Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

New project boat

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

New project boat

Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM
damfurst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project boat

Got one of those Syma Blue Whale 22" boat the other day. Took some video of it running stock on both a 1800mah 35c 2s and 1800mah 35c 3s yesterday. Plan on putting some brushless motors in it, a rudder, and hobby grade radio. I think it has some potential even though the hull is very heavy..

[link]http://youtu.be/qVCHid_FXiE[/link]
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM
sundogz

Default RE: New project boat

Wes, there is a thread on OSE on modding this boat. It might have some useful info in it. [link=http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?37373-Balaenoptera-Musculus.-Upgrades]Here's the link.[/link]
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 PM
damfurst

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Wes, there is a thread on OSE on modding this boat. It might have some useful info in it. [link=http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?37373-Balaenoptera-Musculus.-Upgrades]Here's the link.[/link]
Thanks Dave I'll have a look and maybe post too.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:07 PM
SkR8Pn

ORIGINAL: damfurst

Got one of those Syma Blue Whale 22" boat the other day. Took some video of it running stock on both a 1800mah 35c 2s and 1800mah 35c 3s yesterday. Plan on putting some brushless motors in it, a rudder, and hobby grade radio. I think it has some potential even though the hull is very heavy..

[link]http://youtu.be/qVCHid_FXiE[/link]

Big difference between 2s and 3s... I like the boat.

Do you plan on changing the prop also?

I have no idea about prop boats so i'll keep on checking in to see what you get up to.

Ja

Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
damfurst

No I don't plan to change the props skr8pn. Partly because these props screw on one right handed the other left handed so I would have to change the prop shafts also. Might have to if the props won't stand the brushless motors.

Have been working on mounting a rudder which went better than expected. I waterproofed a servo but haven't got it mounted yet. The motors and esc's showed up from Hobbyking this week so have been busy soldering on them. Found out that the Birdie 50a esc's only work with stick radios, so I will either have to buy another pistix from Ose or switch to my 4 ch Tactic which I just got another rx for. I think I'll do the latter.

After gutting the electronics and motors I tried fitting the new motors into the mounts. Discovered that I had to turn the mount themselves 180 around and also cut the farthest back support that was there for the other motors. The motors I'm using are 2632 3400kv outrunners. They have 2.3mm shafts so I can use the drive system that they came with. Here are some pics of my progress.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13116.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1810965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95047.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1810966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80456.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1810967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28163.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1810968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46255.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	1810969  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM
damfurst

I've been able to get the motors mounted using the mounts that came with the boat. I had to however use a dremel to modify them a little so that motors fit into them straight. Mounted the servo in the middle back of the hull with a couple of pieces of aluminum angle that were bolted to a servo mount and then shoe gooed to the bottom of the hull. Also, mounted both 50A esc's by the motors on the inside wall of the hull. Next to work on the water pickups in the hull.

Name:	Yw68195.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1812005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92159.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1812006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75202.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1812007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89567.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1812008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79529.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1812009  
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 PM
damfurst

I tried something different for me in doing the water pickups. I mounted them through the bottom of the hull using some old scraps of brass tubing that I angled slightly with a dremel. I then drilled holes on either side of the servo just large enough for the tubing to slide into and shoe goo'd them into place. I then ran silicon tubing from the pickups to the esc's and then towards the left back to a tee. I brought both lines together to one exhaust hole out the back. Will have to see if this works or not. I also mounted the rx on the inside left wall ahead of the esc on that side. Ran the wires and did a radio test and everything worked. Just have to take it out and see how she runs. I'll get video of it too.

Name:	Hf97765.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1812857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11967.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1812858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98880.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1812859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46733.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1812860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49831.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1812861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39089.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1812862  
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM
sundogz

Looks good, Wes. I have installed a similar water pickup in my Foki mono, but it got hot last time out, so will need to add another. That is how I like to mount my receiviers as well, high and dry. Looking forward to the videos!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM
seehuusen

nice little build there mate I was thinking of doing a similar conversion, but with one motor only
Are the little propeller looking thing on the drive shaft a fan or something (right in front of each motor)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 PM
damfurst

They are supposed to be a cooling fan, but I would call them or something. Just didn't take them off because I thought I might throw the balance off on the couplers. Thanks for the comment.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 AM
SkR8Pn

Hey, looks like someones been busy.. It's looking great!

With dual props, do themotors rotate the same direction or opposite to each other? I'm thinking opposite but really dont know. Is there an advantage to using dual props over single?

Cheers
J
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM
damfurst

ORIGINAL: SkR8Pn

Hey, looks like someones been busy.. It's looking great!

With dual props, do the motors rotate the same direction or opposite to each other? I'm thinking opposite but really dont know. Is there an advantage to using dual props over single?

