Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Looking for jet-suitable hulls

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Looking for jet-suitable hulls

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 AM
pootis mcgootis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for jet-suitable hulls

Hi all,

Wondering if you guys could provide me some suggestionsI bought two 28mm KMB jet drives, looking for matching hulls (preferably from HK or some other 'budget' source), as I'm looking to make two identical boats so both myself and a buddy or my pop can race or thrash around in the stream, etc. I was thinking of buying just a couple NQD style hulls off fleabay but I was thinking that the bigger jet drives might be better off with some bigger hulls? Haven't really though ahead to actual hardware setup as wanted to get settled on the hull first and everything is soundly frozen over right now so I have a few months to get my act together before they can be used . But all the same happy to hear any suggestions you guys may have.

Thanks in advance,
P
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Default RE: Looking for jet-suitable hulls

This is a suggestion only. There's a jet thread here at universe and mainly the small jet postings. Now there are some GURUS on that thread and it might be wise to move your posting to that thread. The boat you choose should be a shallow transom area for the jet to work properly. I'm no expert on this but for me, i would look at 25-30" boats and really look carefully at what i've seen for those bigger jet units looks to be alot of FUN. My 2 cents! Remember the rpm is in the low 20's which is max for them. Not much help, sorry. You may have to build a wooden boat, but i see your up north , so winter projects can work out .
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
pootis mcgootis

Thanks for the quick reply. I did happen upon that thread after posting this but the sheer page count freaked me out so I didn't look too closely into it. I hope you're right! From what I've seen these jets can push some serious water and I am really looking forward to getting a couple up and running to use in tandemshould be a blast. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

This is a suggestion only. There's a jet thread here at universe and mainly the small jet postings. Now there are some GURUS on that thread and it might be wise to move your posting to that thread. The boat you choose should be a shallow transom area for the jet to work properly. I'm no expert on this but for me, i would look at 25-30'' boats and really look carefully at what i've seen for those bigger jet units looks to be alot of FUN. My 2 cents! Remember the rpm is in the low 20's which is max for them. Not much help, sorry. You may have to build a wooden boat, but i see your up north , so winter projects can work out .

i have a 31" deep v hull running a grumpner 29mm drive i ran that drive at 50k after doing a flex shaft mod . but the kmd drive has two bearings on eather end so you could run that drive at that same rpm . here it is running at that rpm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJNx4...eE9ww&index=27
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM
pootis mcgootis

Wow I had no idea they could run at that RPM. Which hull did you use there? Just a generic deep V? Do you have any pics of your setup?Thanks a lot in advance...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
mickieb49

Hi mate here is a link to my hulls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPu1IP0RSNM

They are 32" long, this one uses a Kehrer unit, but they are crap and wouldn't use one again. I have sent these hulls to canada before but think now that the postage is a killer now days.
Mick
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
pootis mcgootis

HiMick,

Do you sell these somewhere? What problems did you have with the Kehrer drives?
Thanks
P
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
mickieb49

Hi mate,
I do sell these hulls from time to time on Fleabay, and some i build to order. I think from memory postage to Canada was like$90 , that is why it is a deal killer. For some reason Australia post put their rates up by nearly 200% as it used to only cost about $40.
I am in the process on developing a new hull that will be CNC'd, will have a far superior finish and handling, these will be around the 650mm long mark, also have a new jet unit on the developing stage, it will have trimmable nozzel, SS impeller and flow straightener, ABS body, 29mm impeller ( these will be 6 months or more before i will be selling these though) . I will be starting a new thread when i get closer to showing something though.
Regards Mick
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
pootis mcgootis

Wow that sounds like something to watch out for. At the rate I move I'll still be hull-less at that point so I look forward to seeing it when you're ready to go!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...13/key_/tm.htm check out post 319 thats where that build starts. long time no see mickieb49 i still have the hull u made me still havent figured out what im do with it had thouht about that hobby king drive
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
mickieb49

ORIGINAL: DRAGONFIRE81M

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...13/key_/tm.htm check out post 319 thats where that build starts. long time no see mickieb49 i still have the hull u made me still havent figured out what im do with it had thouht about that hobby king drive

Good to hear from you too Dragonfire, may have the new generation hulls done before you get to finishing the last hull nah i bet you probably busy as. So what have you been up to?
I got a little distracted in Gas boats for a few years, built a 72" Quad cylinder cat from scratch, a few hydro's but now have got the oportunity to get a CNC router and a 3d printer to make the jet units and hulls properly. Going to scale the jet drives off the MK2 Swashdrive units, these may be a little while off as i have to do some more research into Foundry's that will do Stainless castings and in quantities of 100. Yes i will be selling these, but after they are proven. Am also looking at other scale drives to do for electrics like the MHZ S6 outdrives, or the steerable Arneson drives.
Regards Mick

Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

yeah been pretty busy . slowly getting back in to rc . i have been doing some buggy modding gokart size . check out my youtube channels youll see the orange one is mine
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not get a DaVette Sprint hull . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqedkrF8Ao . They're 34" long , made in the US so shipping would be affordable to Canada .

Dana
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17370.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1839848  
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM
pootis mcgootis

Thanks for the reply! I have seen those in videos but can't seem to find where to buy them? Is there an online store or LHS only?
Thanks
P