Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Choosen Offshore Warrior 2 Updates(Video Inside)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Choosen Offshore Warrior 2 Updates(Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM
monnette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosen Offshore Warrior 2 Updates(Video Inside)

Dear Guys,

First of all this is my my first post on the RC boat forum. (lurker for quite sometime)

I am choosing between the Joysway mono X and the offshore warrior (glass hull).
I am leaning towards getting the offshore because of its fiberglass hull but it's not self righting like the monoX .
As a newbie on RC boats its better to have a selfrighting boat.

Another concern for me about the offshore warrior is the speed I am not sure if I can control it well since I am a newbie at least on a boat.
But I do have a few yrs experienced with Nitro buggys.

Hope that some of you have an experienced/knowledge on this 2 boats could help me in my decesion making
on what to get as my first boat

Cheers,
Monnette
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM
diy-pro

Default RE: Choosen Offshore Warrior 2 Updates(Video Inside)

Get the faster more expensive one. Its not hard to get a boat on a plane don't worry about steering its not like an RC car they ride smooth and straight once the boats rudder is dialed in and the boats balanced. If you have a little common sense and mechanical know how you'll be fine. A trained chimp can do it. Who do you think puts aquacraft bricks together lol
Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 AM
monnette

Thanks DIY , now I really need to try rc boat. very encouraging thoughts from you.
Would love to hear more inputs from the others.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 AM
diy-pro

Lol thanks man not that I'm encouraging you to spend your money but if you like nitro buggies I'm sure you like your bang for your Buck. Don't let anyone discourage you saying you can't slap a bad boat together being a newb to boats its not rocket science. It me a little tedious at first but its not rocket science. One thing don't ever jurk the steering at full speed everything has a flipping point, unless your like me and enjoy testing limits. Though some boats hook the water very well and will do a complete 180
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
jcjrogers

I took a little different approach, though it might not befor everyone. I got the Offshore Warrior lite, which is self-righting (for all practical purposes), so I would also have a future rescue boat. It also gives me the opportunity to learn basic boat maintenance and repair allfor a small amount of money. It isfast when compared to the coin-op amusement park boats I've tried(years ago). Obviously, it isn't anywhere near as fast as more expensive boats, but it runs on plane, throws a rooster-tail, etc.... pretty much like any RC speed boat.

Though I've never run a better/faster RC boat than the one I have, I can pretty safely say that if your looking for something that requires a lot of RC skill, RC boating probably isn't it. I got intoRC helis about 7 months ago with a toy coaxial, and now have a small fixed pitch and a micro collective pitch helicopter. I really got the boat because I live on a lake and wanted something simple and fun to supplement the much more challenging helis. I guess avoiding flips and rolls would increase the "challenge factor", but you're still just prettymuch manipulating throttle and left/right steering in a vast, wide-open area.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Wavekatcher

I am a trained chimp and I love my Super Mono X. Good little boat for the money
Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 AM
monnette

Thanks for your input JC.. I also considered the offshore lite before narrowing to the above 2 boats. I saw some nice video of it
really cut to the plane quite fast. But it's the brushed motor that puts down some points for me. I really prefer
brushless as I am here in China. and I can get a lot of parts/supply in a very fair price.

Happy Boating,
Monnette

Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 AM
monnette

Good to hear you love you mono X wavecatcher....I've heard some initial review about the bearing of the SMX and ESC
going kaput quit quick. How was your holding up?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 AM
siberianhusky

WOW I find heli's to be boring as anything to fly, only fun is tinkering with the mechanicals. Give me a 60+ mph boat and the skills it requires to tune and drive it safely around a course holding your lane with 5 other guys!
Give me a pack of cars heading into turn 1 after the flag drops, give me combat (even C/L) or pylon racing (I suck but it's exciting)
Back to boats.
If you can afford or save some more money I would go for a bigger ready to run boat from either proboat or aquacraft or a Pursuit from Kinetec (great boat! Proven race winner! no radio though).
a) Higher initial quality by a long shot
b) Much faster right out of the box with no upgrades or mods, trust me you will want to go faster pretty soon! (most people do change the props)
c) Huge dealer network - almost any hobbyshop can order spares through their suppliers usually no waiting for parts from over seas.
d) More stable, bigger boat, able to run in conditions that will beach a smaller boat.
e) If you decide to get out of the hobby you would have a much easier time selling a quality well known RTR boat.
f) If you really love the hobby you have a boat that can fit into established racing classes with no changes.
g) Quality name brand radio gear - either Spektrum or Tactic, easy to get receiver for them so you can use the same radio with other future models.
h) Most models have aftermarket upgrades easily available made for the boat, no guessing or modifying.

Don't worry about driving, a guy was out with us yesterday for the first time with a new Revolt, he had a blast and was running full tilt in a short while.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM
MassiveOverkill

You've probably already read my threads and see my videos on the SMX.