Cheers
J
The motors rotate opposite to each other that way there isn't any torque roll. There are advantages and disadvantages. Advantages are 1st no torque roll as long as the props are rotating different directions, 2nd more power to a given hull should equate to a higher speed over a single prop but this is where the disadvantages come into play. Dual props means dual everything motors, esc's, sometimes batteries, so twice the weight. But they are fun to mess with. Maybe somebody reading this will chime in as well as I don't know everything.

I did try running this yesterday morning but we had kind of bust. I ran at first at 1/3 throttle and it looked good. Went to go to full throttle and it tore the couplers up by spinning inside of them and mellting them a little. So now I need to find some different couplers. lol
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 AM
SkR8Pn

Thanks damfurst, i often wondered what the go was with dual props.

Can you get away with using astraight type coupler? Or are they dogbone type to accomdate the motors being offset to the prop shaft?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM
damfurst

Yes I think I can use either straight coupler's if I can find some that are long enough or ujoint ones.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
SkR8Pn

ORIGINAL: damfurst

Yes I think I can use either straight coupler's if I can find some that are long enough or ujoint ones.
cool, are the ujoint type noisy? I've seen a few of the jet sprints with them in video and they seem tobe.....but that could be a number of causes with those little rippers lol...

will be good to see a vid of it in action when you get the chance..
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 PM
damfurst

I don't know if the u joints will be noisy or not. I'm trying some out that I haven't used before so I'm hoping that they will be the right length. Looking to have them next week i hope. I do have a graupner ujoint in my tear into and it's not noisy at all, but I'm also running the bearing mod in it as well.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 PM
seehuusen

Looking good there mate!! Can't wait to see a vid of it in action

bought my NQD copy of this boat today @ AU$55 it's a bargain I reckon

This will be a single motor version though, I'll write something up when I get to building it (right now I just ordered the bits for a second Tear Into Jet Boat )

Cheers
Martin
Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
SkR8Pn

ORIGINAL: seehuusen

Looking good there mate!! Can't wait to see a vid of it in action

bought my NQD copy of this boat today @ AU$55 it's a bargain I reckon

This will be a single motor version though, I'll write something up when I get to building it (right now I just ordered the bits for a second Tear Into Jet Boat )

Cheers
Martin

It looks evil, i lkie it!

I love the actual ebay ad, when you scroll down to check all the details out...... "This boat only works in water!" There goes my plans of taking it to the park to do some drifting on the grass.....

Any updates damfurst? Keen to see what you've been up to on this build.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
seehuusen

I love the actual ebay ad, when you scroll down to check all the details out...... "This boat only works in water!" There goes my plans of taking it to the park to do some drifting on the grass.....
BAAAHAHA, yeah that made me chuckle too

My boat arrived today!! YAY for Aussie colours!

Name:	Ca80713.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1816682  
Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM
SkR8Pn

ORIGINAL: seehuusen

BAAAHAHA, yeah that made me chuckle too

My boat arrived today!! YAY for Aussie colours!

Man check that name out... Balaenoptere musculus.....Blue whale.

start a build thread!

Remember to only use it in water
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM
seehuusen

any updates on the build?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM
damfurst

Sorry for the hold up but I'm waiting on some money then I can order what I need.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:03 PM
damfurst

Well it's been awhile since this thread was written on. But I finally did get some u joints that I was able to make work. I had to dremel some to make room for them. I've had it on the pond a couple of times but wasn't able to get video of it. It run pretty wet but is considerably faster than stock. Even on 2s lipo she goes well. The second run on the pond I heard an odd noise and when I checked it out I noticed one of motor mounts starting to come apart. So now I need to make new mounts out of aluminum and try again.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	2125892   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	2125893  
Old 10-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Patrick125

If your intention is to get something fast and reliable I would suggest saving and looking into another boat, but if you really like this boat, I think you have a good idea in choosing to build good aluminum mounts, I don't think your boat have much potential in my opinion so I think you should be mindful that you may invest and later realise you might have been better off investing in another boat. The aquacraft revolt 30 is a good boat.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:20 PM
damfurst

Originally Posted by Patrick125
If your intention is to get something fast and reliable I would suggest saving and looking into another boat, but if you really like this boat, I think you have a good idea in choosing to build good aluminum mounts, I don't think your boat have much potential in my opinion so I think you should be mindful that you may invest and later realise you might have been better off investing in another boat. The aquacraft revolt 30 is a good boat.
Thanks Patrick for your observations. I'm really not trying to have a better boat that is fast. I'm just trying to make it faster than it was with the stock motors and electronics. I enjoy upgrading what others wouldn't because they are toy grade. I've done 3 NQD jet boats, a NQD catamaran, a twin edf boat. I also have hobby grade boats like the MHZ Gecko and youngsters Brinksman Feral. They're all fun and I enjoy upgrading them as well. Thanks for the comments.