Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

45 inch cat hull, motor choice

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

45 inch cat hull, motor choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 45 inch cat hull, motor choice

Im more than confident in the quality of these TP motors,they will do exactly what i want of them which is to push the Apache over 60 mph.If two t 600 outrunners push her to 50 mph on 6s im sure these will do exactly what i want from them.
Those prices on the castle motors were what i found yesterday so not out of date,good for you if you found em cheaper but like i said i have no interest in spending over $200 on a motor when i can get these for $100,well under actually lol.
Once thats done ill try a pair in a 50" cat .
Like the saying goes theres allways more than one way to skin a cat.
Mart
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Phil i was refering to the 5694 TP motors theyre only $100 and rated at 12000 watts or 16 hp[X(] if you believe there specs lol .Probs closer to your 8000 watts i reckon.
All i know is theyre awesome motors for the money and there have been a few reviews on them and there well made.I for one wont be wasting my money on a $279 motor when these do the job.
Ill be using two 5694 1000kv motors in the Apache,starting on 6 s for now and well see after that,but im expecting great speed even on 6s.Heres a link to some,i dont have any left in stock .
Mart
ps regards small motors the 58 Apache has done 52 mph just using 2 600 size outrunners on 6 s .

http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=609
waste your money??
now I know your not talking about the brute of a motor CC2028
that motor is a bargain! [:-]
Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM
martno1fan

If i can reach my goals on a budget then ill do it and be glad i didnt waste any more money than i had to so yes paying $200+ for one motor when i can get two for the same price and reach the speed im looking for is a waste why does it bother you so much .Question for you whats the biggest boat youve built and how fast is it ?.
It does make me laugh when guys get all upset because someone does things on a budget.I remember lots of guys telling me the t600 motors wouldnt push a big apache more than 20 -25 mph well that was proven to be rubbish.
Like i keep saying each to his own,buy your expensive setups if its what makes you happy and ill be happy to build things that are a little easier on my wallet and reach the speeds i want to achieve.
Mart
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM
srt10

If i can reach my goals on a budget then ill do it and be glad i didnt waste any more money than i had to so yes paying $200+ for one motor when i can get two for the same price and reach the speed im looking for is a waste why does it bother you so much .Question for you whats the biggest boat youve built and how fast is it ?.
It does make me laugh when guys get all upset because someone does things on a budget.I remember lots of guys telling me the t600 motors wouldnt push a big apache more than 20 -25 mph well that was proven to be rubbish.
Like i keep saying each to his own,buy your expensive setups if its what makes you happy and ill be happy to build things that are a little easier on my wallet and reach the speeds i want to achieve.
Mart
LOL
I don't see anyone getting bent out of shape
and I'm one of those who do things on a budget at times at OSE
fact being you used 2 motors and 2 drive systems to get your speeds, that only one drive setup with a good motor would have done the same if not better results.... hmmmmm

when we race, we don't constantly win on the cheap... one must spend a little cash to run several laps to win
one does not need to spend huge cash to win, but you can't run cheap and win over and over and have the highest points at the end of the year
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
martno1fan

Lol me thinks you do protest too much lmao .
listen like i said if you actually read it was that im sure one motor would achieve the speeds i want but i want to do a twin and also stick to lower voltage why is that so hard to understand.
How many 50"+ fast electric boats have you built id be interested to see some.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
madphil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we need to sit back and see what happens now , from what i have seen in the past a "twin setup" is wasted on a deep V hull on turns you will loose out big time one prop will be more than half out of the water unless you have sub surface drive or a steerable Z drives

maybe an option could be use the same twin setup driving a large single prop

phil
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
martno1fan

Well i think twins work very well on the larger vees havent noticed any problems as you suggest to be honest.Pates hull runs very well and turns awesome,the trick was to change the prop rotation to outwards which made all the difference.Keeping the props as close together as possible also helps.
I also dont think Bob thinks his twin propped inline twin gas powered Apache is a waste either its a fantastic running boat 65 mph so far.He also changed to outward rotation and this also made all the difference to handling after his first run which he had them running inward which caused a few handling issues.
I will be running mine outward as this seems the way to go.
Mart

most def not a waste
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58cgyiBFzxc[/youtube]
Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
madphil

