Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing a motor

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Need help choosing a motor

Old 02-25-2018, 06:43 PM
rash_powder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a motor

I posted this same question on another forum and got very little help.

I am at the point in my build of a Vic Smeed designed boat called the Remora where I need to start looking into getting a motor/speed control/prop for her. The hull framing is finished and I am about 1/2 through putting the skin on the hull. By the plans she should have been 30" but I screwed up the printing and shes closer to 40" by about 14" wide. Vic spec'd her for a 45mm prop, but I figure since she's a bit bigger I'll get a bit bigger prop. The problem is I have never built or ran or equipped a boat before. I also do not know what to expect for performance from this hull, especially as it is my first build.

So I am looking for advice as to what size brushless motor, speed control, and prop (i'm thinking 1/3 larger than 45 so 58mm). I definitely do not expect race boat speeds, but would like to see her move with a fair bit of speed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

matt n
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM
crapshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like your going to be running on 6s lipo battery power so a good size motor for the 6s needs to have a kv rating of between 1400 to 1700 maximum. the T.P. 4092 motor would be good. you can use a 180 / 220 or 240 amp esc, the 180 amp Turnigy esc is suited for up to 6s so its up to you how big and how much you want to spend. as for props you should start off with a smaller size and work up if needed. try an Octura x447.