Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

ProBoat Recoil 26 Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

ProBoat Recoil 26 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Stoshski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProBoat Recoil 26 Upgrade

I'm new to the game and just purchased a ProBoat Recoil 26. I don't want to make any other modifications yet other than the prop and battery for now. What do you recommend? I don't want to jeopardize any of the current stock components but looking for some better performance.

I may be asking other dumb questions in the future. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No dumb questions. An Octura or CNC m450 or x442 prop (or equivalent) is known to wake up the Recoil, the Octura must be sharpened but are more durable if you ever hit the prop on trash, the bottom, etc. Larger props (x445) can be faster, but they may cause the LVC to activate due to the increased amp draw. You can also spend an hour or two reading this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...R#post33837599

Old 09-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Stoshski

I really appreciate the help.
One more... It comes with a 11.1V 3200mAh 3S, 30c LiPo - What would you recommend as an upgrade without jeopardizing any of the internal components? How would the larger battery increase performance? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Got RPM

I doubt that you would see a huge difference with a “better” battery. All the energy in an FE boat is in the battery, but unless you want to compromise reliability by installing a large prop I wouldn’t go crazy with top-end packs. A higher “C” rating might help a little, but don’t expect another 5 mph. A larger capacity (4400 mAh for example) would increase run time, but the extra weight might slow things down and negatively effect the self-righting. A 14.8 volt pack will increase speed, but would require a different ESC and perhaps a different motor.

If you want an additional battery to swap out to extend running time at the pond, I’d suggest a 11.1 volt 3200-3500 mAh 40-60C pack from a quality supplier. The HobbyKing Heavy Duty and Graphine packs are inexpensive but surprisingly good quality.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Stoshski

Thumbs up Lipo Battery

You are full of knowledge and maybe one day I'll be asking to upgrade other components... Thank you again.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Stoshski

Default Props

Hello again. Where is the best place to purchase these props? I've found websites that are either out of stock or have a limited selection. I've heard Off Shore Electrics is good but can't find what I need on their site. Should I have them balanced and exactly what is the material of the prop? Thanks.

Last edited by Stoshski; 09-05-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Got RPM

I get most of mine at OSE, the CNC props are aluminum and don’t require balancing. Here is one, lots more available:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...=cnc-4019250-R

The Octura props are hard beryllium copper metal, sharpened and balanced here:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SB-oct-x440

Old 09-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Stoshski

Default Props

I'm new at this and thank you.

I was recommended to get the Octura x442. Is that a big difference from the X440? (Product ID SB-oct-x440)

The CNC are much less in price. Why? Is the CNC M450 their product or is it general prop talk? I'm really confused for also looking at the M450. What is the M vs X. One more, does it matter if it's an R or L (turn left or turn right?) I'm driving you nuts with these questions.

Last edited by Stoshski; 09-05-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Got RPM

The x442 is 2mm larger in diameter with slightly more pitch. It will work well, but bring the boat in after three minutes to see if the motor, ESC or pack is hot, it will probably be faster but that means it draws more amps, shortens run time a little and runs hotter. The CNC props are machined by computer, low labor costs, cheaper metal. In most cases these props are copies of Octura props, the latter has been supplying R/C boat propellers for over 50 years.

The Octura props are cast hard metal and require hand-balancing and sharpening - skilled labor is more expensive. Neither will survive hitting a rock, but even a small twig can damage the CNC prop while the hard copper prop will likely not be damaged. For most sport boating use the CNC props are fine.

The M designation means that part of the prop blade is removed to increase top speed slightly. This does reduce acceleration slightly. You want the standard left-handed prop, counter-clockwise rotation.

Propellers :: Fast Electric RC Boat Club

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...IaAvSjEALw_wcB

Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Stoshski

I never claimed to be a Master Prop Man but this is helpful to study. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Stoshski

Default Battery

Got RPM, You've always been great help and have a question regarding the Dynamite 30c 3s 3200mah battery which came w/ the ProBoat Recoil. I've charged, discharged and stored this by the book and one side on the battery is puffed. How and why could this happen? I'm getting a voltage tester and if everything is up to par, can it still be used?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Got RPM

Cool

Without seeing the pack it’s difficult to say if it is safe to use....or even to safely store in the house. A slight puffing is usually okay, but anything more is not worth trying to save a few bucks if it risks a boat or house fire.

Why did it happen? That too is hard to say. Some packs will have a bad cell which can fail on the first use or on the twentieth. If the pack ever got really hot, if the pack got out of balance, if it was discharged too low or if one cell was overcharged - all these can shorten a pack’s life. Do you have a battery balancer? If not, you should. There are many available, the ones I use are like this:

HTRC Battery Meter 5-in-1 Digital Capacity Checker Battery Balancer Intelligent Cell Meter for LiPo / LiFePO4 / Li-ion/NiCd/NiMH Batteries Packs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7BPFYB..._VvBTDbX7RJFPN

Last edited by Got RPM; 10-27-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Stoshski

This helps and there's such a science to these batteries. I'm using the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus to balance but will check out your recommendation if it's something of better quality.