Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Bit more speed needed [noob alert]

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Bit more speed needed [noob alert]

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:33 PM
PaulFzs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit more speed needed [noob alert]

I recently purchased 3x rc boats from an auction website as spares or repair, managed to get 2 of the 3 going, the other is pretty much a lost cause (anyone interested in a swap for motors or esc)

1 proboat impulse 17
1 speed storm NQD
1 unknown boat apparently a hover craft, had the parts for 2 motors and such, solid hull so no skirt but the wiring for the esc has been cut super short. boats all there, controller, battery wiring and other wiring for esc just short)

the pro boat i got running pretty quickly just had to switch esc out and the Speed storm just needed a battery!

the unknown boat is a lost cause for me so its up for swap if anyones interested in a small project.

Now back to the question...

The nqd is fairly slow about 5mph maybe and the turning is terrible! took it to a nearby lake today and it took half a lake to turn!

I have looked at other motors and stuff for a bit more power (im looking at getting 2x-3x the speed or so) but it makes no sense to me.

is it a case of buying a faster motor and just switching them around? ive seen a lot of threads with people saying about changing to other batteries and esc and motor which sounds like a lot of work!

So what im asking is can anyone tell me exactly what id need to do for a little more power

im looking at doing this on a pretty tight budget in my spare time so changing out most of the boat is sort of out of the question.

Anyone able to link me to a motor that i could just switch out with the ones i have?

Pics of boats:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (1).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	2108704   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	2108705  
Old 07-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Patrick125

You might be better off not investing in that boat. You might put in a more powerful package for power and find that the drive need upgrading, also it might not be a fast designed hull, so you might be better off saving for a better boat like the aquacraft revolt or proboat impulse 31 etal.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 AM
PaulFzs

Thanks for the advice, i have seen a video of this boat upgraded a lot but im only looking for a little bit more poke as it is just too slow.

I have looked at things like outrunners from rc planes with an idea to attach to it
Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Patrick125

I saw a modified version to that boat run, it runs to wet and it had a submerge drive, the boat looks hopeless if you want something fast. It would be better to save for a faster boat. They are a few good ready to run boats, such as proboat miss gieco 31, proboat blackjack, aquacraft lucos oil, revolt 30 and others.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:02 PM
PaulFzs

ignored advice here, typical man thing, this has 2 15a escs so ordered 2 540 20t motors, seems to be a bit more powerful, will run on a single battery due to weight, may convert to lipo later on depends how it goes.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:17 PM
PaulFzs

540 20t motors fitted took it out today and disaster!!

It got to the middle of the lake and stopped.. put my impulse 17 in the water to nudge it back to the edge but i caught a low part of the nqd and flipped the impulse sinking it!

nqd slowly floated closer to the edge so i waded in and grabbed it, new battery and tried to rescue the impulse... got to the impulse and it stopped again! no drifting nothing..

a guy came along with a labrador and sent him in after it, nudged the nqd and the battery sprung into life! he then grabbed the impulse picked it up out the water and brought it back for me.

But the nqd is a bit faster now

Last edited by PaulFzs; 07-18-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Patrick125

The speed control may be the weak link in the nqd, 15 amps maybe to low for the 540's. The speed control might be going into overload protection. But I hope you find the new speed fast enough to entertain you for a while.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM
PaulFzs

nqd has no speed controller its all or nothing (unless you meant something else that i dont know about which is likely)

Ive decided to leave this as it is, its faster it will do but im going to change my proboat impulse 17 to brushless, priced up the parts but its a bit "pricey" in my current financial situation.

i need
1x brushless motor
1x 50a esc
1x receiver + tx

around £40 at hobbyking