Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Boat Jet Drive Retrofit Suggestions

Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM
albietz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Boat Jet Drive Retrofit Suggestions

Hi Guys,
The images below are of an old boat that I recently started working on originally built for me by my father back in the 1970s. I am looking to restore it and give it to my son. This is the fifth of my family’s boats that I am bringing back to life, so I might get a little creative with this one. I’m posting here because I am considering a jet drive installation. Based on sizing of boats that I have researched online, it seems like a 40mm jet drive might be an appropriate fit. The boat would be driven in lakes/ponds, not rapids or anything that turbulent. My questions are:

1) I am not sure if the dimensions/shape of the hull lend themselves to this type of propulsion, so does this type of conversion seem reasonable?
2) If this drive seems reasonable, is the 40mm drive appropriate in size? I would like some zip to the boat to make it fun to drive but it doesn’t need to be a rocket
3) Where is an appropriate place to put the COG when converting to a jet drive?
4) OSE did a good job of recommending ESC/motor/battery combinations on their site for their 40mm drive, so if another jet drive is recommended it would be great if this info was also included.

Boat info:
Length - 27”
Max hull width - 9"
Width of stern - 7.25”
Height of stern - 3.25”
Weight of empty hull - 1.8lbs

Thank you . . . Paul
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Full Boat Pic.bmp (1.05 MB, 28 views)
File Type: bmp
Boat Bottom.bmp (1.05 MB, 9 views)