Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

FT012 Racing boat. Hobby King.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

FT012 Racing boat. Hobby King.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM
crispyspa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FT012 Racing boat. Hobby King.

I just got one and they are a blast! I did an unboxing and a maiden run. Have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWvi2yQWPiw
Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dam*ed Toyota ad covered 2/3rds of your video!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 PM
crispyspa

Originally Posted by Got RPM
Dam*ed Toyota ad covered 2/3rds of your video!
That's how I get to buy more hobby stuff. Revenue from ads. You can click the "X" in the upper right of the ad to dismiss it. The one thing I won't ever do is allow non skip-able ads though. Those p*ss me off.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:30 PM
damfurst

Originally Posted by crispyspa
I just got one and they are a blast! I did an unboxing and a maiden run. Have a look.
Enjoyed seeing this self righting boat. I have a MHz Gecko that will also self right and is a blast to run like yours is. Have fun.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

From what I can see, it's toy grade and poorly designed. If the ESC wires are against the motor's fan from the factory, that puts a big red flag up for me. And what's the deal with the dog bone between the motor and stuffing box? Didn't they even line up the shaft to the motor output shaft? That just screams "CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to me. I wonder what else was done with profit in mind, other than a cheap radio system. Sorry, just call it as I see it and, in my opinion, that toy can stay in China
Old 11-14-2015, 09:25 PM
crispyspa

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
From what I can see, it's toy grade and poorly designed. If the ESC wires are against the motor's fan from the factory, that puts a big red flag up for me. And what's the deal with the dog bone between the motor and stuffing box? Didn't they even line up the shaft to the motor output shaft? That just screams "CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to me. I wonder what else was done with profit in mind, other than a cheap radio system. Sorry, just call it as I see it and, in my opinion, that toy can stay in China
Oh it is definitely toy grade, it screams "CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!" to everyone, but it's heads above a Nikko or Radio Shack brand. It's just a cheap toy I bought to carry with in case my kids or other boatless friends want to run while I run. The design seem to work well. My guess is the dog bone is to alleviate the stress between the motor and shaft in case of hull flex? Just a guess. You don't get much for $100 this day and age but this seems like a bargain for someone just starting and it's RTR, battery and charger included. Not everyone can afford a $1000 boat right out of the gate, not to mention high end batteries and chargers.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by crispyspa
You don't get much for $100 this day and age but this seems like a bargain for someone just starting and it's RTR, battery and charger included. Not everyone can afford a $1000 boat right out of the gate, not to mention high end batteries and chargers.
And I totally agree with this. Heaven knows, my first boat cost me around $250 and it ended up being a piece of junk that never did run right. That $250 included a wood kit, hardware pack, engine and two channel radio.
I can still build a bare wood hull for less than the $250 but everything else has gone through the roof. Then again, my boat's performance is also night and day better as well.
If that's going to be used as a loaner boat, that's a great idea. My boats are too fast to loan to someone that's never driven before
Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 PM
crispyspa

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
My boats are too fast to loan to someone that's never driven before
I hate it when random people and kids beg me to run my boats or cars. People that have never had more than a TV remote in their hand like to ask the most because they just don't understand.

My Brother wanted to try one of my 5s batteries in his Losi 8ight e 2.0, He's kind of a noob, but I let him borrow the $100 battery. He seemed to handle it fine, but one of those extreme Noobs asked him if they could run it...he handed the control to him and told him to go real easy on the throttle. The guy pulled the throttle all the way and immediately lost control and flew by a group of bystanders, the car ended up hitting a camper stabilizing leg lid first which bent my nice new 5 cell battery in half...literally in half. Amazingly, the losi survived unscathed. The battery must have acted as an airbag.

The guy wasn't too happy that I expected him to pay for it, but hey, he broke it. You pay to play. The best part was when I showed him the price. He almost fell over.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

The guy is lucky he was only asked to replace the battery pack. In the case of my boats, I run nitro powered hydroplanes, the biggest(so far anyway) being almost 4ft long. With a top speed of around 70MPH, there's no way I can let someone with little to no experience touch the controller. To do so would probably consign my boat to the garbage can with a $2000 bill being handed to the person that wrecked it. That being said, $2000 would be a conservative figure. To take it one step further, I run sharpened and balanced metal props that would go through bone and muscle like a knife through soft butter
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 PM
crispyspa

To take it one step further, I run sharpened and balanced metal props that would go through bone and muscle like a knife through soft butter
That paints a pretty picture. EEESH!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

If you think it sounds bad, you should see the pictures in the latest issue of NAMBA's Propwash magazine. If you're squeamish, it will turn your stomach very quickly
Old 11-20-2015, 04:45 PM
crispyspa

Is there an online version? Or you could post pics here I'm sure.