Mart this could be good then , i have only ever run twins in cats not V's its only what i have read ,
as for the rotation it would seem to be the same with cats i first ran it with the props inwards was told it gives more lift and speed it was fast but it would not go round corners, it would not turn then turn too much and spin ,
with the props turning outwards it don't seem much slower and great round corners a much better boat

phil
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
srt10

Lol me thinks you do protest too much lmao .
listen like i said if you actually read it was that im sure one motor would achieve the speeds i want but i want to do a twin and also stick to lower voltage why is that so hard to understand.
How many 50''+ fast electric boats have you built id be interested to see some.

No no no... no protest bro

oh and 50mph boats.... yeah well I have a few
my PMono is my fav right now to tweek, and I'm thinking of swinging the $350 price tag for a 2200kv 1530 NEU motor [:'(]

another from the bunch, well it does not do 50mph it does mid 60s with a Leo 56XX motor on 8s
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 AM
martno1fan

Hehe its all good mate just banter lol,i meant 50 inch boats not 50 mph lol.
Someone just pointed out to me that the SSS HOR motors i linked as TP motors seem to be different specs than the usual TP ones.I will find out from my suppliers as they did tell me they were made for them by TP will let you guys know.
Mart
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 AM
srt10

Hehe its all good mate just banter lol,i meant 50 inch boats not 50 mph lol.
Someone just pointed out to me that the SSS HOR motors i linked as TP motors seem to be different specs than the usual TP ones.I will find out from my suppliers as they did tell me they were made for them by TP will let you guys know.
Mart

I really do like the cheap "priced" motors that I have seen on the web
keep us posted on any links of specs and such that you may find
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 AM
martno1fan

Yea will do no worries.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
twissted

horracing.com and look at the SSS5694 1200kv motor. 105.00 with water jacket and super fast shipping, This motor is a TP Power. custom made for HOR Racing. Materials are the same as the pro series tp motors but custom wound for hor. I have 3 of these motors that run my 56 cat and my custom 5th scale buggy. 8s is all of 10 hp and isn't even breathing hard at 35500 rpms!!!! it's rated up to 50000 rpms just like the tp motors this size. I also run hor motors in my 42" zonda cat, smaller though.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
martno1fan

Hi i have the same motors,thanks for confirming what i was told.I have those specs here too wasnt sure if i believed them though.Sounds like theyre good,i cant wait to try them out.
Mart
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

...8s is all of 10 hp and isn't even breathing hard at 35500 rpms!!!! it's rated up to 50000 rpms just like the tp motors this size...
I have no experience with HOR stuff, but I have owned several TP motors. Your comments above demonstrate that you don't know what you are saying. Ten horsepower and 8S means an amp draw of 300 amps - that is a lot for any motor and it would be "breathing hard". This peak horsepower will not occur at 35,000 rpm, but at a lower rotor speed where the motor is actually loaded. The maximum rpm stated is not related to amp draw or power, it is the rating of the bearings used. But more important, will the magnets stay attached to the rotor at 50,000 rpm? Mine TP magnets came loose at under 30,000 rpm. Others have seen the same thing. Good luck.

