Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

ESC recommendation ???

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

ESC recommendation ???

Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC recommendation ???

I got my CC hyrda Ice 240 wet, its being sent to CC, Inc. for repair, but im afraid theyre gonna tell me its not warranteed, and run me $150 for the repair.
If that happens, I might be thinking about a different controller.
Is there anything out there thats better for at or below $150?
Im mad as Hell, the dang thing says "waterproof" seems like it really should be warranteed as such. Other wise, call it "water resistant"
for $300, i honestly never thought I'd ever need an other ESC.... but now... i dunno...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Diesel6401

Default RE: ESC recommendation ???

Same thing happened to mine, they didn't even ask it was only 3 months old and under warrenty. They replaced for free. Im not a huge CC esc fan. I love their motors and love castle link, but the hobbywing escs as better reliability at a fraction of the cost. That cost for cars and boats, I don't even trust the CC esc's in any of my planes.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
joshreynolds777

Thanks for commenting Diesel. I'm gonna cross my fingers hard and hope they replace it. It's exa fly a year old. Only like 7 runs on it. Anyway if they don't agree to replacing. Maybe I'll give that hobbywing a try
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Diesel6401

Yea Ilove the hobbywings. If Ibuild a nice plane, it runs a hobbywing esc! I wouldn't think about putting a castle in it. On my boats I run Swordfish and Hobbywings 99% of the time.

ORIGINAL: joshreynolds777

Thanks for commenting Diesel. I'm gonna cross my fingers hard and hope they replace it. It's exa fly a year old. Only like 7 runs on it. Anyway if they don't agree to replacing. Maybe I'll give that hobbywing a try
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM
joshreynolds777

I'm sure there's a thread I could search for ... But is there a way to truly water proof these ESC's?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Diesel6401

I've had good luck waterproofing my esc's, servos and receivers. Idid a video on youtube (2 actually) showing a esc, servo and rx being ran underwater...

ORIGINAL: joshreynolds777

I'm sure there's a thread I could search for ... But is there a way to truly water proof these ESC's?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 AM
joshreynolds777

saw a $85 ish 180A hobbywing boat esc on ebay coming from Arizona... hows that sound? Would you guys recomend the programming card? or just keep it on the factory auto setting?

btw, i have an etti 150 A boat esc i'd like to get rid of if you know anyone interested. I cant stand the programmin on the thing
Old 05-05-2012, 02:24 PM
RCBOAT_ADDICT

Hello,
I agree whole heartily with Diesel that Hobbywing ESC's are the only way to go, I use them in both my boat and trucks.

How much for shipping on the 180A unit on you saw on eBay?? HobbyPartz has them for $92.70 with free shipping and they take PayPal too.

About the programming card... some yes, some say no. There's only 4 settings for the boat ESC's, but i've run into situations where the card made first time setup much easier.

Goto HW's website and get the manual, at the beginning it talks about training your tx and esc to understand each other. There's been several times when I've had to connect the card and set it up for both forward & reverse (item #1) until I finished that process, then go back to forward only.

Think about it this way... If you can't get the esc & tx to work together,then how can you use the tx to program the esc?? Classic case of what came first - thechicken or the egg??Program card solves that problem thus reducing frustration.

Another nice thing about the card it that it makes it real easy to precisely setup the lipo cutoff voltage. the company that made your batteries should supply that info on the box / package / there website,what-ever.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
joshreynolds777

Hey guys.
I think I figured out my problem.
I don't know if it was on the timmimg setting or what. But I'm glad my cc 240 got ruined. While I waited on myth em to replace it. I picked up a hobbywing for $80. And the boat flippingxhaulls!!! I finally know what you guys arextalkingxabout when you say 6 s might be too much!!
Don't know who told me about it. But wow!!!

Think it was diesel !!!
Thank you man.
Have t even touched the settings!!!!
May not even change prop!!!!

Hide Signatures

(in reply to asupervee72)