Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Rudder help with my genesis!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Rudder help with my genesis!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 AM
shearm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder help with my genesis!

Hi all,

I have a 930mm genesis, i have been looking at rudder setups and i really like the look of the dual rudder from TFLhobby. Only problem is i cant find one with a 3/16 "shaft holder", they all seem to be 1/4.
First off, does anybody have this type of setup? (dual rudder) If so, how does it perform? And secondly, does anyone know where i can find a dual rudder like the one from TFLhobby with a 3/16 shaft holder?
I will try and upload a pic of the rudder setup im talking about so you all have an idea.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65902.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1904738  
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't need a dual rudder. That's just extra drag. Also, the water pickup on the bottom of the strut pushes water up the stuffing tube & into the boat.
All you need is the offset bracket like this for the existing rudder.
Rudder offset bracket suit Genesis genesis rc boat rudder extension [] - $22.00 : RC BOAT BITZ, RC BOAT SHOP
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Tombsy

I used the dual pickup rudder from RC Boat Bitz to cool the motor and esc separately but I didn't have any luck with the offset bracket I had to take it off it really slowed the boat in the corners. Boat runs great and will just about turn in it's own length if you crank it. It has plenty of steering.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 AM
shearm1

Thanks for the input guys
Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 AM
shearm1

By the way "Tombsy" what size was your gen?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Tombsy

Mine was the same 36". For the strut if you want to run a 3/16" shaft knock out the two bushings in it. Then run a regular 3/16" brass bushing (with all the holes in it). You have to drill the prop side of the strut a bit with a 1/4" drill to clear the lip of the bushing.
This is when it still had the offset bracket but it came off pretty quick.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tombsy; 08-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 PM
shearm1

cheers mate. I have just bought the bare hull so i have absolutly nothing and am starting from scratch therefore i wont have to worry about drilling out struts ect. Ill be buying everything 3/16 to start with. How fast do you think your gen goes if you dont mind me asking? Im having a bit of trouble getting my head around motor selection at the moment. Alot of research ahead of me i think lol.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Tombsy

Hey bud I got your pic, I'll send you some info. I build this for a buddy and he had a bunch of 4s packs from flying that he wanted to use so I used a Leopard 4074 2200kv. It does about 50mph in heat racing and runs cool.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 AM
785boats

Shearm1.
Tomsby is right about the offset rudder.
A guy at our club put one on yesterday and the thing was a slow dog in the corners. It came off pretty quick too. Sorry for suggesting it. I guess I shouldn't listen to others.
If you can make it to our club at the Boondall Entertainment Center on Saturday there will be plenty of guys there to help with some setups. And some Genesis boats too.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Tombsy

There ya go, no better help than getting out with a club for getting set up.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 AM
shearm1

thanks again guys. 785boats, is the club meet every saterday?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM
785boats

Yep. Every Saturday. from about 8:00am
Scale, sail, steam & subs in the morning & fasties from about midday.
Come along, bring a boat. Who knows, you might even join the club. Here's a bit of a taste.
http://www.triple-s.org.au/
Just ask for me. Paul.

Quite a few of us also belong to a full race club that meets at the Lakeside Raceway every second Sunday. You might even like that one too.
Here's a bit of fun from up there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oet2XnMAdlI

All the best.
Paul.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
shearm1

Just letting you all know i have deffinantly scrapped the twin rudder idea. ive got some goodies coming from both rc boat bitz and hobbyking, once i have the gear ill get stuck in and start the build. By the way ive been thinking of running 6s with a leopard 4082 or a 4092, i really want to get this thing moving but im not sure on kv ratings for either motor. Any ideas on how to find out what would be best suited? Also looking on offshore electrics and when selecting a motor it not only has different kv ranges but also says "5D", "2Y", "3.5D" etc. what does this mean?
"785boats" ill be sure to come check out the club some time soon.
Thanks again guys.

Last edited by shearm1; 08-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM
785boats

Hi there.
Since you already buy gear from Joe at R/C Boat Bitz, I'd go with a TP Power motor from him. Streets ahead of the Leopards of the same size. I run/race a few of them.
If you want a 4092 motor on 6s in that cat then this would be my choice. If it fits under the cowling.
http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....oducts_id=1348

I've got one & had it running in a 40" hydro with no problems at all. I've just fitted it into a 41" mono (Osprey) for racing in our EB 6S class this weekend. It's a powerhouse & very efficient.

You will notice that it is an 8D wind. So in answer to your question, it has 8 turns in the windings in a 'Delta' formation. A motor with a '2Y' designation means 2 turns in the windings connected in a 'Star' formation.
They are basically a 3 phase motor with the windings connected in either Star or Delta.

The biggest issue we need to worry about between a Y wind & a D wind motor is the timing set in the ESC.
D wind motors prefer low timing. Between 1 & 5 Degrees.
Y wind motors run better at anything up to 15 degrees. Anywhere between 10 & 15 is the norm with the motors we use.

As for the clubs. Like I said Boondall is every Saturday. But if you can make it, this Sunday is a full blown race meeting at Lakeside Raceway. It will be a month before the next one.
Just drive in the bottom gate to the complex at the end of 'Lakeside Drive', follow the road to the right around the outside of the race track, keep following the road up past the Go-Kart track to the top of the hill & you will see us all set up beside the lake. Racing starts at 9:00am.

Hope to meet you soon.
Cheers.
Paul.