Blowing the ESC:  Stay with 1800 mAh batteries on the stock ESC.  You'll get about 4.5 minutes run time, but going with 2200 mAh like I did adds more weight, which puts more load on the motor\ESC, not just from the added weight, but also from the increased amperage.  If you get a replacement ESC, 60A is the most I'd go because of weight. 

The bigger boats are nicer and beefier, simply because there's alot more room to install beefier components..........unforunately very few of them are self-righting........you'll see some self-righting ones that use flood chambers and I looked into these, but many of them require hatch tape, which frankly is just one more thing that takes time away from enjoying the boat and one more maintenance item to keep in stock. 

Boca Bearings are a great upgrade to any boat, not just the SMX...although they're more likely to be needed sooner on the SMX.  If you decide to buy it, lube the bearings before the first run (although you really shouldn't have to as they're all supposed to be shipped with grease from the factory, but alas we're talking Chineese labor) and after every outing using a pen oiler.

The 2.4 Ghz radio on the SMX looks cheap and doesn't have a whole lot of extra trim features, but it works just fine and has plenty of range.  At the very worst, if you want something better, it will make a great recovery boat.

The number one drawback to the SMX is it's propietary motor mount, which uses the bell-mount system found on park flyers, which prevents you from upgrading\replacing the motor.  I've had to rewind my motor after it burned up...........it actually runs better on the rewound motor, but this isn't something anyone can or is willing to do.

That being said, I would get the Offshore Warrior.............I've seen videos of this boat absolutely flying.  Fighter-Cat Racing copied this boat (or just buy them and upgrade the hardware and call it their own) and it's a great small boat.  It may be my next upgrade.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
NobodyFamous

I second what siberianhusky said, except the flying stuff.  I don't fly airplanes. . . yet!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 AM
jcjrogers

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

WOW I find heli's to be boring as anything to fly, only fun is tinkering with the mechanicals. Give me a 60+ mph boat and the skills it requires to tune and drive it safely around a course holding your lane with 5 other guys!
No argument on fun. That's why I got a boat myself, and I'm having fun ataround 15 mphso even just 30 mph would be amazing.. My point was regarding skill, though I agree, if you get into racing other boats on a course, the skill level would increase as would the fun. For me, I don't have anybody to race against so it is just me sitting on my dock running the boat. There's no comparisonto the skill level it takes to fly my helis, but I'm not anywhere close to being a good enough heli pilot to make my helis do what I was able to do with my boat the first outing.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
monnette

ORIGINAL: MassiveOverkill

You've probably already read my threads and see my videos on the SMX.

Blowing the ESC: Stay with 1800 mAh batteries on the stock ESC. You'll get about 4.5 minutes run time, but going with 2200 mAh like I did adds more weight, which puts more load on the motor\ESC, not just from the added weight, but also from the increased amperage. If you get a replacement ESC, 60A is the most I'd go because of weight.

The bigger boats are nicer and beefier, simply because there's alot more room to install beefier components..........unforunately very few of them are self-righting........you'll see some self-righting ones that use flood chambers and I looked into these, but many of them require hatch tape, which frankly is just one more thing that takes time away from enjoying the boat and one more maintenance item to keep in stock.

Boca Bearings are a great upgrade to any boat, not just the SMX...although they're more likely to be needed sooner on the SMX. If you decide to buy it, lube the bearings before the first run (although you really shouldn't have to as they're all supposed to be shipped with grease from the factory, but alas we're talking Chineese labor) and after every outing using a pen oiler.

The 2.4 Ghz radio on the SMX looks cheap and doesn't have a whole lot of extra trim features, but it works just fine and has plenty of range. At the very worst, if you want something better, it will make a great recovery boat.

The number one drawback to the SMX is it's propietary motor mount, which uses the bell-mount system found on park flyers, which prevents you from upgrading\replacing the motor. I've had to rewind my motor after it burned up...........it actually runs better on the rewound motor, but this isn't something anyone can or is willing to do.

That being said, I would get the Offshore Warrior.............I've seen videos of this boat absolutely flying. Fighter-Cat Racing copied this boat (or just buy them and upgrade the hardware and call it their own) and it's a great small boat. It may be my next upgrade.
Yes Massive , I have gone thru all your threads and vids on youtube about the SMX.
I have noted the drawbacks and good side of this boat and compared it to the OSW.
I already made a decision and ordered the Offshore Warrior instead.
got it for 100US$ without the radio and battery.

Thanks for your input. It really helps me to decide

Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
monnette

Thanks you guys that gave your inputs.

Have made my decision and ordered the Offshore warrior yesterday,
I have bought a ARTR without the TX and battery for 630yuan RMB about 100US$
Isnt it a good deal.

I also ordered a 11.1v 2200mah 3S 25C lipo same brand Joysway.
and an IMAX lipo B6AC charger.
I prefer to use the stock battery for the meantime and later get a second better one.
Also ordered the Flysky GT3B radio for only 32US$ for my TX.

Hope to get all these in the coming 2 days. I am very excited.
Cant wait to run it this coming Sunday.

