Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

cheap esc and brushless

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

cheap esc and brushless

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
miamibanshee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap esc and brushless

where can i find a dirt cheap esc and brushless motor for my proboat impulse 26 i dont want to dump alot of money on it
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
almaidah

Default RE: cheap esc and brushless

here are some choices i got the 120amp http://www.nitrorcx.com/rcboatesc.html
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

miami, i'd try hobby king! off the top of my head, i think 35 bucks for a 60a esc that should be fine, or better, spend the 50 dollars for a 120a esc, it will be fine. absent extraordinary circumstances or defects of course.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Von Ohain

Try the Suppo ESCs, they are good, and very cheap. You get a 190A ESC for 30$
(They have revisited their previous design, so previously mentioned design flaws is now corrected.)
As for cheap motors, you should go with an outrunner, heli motor.
There doesn't exist, at least not to my knowledge, any dirt cheap and good innrunners. Leopard being the cheapest I know, which is still good.
Turnigy H-series outrunner heli motors is good stuff, and the reason you should be looking for a heli motor is because they got an internal cooling fan. Good for boats, where air circulation is poor inside the hull. Make sure to use a water cooled motor mount with these, as cooling jackets is useless.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
madmorgan

turnigy from hk inrunners are half of what a leopard is in cost but arent proven yet that is ,i smacked a 2200 kv in the pursuit running 4s x2 3650 mah parellel with a x445 and shes running about 37 mph motor came back in nice and cool i will prob put the m445 on and see what happens then goto a x447 aslong as the temps are ok i may barcut the 447 and leave it be
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Von Ohain

If you mean the Turnigy XK inrunners, take a look in my thread "Leopard Red Series vs. Turnigy XK Series".
A short resume of what basically came out of it is that there is both good and bad XKs out there, but there is no reliable way of telling the good ones apart from the bad ones until you actually got one in your hand and open it up for inspection.
Maybe you got lucky. I bought a Turnigy XK aswell, and it was basically similar to a KB45 inside. Rubbish, in other words.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Von is right on outrunners for heli. Chiocing the correct one depends on your size lipo ( 3S or 4S ). Now inrunners have gotten to be a waste. Escs; HK has a T120 for $49.00 which is watercooled. There should be a posting om the 26 about which size power is best. You can overpower a boat and be unhappy which doubles your overall cost. Do some forum searching unless Von has an answer. He seems to be very knowledgeable. I like to run high kv like 2700kv on 3S and 3900 on 2s but have to be choosy on size and pitch of prop . I'm a sport runner and have too many boats. I just put a halt on spending as health problems arose. That's my take on boats. Now heli motors: Someone can chime in on that arena. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Von Ohain

If dirt cheap is the aim, nothing beats a Suppo for ESC.
I use the 190A aircraft ESC, where I simply replaced the stock heatsink for a watercooled heatsink.
Cheap as chips, 29$, and it works. Its actually one of just 2 of my boat regulators that has lasted one full season.
Its this Suppo, and a Turnigy 180A, which costs 2 or 3 times as much.

Personally I got bad experiences with the T-120 "Aquastar". It has loose water nipples which causes it to leak water inside, first causing clitching and over time destroying it.
Of course I didn't find out of that before it was too late.
Now there is also a T-120 "Marine", and if thats any different I wouldn't know, never tried it.

What Kv he should get for his motors depends on what batteries he has, and if he has no batteries in advance I recommend 6S.
The reason for choosing 6S is because more voltage will give less amp draw for the same power, which again means less heat loss, less strain on ESC and battery and higher overall efficiency.
The reason for not going higher than 6S, even though as high as possible would be ideal, is because chargers and ESCs over 6S still tends to be expensive.
So 6S is the maximum battery cell count for an economy setup.
Anything less than 6S should be considered a crime for a brand new setup, since nearly all new ESCs and chargers will accept at least 6S
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Thanks Von on the knowledge you typed, appreciate it. I keep learning every day on rc boats.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM
madmorgan

them turnigy 180's are over rated imho hk ss 190-200 a  add you own water cooling plate its just above the suppo price usa has em too for like 30 somethin if your a member . i smoked a 180 cuz i used the internal bec on 6s  i believe it can handle 6's with external bec but you better watch your props  oh and sand the fets down level and water proof the stink out of it . i personally wont buy another one but now every1 has the gist of em so they work for most ppl.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 PM
madmorgan

6 s is way to much for that impulse lol (both weight and speed) but it could be fun make sure you pack the hull tight with pool noodles and tape everything up cuz on 6s that baby will fly and flip easily. i'd say a good 3-4 s setup would be the answer with a 120 a - 150 a esc and about 2800 - 3000 kv 36mm canned motor would be a very safe setup( 3s) batts will be cheaper esc and motor will be cheaper!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Von Ohain

Suppo/HK has revisited their previous design of their ESC and previous flaws is now corrected.
You can tell the new ones apart from the old ones by their rating, the old ones is rated 7S, the new ones is rated 10S.

As for the T-180A, I wouldn't blame it.
You shouldn't use internal BEC on any ESC when going as high as 6S.
Suppos is OPTO, and thats in my opinion an advantage, because it doesn't allow people to do the mistake of using internal BEC at high cell counts.
On my T-180 I defused the internal BEC by cutting the red signal wire, and it works like a clock.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
madmorgan

funny a guy over on offshore just had his t 180 blow up almost smoked a new lipo a few days ago. you keep your t-180's i will try other stuff its probably best if you can afford em to just go with cc esc's but there again its man made and who knows what he was thinking about when he was making it  lol