a mono I can tell you that getting two struts on the back which are at the same level and straight woul be a huge pain. On a cat it would be a little easier I imagine. also 2200mah would be nowhere near sufficient. My 40" mono runs 2x 5S lipos in parallel with a total of 6000mah. you would probably want more.
In fact I am upgrading my current setup to 2x 6S lipos 8000mah each. Total of 16Ah, Woot!
so yeah, no 4800kv, they would pull crazy amps and literally melt.
When you get to these bigger systems you generally will need to go with an HV setup.
Clock.