Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

prop shaft help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

prop shaft help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM
tomrandall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop shaft help

so im new to making rc boats and need to know how a prop shaft would connect up to the motor. ive been looking around and i dont understand how the two would connect up

[EDIT] after some thought i have considered making the prop shaft out of a wooden dowel. i could just drill a hole in one end to fit the motor and then use some kind of waterproof glue to glue a propeller to the other end. can anyone think of problems this may have? i have thought about the vibration upon the propeller and shaft connection but i think a poxy glue would hold.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 AM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: prop shaft help

Tom.
Since you are in England, 'Astec Models' is probably a good place to start. They have many couplers for motor/shaft connection. For both flex shafts & solid shafts & in many varying sizes.
All you need to know is the motor shaft size & the propshaft size. There will be a coupler to fit.
Wooden dowel would more than likely snap within a few seconds & is not recommended.
Here's the couplers.
[link]https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_43&osCsid=b262caf5ac80633865c87499af8d3b52[/link]

And here's three pages of drive shafts.
[link]https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_90&osCsid=b262caf5ac80633865c87499af8d3b52[/link]

Something there should suit your needs

Paul.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM
tomrandall

another problem i have is a low budget which is another reason im swaying towards wooden dowels. i was thinking if i used a walnut dowel, 14mm thickness it would be ok as i would only be making a short shaft no more than 50mm.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
niteshadow

I also need help with shaft install for my atlas van lines hydroplane,need total install procedure,do not want to mess up my boat
[email protected]
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nightshadow.

This may help in the general installation. Of course all the measurements may be different for your actual hull & motor placement. But it gives you the general Idea.

[link]http://www.finedesignrc.com/pipshovelsetup.asp[/link]

Google is your best friend. Click on any of these pics & you can read the article that is associated with it for more info.

[link]https://www.google.com.au/search?q=R/C+Hydro+stuffing+tube+%26+shaft+installation&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1663&bih=793&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=oI_DUd3PCoaAiQft9YBA#imgdii=_[/link]

Cheers.
Paul.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
NobodyFamous

if your wooden drive shaft lasts more then a few minutes, the water would cause it to swell, stick, and burn up the motor.  Don't waste your time and money.  Take some time, save some money and buy some metal.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 AM
tomrandall

im going to take your guys advice and use a metal shaft, only im going to make it myself to save money.