Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Need Power System Recommendations for RC Ship!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Need Power System Recommendations for RC Ship!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 PM
thomaska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Power System Recommendations for RC Ship!

Hi,
I am completely new in RC Boats. I am building a Utility Ship in my 3d Printer and i need recommendations for power system if that possible. I am not interested in speed, i am interested in good and smooth cruise since it is a ship and not a boat. I believe that i need motors with low KV but i don't know what to choose and with what ESC. Do i need cooling system also?

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Best Regards

Thomas
Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You left out a lot if information that we would need to help you out. These are just a few of the basics:
1) How big is this ship going to be(Length and width)?
2) How heavy is this ship going to be?
3) How fast do you want it to be? I know you said speed isn't an issue but it does come into play when trying to figure out how much power you will need to reach your speed goal. After all, you don't want a ship that only goes 1 or 2 KPH as that would be like watching paint dry while, at the same time, you don't want your displacement hull up on a plane either
4) How long of run time do you want? Are you looking at 5 or 10 minutes or are you looking at over an hour?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 PM
thomaska

Firstly I would like to thank you for the reply. let me answer in your questions.
1) How big is this ship going to be(Length and width)?
The length is 1 meter and the width 30 cm.
2) How heavy is this ship going to be?
As for the weight, I will use some extra weight in order to avoid sinking because the ship itself it is not heavy due to printing material. Some guys use arround 4 kilos of extra weight so I am thinking that the ship might be around 5 kilos.
3) How fast do you want it to be? I know you said speed isn't an issue but it does come into play when trying to figure out how much power you will need to reach your speed goal. After all, you don't want a ship that only goes 1 or 2 KPH as that would be like watching paint dry while, at the same time, you don't want your displacement hull up on a plane either
As for the speed, I agree on what you mention. I don,t want not a plane either a watching paint dry. I want a smooth cruise. Some other guys again are using two Avroto avl3520 kv:400​​​​​​ but this motors are for drones as I saw.
4) How long of run time do you want? Are you looking at
​​at 5 or 10 minutes or are you looking at over an hour?
​​​​​​I am looking on no more than 10 minutes. I am running with electric cars on a local races and the time is between 7 to 10 minutes on each race. I don't need more than that.

One more think. The propellers are brassed 55mm each. It will have two propellers and two motors.

Thanks a lot.
Thomas
Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Thomas, what does “a smooth cruise” actually mean? What mph does that mean? What is the scale of the ship? Do you know the number of blades and the pitch of the propellers? Exactly what batteries and what total voltage will you use to each motor? We need this information to help you.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
thomaska

Hi again. The propellers and the blades are 4 and the model is 55mm-thread-m4-rab-174-11 and 55mm-thread-m4-rab-174-12. I am giving the models to see it in google because i cannot add links in posts before submitting at least 10 posts. Following are the specs of the propellers

Raboesch Brass D Type 4 Bladed Propeller RH
55mm Diameter M4 Thread
Pitch 49.0mm

Batteries and voltage i don't know because that depends on the motors. As for ESC to help you more i am thinking to use the Hobbywing Seaking 120A. But again this depends on the motors needs. That is a thought only. So i am expecting some suggestions for the complete package. As for the question for the smooth cruise, i said that i am new in boats, probably i don't know how to express it betters but i mean that i need to see a ship cruise not a racing boat. That is a ship so i don't want to see it flying. The guy who designed the files for the ship was using as i said the Avroto avl3520 kv:400. But these motors are for drones. That is why i am asking, i need suggestions for complete waterproof set (battery, esc, motor) for boats.

Best Regards

Thomas

Last edited by thomaska; 04-15-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, I think this would be one to turn over to those that know power systems for ships. I'd try MACK Products since they do this kind of thing. Here's a link to their site:
power units - q
Old 04-16-2019, 04:49 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

In a "speed - electric" section, you are liable to attract answers for fast boat solutions, which will not be useful for a heavy displacement boat. (I am guessing at a cabin cruiser?)
Ballasting, unless to create stability, does not prevent sinking.
From your weight estimations and the length / beam dimensions, a couple of 545 motors geared to 2.5:1 and using the voltage on the label should work fine. These are brushed motors, and any 15 amp marine ESC (for each motor) will work fine. A general rule for brush motors is "larger can diameter than prop diameter + more motor poles than prop blades". Gearing a 545 does this. Performance should get you to hull speed without forcing too much current draw.
If you model is of a know prototype, and the power of the prototype is know, you can work out what the model needs.