Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Atomik Barbwire right turn sub

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Atomik Barbwire right turn sub

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 PM
jetskier13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atomik Barbwire right turn sub

anyone have the same problem that it will always sub when doing a right turn? at first it's kind of cool but it's starting to get old when you try to make a nice clean turns doing some slalom. what's it your fix? I'm thinking about shortening my rudder a little. I think it's because the boat rolls so agressively on it's sides during a turn and the torque of the motor forces the boat on it's right side even more during a right turn, and when the rudder is on a 45deg it's acting like a elavator on a plane and force the nose to dive.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Brrapp

Default RE: Atomik Barbwire right turn sub

Yep, mine does the same.

When I get round to it I'm going to try angling the rudder (so the bottom is further back than the top) to see if this helps. This should have the same effect as having a shorter rudder in turns.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM
jetskier13

Shorten mine to 68mm total length couple days ago and no difference. and now to 64mm total length and gonna try it out later. I also made some front sponsons that sticks on the front of hull that I will try, it's an idea I got from standup jetski racing. I'll let you know the results.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
jetskier13

it works!! just got back from my lunch time test run. NOT ONE SUB!! I can go full speed and make a sharp right turn and it just right turns sharp, I tried all different ways of turning, figure 8's and such.. just a little bigger arc then left turns. I think the sponsons/wedge has more to do with it then theshortening of the rudder though it did make it quicker with the rudder shorter, stock was way too long for this boat. I'll try to up load some pics of my sponsons. this is what's so great about RC boating you can come up with things from scraps.
The angle of the sponsons has to be hi in front low in back and if you have it backward, it might actually dive harder. when the hull rolls on a right turn, the water hit the sponsons and water pressure keeps it up. I've installed 2 just to have a big effect and didn't have time to keep testing. now I know it works will probibly remove the rear one and might even work if it's smaller. the key is to have the front high.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70723.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1880550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81853.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1880551  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Take care.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
jetskier13

That's the stock rudder, it's is wide and long then needed. I've trims about 3/4" off and still turns great and faster now. let me get this straight.. you have two Barbwire that came with Octura rudders? or did you installed Octura rudders on your Barbwire?
ORIGINAL: Mikeup

The picture of rudder tells me the rudder is to wide. I have 2 of original Octura rudders which measure a little over 5/16" at very bottom and 7/8" at the top and have quite an angle. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

. Take care!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM
jetskier13

I got it, you don't have a Barbwire. now it makes sense regarding your posts. Thanks for all your inputs and help. but if you have a Barbwire, you will understand exactlly what I'm talking about, the right turn sub problem. My SV 27 on 4S lipo and my Revolt 30 cutting the tightest right turn will never roll and sub like that. The Barbwire has a very narrow and aggrasive vee hull and way over power which makes it carve like it's on rails and roll back up right when capsized, just the right turns it roll so much, it subs.
ORIGINAL: Mikeup

Correct myself. I read your posting on non-subbing and saw pictures. Your rudder seems wide and I went to work bench and measured my Octura rudders. I came to the conclusion from seeing the wide rudder for almost the full length of rudder. I can see why it would be slow in turns and would raise the transom and lower the bow to sub. The wide rudder acts like a BRAKE when turning and raises the transom at the same time. The reason left turns acts normal is turning left raises most of rudder out of the water. I have at least 20- 22" monos- 2 airboats-a 29" BBY mono - a 31" Villlian Ex- 26" Arpro 1 which have all been modded and some oddball boats. Take care!