You guys can continue to fool yourselves into thinking that you know all about motors because you read the sales data - that's fine, I don't care. But others reading this thread may believe everything that 's being posted. That would be a big mistake.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
madphil

ORIGINAL: Got RPM

...8s is all of 10 hp and isn't even breathing hard at 35500 rpms!!!! it's rated up to 50000 rpms just like the tp motors this size...
I have no experience with HOR stuff, but I have owned several TP motors. Your comments above demonstrate that you don't know what you are saying. Ten horsepower and 8S means an amp draw of 300 amps - that is a lot for any motor and it would be ''breathing hard''. This peak horsepower will not occur at 35,000 rpm, but at a lower rotor speed where the motor is actually loaded. The maximum rpm stated is not related to amp draw or power, it is the rating of the bearings used. But more important, will the magnets stay attached to the rotor at 50,000 rpm? Mine TP magnets came loose at under 30,000 rpm. Others have seen the same thing. Good luck.

You guys can continue to fool yourselves into thinking that you know all about motors because you read the sales data - that's fine, I don't care. But others reading this thread may believe everything that 's being posted. That would be a big mistake.

Just my 2 cents its all down to how much money you want to throw at the hobby and if you are racing or just fooling about with boats the cheap china motors are good for a short time non racing boat could get a couple of years out of one, but for MPBA or NADS racing they would not last more than 3 - 4 race meetings where they are running flat out for 6 mins theres only Lehner and Plettenburg motors seem to be upto the job ,

also most people who build on the cheap will be on the limit with there ESC's if they have a 6s motor they will get a 6s esc theres a good chance the ESC will go up in smoke before the motor throws the magnets (only takes a bit of rubbish round the prop , something over water inlet etc)
over the years i have learnt to oversize on esc's if you run 4s and need 120a get a 6s 180a esc for 6s to 8s get a 12s 200a esc it will be cheaper in the long run
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
twissted

you run with that. I think that you and I need to race a few hot laps and lets just see what your money payed for.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM
twissted

P.S. I run the fliermodel esc's in my 56" cat and HK 180 esc's with the caps bumped up a bit, in my Zonda. Name your poison. as far as my 1/5 4x4 buggy your in for a eye opener.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
madphil

ORIGINAL: twissted

you run with that. I think that you and I need to race a few hot laps and lets just see what your money payed for.
Any motor will do "a few hot laps" its racing flat out for 6 mins that sorts the good motors/esc's out from the cheaper ones
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: madphil

Any motor will do ''a few hot laps'' its racing flat out for 6 mins that sorts the good motors/esc's out from the cheaper ones
agreed!
and doing it two more times that day, or 3 more times depending on your club racing
we do 3 heats per class
Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 AM
martno1fan

Any motor will do ''a few hot laps'' its racing flat out for 6 mins that sorts the good motors/esc's out from the cheaper ones

Phil i think your getting mixed up a little here,cheap doesnt alwlays mean poor quallity and expensive doesnt allways mean good quallity.Ive spoken to several guys who run these motors and yes race them very well.
Dont knock what you havent even seen never mind tried is what i say.Your more than welcome to try one if you have any projects needing a new motor .
I do hear what your saying but id be more concerned with quality than price .
Mart
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 AM
martno1fan

I heard back from my suppliers and they tell me these are made by TFL Hobbies.
Mart
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM
madphil

We are on 2 levels here you can build a fast fun boat or a race boat I have been racing for the last 5 years in MPBA and NADS from what i have seen its always the LAHNER and plettenburg motors that come through at the end ,
if you only want a fun boat the cheaper motors should do the job if you want to go racing you would have a hard job catching a plettenburg never mind passing one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99268.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1858881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11623.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1858882   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10812.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1858883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41738.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1858884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1858885  
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
srt10

We are on 2 levels here you can build a fast fun boat or a race boat I have been racing for the last 5 years in MPBA and NADS from what i have seen its always the LAHNER and plettenburg motors that come through at the end ,
if you only want a fun boat the cheaper motors should do the job if you want to go racing you would have a hard job catching a plettenburg never mind passing one
Very Very nice!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
martno1fan

Phil once i get a twin electric built ill get some numbers up and well see just how good these motors are,when i say twin im talking a 58 Apache and a 50" cat if i have time for both .I have no interest in racing i just want a fast reliable boat and thats exactly what ill have.
Mart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.