Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hydrofoils Inc. 24E Zytiron

Just curious if anyone else here has one of these of Fast Electric Hydrofoils. I'm still in the beginning stages of rebuilding my boat and figure I'd share a few before photos.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32776.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	1747320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm37242.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	1747321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo31837.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	1747322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At54609.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	1747323  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hydrofoils Inc. 24E Zytiron

WOW. I never knew there were any rc hydrofoils except for custom jobs. This custom? It looks gorgeous.
    Have you ran this boat before, I am interested in knowing how well it performs.
    Clock
    If it isn\'\'t capable of turning itself into shrapnel, it needs more power!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with the above- got any footage?
    Hello, the IMAX b6 quattro fits the bill?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks to both of you for the kind words!

This is a boat my Dad manufactured, and I helped with during the mid 1990s. His company is called Hydrofoils, Inc and his work consists primarily of full size boat designs. Over the years he's had to test a few designs with RC models and this one in particular was marketed to the public for a short time. I was lucky enough to be the resident RC guy so I was always "factory test pilot" for all his designs.

I'm finding a sprinkling of these boats on other forums, scattered about the world really, so I thought there may be others here.

I'm in the process of trying to hunt down old VHS footage of the boats running I know there was some out there. Regardless, once I get this one back in the water I'll start posting new videos everywhere I can!

Here is an old press release photo of an early design running at speed up on it's foils.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37145.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	1747683  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man, that running photo looks great. It makes me want to have a crack at building one.
    The rudder on that boat is truly amazing with the integrated foil. Very clever design.
    It just looks so impressive, I envy you greatly.
    Please keep us posted and let us know what you plan on running in her.
    Clock.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At speed an air rudder would work well helping to reduce drag? Also if eight is not too much of an issue an elevator might aid stability, he'll, but some aeirons on too for control in all axis!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you both again! I made some great progress Saturday and fired up all the old electronics for the first time in 16 years. The boat itself is also much too dark so I'm in the process of cleaning up all the metal bits while repainting the hull a much brighter color. I was nervous I could lose a dark boat much too quickly.
    @ clock that back rudder definitely helped the whole system out by providing lift and of course turning - plus some prop walk elimination. You may be surprised but the faster we were getting the boats the less lift we needed in that back foil so it got smaller over time.
    @ goldenduff you can't see it in the running pic because it's an older design, but the newer hulls, like the purple one actually have negative lift designed into them. There's so much lift on the foils my dad was able to use the hull to push down on the boats at speed and really lock in to a stable drive. If you look at my personal gallery there is a rocket powered boat that we ran with all kinds of wings pushing down while the foils push up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds very interesting, would any aircraft type controls help steering at speed? Or even help get it up on the foils? Still waiting for video footage!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'd be surprised how quickly it lifts off, basically immediate. Kind of like barefoot skiing, the physics of it force it to happen. The faster it goes the more lift the foilsgenerate.
    There doesn't seem to be any old VHS video after trying all my known sources. I know that there were some kits that went out the door with a supplied video as well as some videos that were mailed out for various reasons, but nothing has turned up. Unfortunately this means I may not have video util I get it in the water again. I'm hoping within within the next two weeks though! I wanna see it too!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear you are struggling finding the footage.

Don't mean to bang on but how do hydrofoils handle turns?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh I don't mind at all, in fact I appreciate the questions.  Turns are nice and crisp since the two front foils are acting as stingers. So, it's as though it's on rails but at three points instead of two.  

We never ran them head to head against hydros or riggers, but at the time the design was based around the Graupner Tornado, Because of that the general specs are similar and in fact the recommended stock set-was was directly from Graupner with their old 500 motor and solid shaft set-up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fair enough.
    Motors and batteries have come along dramatically- I wouldn't be surprised if you updated the power system you could go apart twice as fast or run the same speed for much longer given lipo ability to deliver high amps and weighing less than 1g/mah.
    Still awaiting footage! Was this faster than the boat you took motor from?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright paint is nearly complete, then I need to go through the process of reassembly and sealing up up the hatch, etc.  

You know at the time, nitro boats were really the dominant force in the industry so we didn't have that much stuff to directly compare our boats to. I have some old magazines that ran some articles about our boats.  I'll see if I can find them and that may help give you an idea of how they compared. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Updates?
    Please upload painted photos.
    Clock.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'd asked for some hydrofoil footage a long time ago. Here are two videos at long last. One shot last week and one of our old promo videos cleaned up a little. It is very old so I apologize for the quality. .