Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Newbie needing advice on a boat

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Newbie needing advice on a boat

Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 AM
stuey4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needing advice on a boat

I am ready to make a purchase on a electric boat. i really wanted the traxxas spartan, but after reading some post on here, doesn't sound to go about the spartan. so what would you guys recomond for a boat? I would like to buy something rtr. my budget would be up to $500. it needs to be a good boat for calm to choppy water.I liked the look of the spartan, and especially like size! its big. so any recomondations would be greatly appreciated. I don't want somthing that is for a 15 year old beginner. i want something that will keep me happy for a while!lol p.s. if anybody know of anyone looking for a traxxas summit, i have one for sale!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 PM
fatbill69

Default RE: Newbie needing advice on a boat

I had a pro boat impulse for a while before I finally gave it to a friend who had to have it! It is not as fast as the one you alluded to, but it is a good boat and handles well even in choppy water. Of course, if you wanted to go real fast with a ready-built boat, you could get the stilleto tunnel hull, but I don't think that will run very well in choppy water (however it will flip over if you gun the throttle). So my vote would be the for the Impulse. V-hulls cut through the chop pretty well.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM
stuey4

thanks for the reply, i think after looking at the impulse 31 i am leaning towards that boat. is it a better boat than the spartan overall other than speed? I know its not as big as the spartan, but looks like a nice boat!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
stuey4

what would be the best battery set up for the impulse, and what kind of speeds would we be talking about?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Mine does 32 mph according to GPS. I, and most others, use two 2s 5000 lipos. I get around 8 minutes run time.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 AM
fatbill69

Sorry, I don't remember what battery setup I used, as it was a while ago. But I remember it was very fast for a v-hull, in the 30 mph range. I thought Iremember the charge lasting more than just 8 minutes though! Anyway, it is not a speed demon but it is fast enough, and faster isn't always necessarily bettter. And more importantly, the boat handles well.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM
fatbill69

I don't have any experience with the Spartan, but those speeds with that hull don't sound like a good combination. Seems to me if you powered it up and hit a small wave it would take off and explode on its return to earth! I'd be scared of damaging it at those speeds.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

I remember when mine was brand new with new lipos it did 14 minutes before cutoff. Now I can hear the rpm's drop so I get it in before cutoff.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM
bencorecycle

I have a brand new fiberglass deep vee hull that is very similar to the spartan, but it is built with the right high quality components and costs less than the spartan and best of all it won't catch on fire or break into pieces like the spartan. PM me if interested I can send you photos. It is set to run 4s or 5s batts and can handle rough water. great boat. I'm building my own exactly like it but with upgraded hardware and elecs and it'll break 70 mph. what I'm getting at is this boat can be run as is and be very fast 40-50mph but when you're hooked and want sick speed it can do that too with just some electronic upgrades. PM if interested I can shoot you over some pics