Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

? faulty speed controller

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

? faulty speed controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 AM
tonygoole1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? faulty speed controller

Hi all I am fairly new to boats. I just bought a 2nd hand DRAGON MINI CAT 860EP 70A BOAT.

The problem I have is after running the boat for a couple of minutes at full speed which is quite fast, it slows down to a very slow speed at full throttle.

I am using 11.1v 3300mah batteries, when I take the boat out of the water and put my battery checker on I am at about 70% charge.

All I can think is its maybe a speed controller issue. When I connect the batteries one controller beeps loud and the other beeps very quiet.

Any ideas ?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM
siberianhusky

Batteries can't supply the current and it's going into LVC (Low voltage cut) mode.
With an esc it's pretty much a working or not working proposition.
What brand and C rating of batteries and how are you connecting them? There are batteries then there are batteries, many of the cheap off brand packs can't deliver the amperage they claim.
What are the temperatures of the motor, esc and batteries when it slows down like that?
Some pictures of the hardware on the back including props would be helpful, may just be a poor setup causing the motor to load up too much, causing it to draw too much current, this usually results in a lot of heat though.
Oh ya it's actually the motor doing the beeping not the esc, I know! Sounds crazy but that's how it works. Not 100% sure how.

Last edited by siberianhusky; 12-22-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:09 AM
tonygoole1

Hi Siberian,

I have Alaskan Malamutes ;-)

thanks for your reply the boat is currently factory set everything original. The batteries are GensAce 25C.

the temps of the motors and esc's are good. they are cool. can certainly take some pics tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 AM
siberianhusky

Do both sides slow down or only one? If it's both I'd say you are hitting the lvc, if it is only one side try swapping the escs and see which side slows down, same with batteries if you have a "left and right" battery.
If after swapping stuff from side to side it it's still the same side it may be a motor on it's way out, could be the one that beeps quieter?
I have two motors that have different volumes, exact same motors and escs. Both run great, the louder one is LOUD! Almost like "But this one goes to 11!"
I love the snow beasts. Last year adopted a short race sled dog 1/2 husky 1/2 greyhound. Quite the interesting critter to say the least, sadly down to one pure breed and the "mixture". Strange little creature, watches TV, but only if there are dogs or wolves on, ignores everything else. Put on a dog show and she sits right in front of it and watches the whole show.
Used to have a really strange one, got her in the Yukon. Half wolf half husky, black and white with blue eyes. All I can say is I'll never another dog like that, an incredible dog. Was camping with a really cute girl, we were on a really nice remote area on the west side of Vancouver Island. Dog saw an eel in a tidal pool, All heck broke loose when Kaya came blasting through the tent door with this 1 meter long thing writhing around, cute girl goes off the deep end screaming snake, dog freaks out drops the "snake" and goes shooting back out the tent, I have no idea what is going on, just woke up, grab the slimy "snake" fling that out the door after the dog, weekend went down hill from there......strange hippy from down the beach cooked and ate the eel for breakfast. Naked long haired old guy gutting an eel made it pretty much impossible to convince cute girl that we should stay.....Me, the dog and the girl in the cab of my pickup truck made for a very quiet drive back to the city.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:02 PM
tonygoole1

both sides slow down. as it does not yaw, it still goes straight and slow.

I love your story, so funny. yep huskies love to spoil things, always thinking of themselves. cant wait to go to Canada on a cruise next year. see the glaciers and your beautiful country. 1 week cruise and 1 week on land. sooo exciting.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Husky sounds like its going into lvc,what esc,s are you using maybe those need upgrading.
Talking about Huskies heres our boy hes 20 months what a handfull but what a stunning boy,bright blue eyes and a real big softy.
Mart
Heres Meeska at 12-13 months
Oh and i was born in Goole now living in Blackpool for the past 18 years.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3341 copy.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	759.5 KB
ID:	1950144  
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 PM
tonygoole1

hi mart

I think the esc's are just crappy factory ones. is it worth programming the lvc to a lower voltage?
what shall I change esc's or motors?

pic of my girls Kita and her daughter Alusha.

do you ever come back to goole?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	386135_10151298482543609_892509334_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1950274  
Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 PM
martno1fan

Hi Tony,
Its hard to say what needs replacing to be honest ,not knowing what esc,s and motors you have etc.But knowing that many rtr boats come with poor quality motors and esc,s hardware drives etc you could look at replacing it all and have a much better boat but as i dont know the hull its hard to say if its worth it or wether your best starting afresh,not much help i know.Try programming the esc see if that helps.
Mart
ps yes we get back to Goole a cpl of times a year to visit my parents our surname is Eastwood,you might know one of us theres hundreds of us or seems like it lol.
ohh pps nice girls

Last edited by martno1fan; 12-22-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 AM
siberianhusky

Too funny Mart! My boy is Myshka!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM
martno1fan

Lol my missus came up with it after searching names,she decided to go for Meeska,she changed spelling from Mishka dont ask me why lol.
Mart