Cheers,
Monnette
Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 PM
diy-pro

32$ for the gt3b i paid that for my fsgt2 imma come stay with you for a min k
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: monnette

Isnt it a good deal.

I prefer to use the stock battery for the meantime and later get a second better one.

Cheers,
Monnette
Do they sell online internationally? I'd love to order that same deal. BTW I'm a fellow Flip (asuming you're Filipino), although I don't speak Tagalog. Oh yeah, did Martin confirm if it's self-rigthing?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM
monnette

ORIGINAL: monnette

Isnt it a good deal.

Cheers,
Monnette
Do they sell online internationally? I'd love to order that same deal. BTW I'm a fellow Flip (asuming you're Filipino), although I don't speak Tagalog. Oh yeah, did Martin confirm if it's self-rigthing?
Nope I ordered directly from (www.taobao.com) it's the eqivalent of Amazon in the US.
but website is all in chinese. I ask the local guy to purchase for me as they don't even allow paypal payment.
they only use Alipay (china paypal version) LOL .. .

Self righting-I haven't drop him a PM yet but as far as I read from the OSE threads it will self on the proper
battery positioning and to they suggest to put a foam on the canopy hatch cover and put a pool noodle on the
front of the hull.

I just got the boat this morning and waiting for the charger and TX.

BTW. I am a Filipino stationed here in Guangzhou,China for work. Nice to meet fellow Filipino.

Cheers,
Monnette
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM
monnette

I just got my Joysway Offshore Warrior and found that my hatch cover and other Offshore Warrior online pics are different
Does Joysway have 2 versions of hull/hatchcover?

Mine is kinda flush all around while the other cover is extended till the transom top.
Which is better between the two in terms of keeping the water away from going in.

Please see below pic.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM
MassiveOverkill

Looks like you've got the improved Warrior II........nice score:

http://radioactivemodels.ie/store/pr...oducts_id=1442

"New Features include a change to the hull shape to allow the boat to self-right even faster, to avoid water ingress. The rear fittings have been modified for extra strength, control and durability."

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/117423/

Now Ireally want one.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM
monnette

Looks like you've got the improved Warrior II........nice score:

http://radioactivemodels.ie/store/pr...oducts_id=1442

''New Features include a change to the hull shape to allow the boat to self-right even faster, to avoid water ingress. The rear fittings have been modified for extra strength, control and durability.''

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/117423/

Now I really want one.
Oh Great . Now I am more excited.

I will be putting a thin plexi film cover to the cover hatch as a second
protection to water ingress. I will be cutting a piece of styrofoam to be attached on the hatch cover, and I will
also insert a pool nooddle in the front part of the hull as to help it flout if goes submarined.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 AM
MassiveOverkill

I think it looks better as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mk2 shares the same hull as the Super Mono X, albeit in fiberglass.

I'm going to see if I can get Aaron fromBanggood to carry the Mk2 as well as the hull-only version. There's no US dealers that carry this boat and although Banggood is based in China, all products have free shipping (he does havea US warehouse but only the popular products are held there).

At least he's carrying some Joysway spares, something else that can't be found in the US(I know you're in the Philipines, but for the rest of usin the US, we have little options).

One more favor: Do you have the SKU for the hull-only version? I'm sure it's different than the RTR version and maybe it's marked on your box. It will help me help Aaron in getting it stocked. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 AM
diy-pro

Lol banggood. And the limited options in the U.S. is garbage!!! Thats why im going to stay with Monnette in Guangzhou!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
monnette

I think it looks better as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mk2 shares the same hull as the Super Mono X, albeit in fiberglass.

I'm going to see if I can get Aaron from Banggood to carry the Mk2 as well as the hull-only version. There's no US dealers that carry this boat and although Banggood is based in China, all products have free shipping (he does have a US warehouse but only the popular products are held there).

At least he's carrying some Joysway spares, something else that can't be found in the US (I know you're in the Philipines, but for the rest of us in the US, we have little options).

One more favor: Do you have the SKU for the hull-only version? I'm sure it's different than the RTR version and maybe it's marked on your box. It will help me help Aaron in getting it stocked. Thanks.

If they go that route it's gonna be my second boat. Really cant beat the self righting of that SMX hull.

For the hull SKU pls see below :
93025A>>>>Black/Yellow
93025B>>>>Red/White
93025C>>>>Yellow/White

I got the black/yellow one>>>>i have removed all the stock decals to make it look better.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM
monnette

ORIGINAL: diy-pro

Lol banggood. And the limited options in the U.S. is garbage!!! Thats why im going to stay with Monnette in Guangzhou!!!

LOL..come here in Guangzhou and enjoy the RC world cheapest deal you can get.

I know that some complained bout their quality, but there were also good ones.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
monnette

ORIGINAL: diy-pro

LOL..come here in Guangzhou and enjoy the RC world cheapest deal you can get.

I know that some complained bout their quality, but there were also good ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.