Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Astroflight 207D ESC Blues!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Astroflight 207D ESC Blues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 11:36 AM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astroflight 207D ESC Blues!

Good morning guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Astroflight 207D ESC. Ok, I'm running twin 10T Reedys on a gear drive system that's in a 28" Kyosho Hurricane Catamaran. Well, if the boat is NOT in the water, you can slowly, and I mean SLOWLY squeeze the trigger and it will rev up good & fast like it supposed to. If you squeeze the trigger quickly, it revs for just a half a second or so and shuts off. In the water, you can't even get it up on plane due to the fact that the motors shut off as you progress with the trigger and the RPM begin to climb. Is there a setting with my ESC that maybe I'm missing? I'm running the Airtronics FM 3-channel radio system. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,
Shayne
Old 11-09-2003, 09:17 AM
MikDee

Default RE: Astroflight 207D ESC Blues!

10 turn motors?,,, thats seems a bit too much!!!,,, you're probably over the amp limit of the ESC!,,, put in a microswitch instead. 2- 17turn motors would be plenty of power for that boat, plus if they were 17t Monster max pros, they would have the least chance of overheating then any 05 motors. Apparently you don't know about overheating, you'll never keep those 10turn motors cool enuff to last in that boat, remember every turn of that prop causes heat buildup from friction caused by resistance of water, you're not running in air,,, and there's never any coasting in a boat!,,, another thing to consider, is your plastic gearbox, a 17t motor would really stress it, and a 10t motor will destroy it quickly!,,,
Old 11-13-2003, 01:53 PM
rcrdps

How many cells are you running? Are you running the motors in series or parallel? If you're running them in parallel, you'll likely overheat the controller. It can take a good bit though. The best setup will be 12 cells in series to the motors wired in series. My guess is that you are running 6 cells to the two motors wired in parallel. That controller, though spec'ed at 6 cells, really isn't a good 6 cell controller. It's better at 12 cells+. It's cutoff voltage is like 6 volts, so when the motors pull hard on the batteries and the batteries lower in voltage, the controller shuts off for a few seconds. To run that controller with only six cells, your cells must be in top shape, and you can't pull much from them.

Gene
Old 11-13-2003, 02:44 PM
NitroMedic

Hey Gene!

I think you've just hit the nail on the head! I'm running 6 cells on the 2 10T Reedys which are wired parallel. Also, that's exactly what it seems like it's doing. It's cutting off just as the RPM gets going good, which tells me it's going below the "cut off" limit of the voltage.

One last thing, I'm really new to the "electric" boating spectrum and I'm not too familiar with wiring them in "series". If you have any pics or advice for this set-up it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, for not "attacking" me for my ignorance.

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 11-13-2003, 03:48 PM
rcrdps

In parallel, you wire them plus to plus and minus to minus. In series, one side's plus goes to the other's minus.

parallel:
+ -
+|||||||||-
+|||||||||-

series:
+ -
+||||||||- +|||||||-

bateries motors
-||||||||+ -||||||||+ +MMMMM- +MMMMM-
|_________________________________|
Most flashlights put the batteries in series... ie, flat side to bump side. Your six cell pack has the batteries in series. Just think of the motors as batteries and stack them(electrically), except that they go plus to plus and minus to minus with the batteries.
If you want a combination like batteries in parallel, motors in series, just take that part of the picture and mate it with the other one that you want.

Gene
Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 PM
SLOWBOAT-N

Nitro
If you read the spec's again the 207D requires a min. of 6 cell pack.
Your 10T motors are pulling the voltage below the cutoff point.
I run two 6 cell packs in series.
I also encountered the problem you are talking about.
If I slowly applied throttle the boat would move, but at half throttle or so it just stopped.
Would not do anything if I mashed the throttle.
Had me realy stumped for a while. When I checked everything out I found nothing wrong with the motors, or controller. What I did find is one of my packs had shorted, and was dead.
So the motors were only getting a reduced voltage from one pack. Not enough to get over the min. cutoff point.
The 207D is rated 6-36 cell, with continous 60AMP draw, and peak of 75AMP.
The guys on here have convinced me I don't need or want the inline fuse, and I need to change my connectors.
It's part of the hobby to work through these problems, and good so many others will share the info. they have learned.
Keep on Boat-n
Old 11-13-2003, 08:14 PM
NitroMedic

Hey Gene!!

Thank you so much for taking time to explain this process to me. I know it probably gets "old" after a while when you come on this forum and you get pounded with all the "dumb" questions from the newbie. Now, I'm beginning to understand parallel vs series thanks to you!

Also, if I wanted to run 2 6-cell packs but the Astroflight has only one battery connector, how do I fix that? <<I know, dumb question>> Sorry.

Heyyy SLowBoatBro!!

Maybe you can answer the "2 battery packs vs one battery connector on the Astroflight" question? Also, will adding another 6-cell pack (total of 12 cells) to my twin 10T motors fix the voltage cut-off problem? Glad to see you got your problem fixed. I'm so anxious to get her out on the water I can taste it.

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 11-14-2003, 07:40 AM
MikDee

I assumed you were running 12cells to the controller, you know what happens when you assume,,, lol,,, anyway, most controllers of this type, have a low voltage cutoff to save your batteries & gear, it is somewhere on the low end of the scale of a 6-12cell controller, maybe 5volts?,,, and it shuts down. U need either a very powerful 2400-3300mah batt pack, OR to run 7cells or more to keep the minimum cutoff voltage up,,, Next, IF YOUR MOTORS CAN HANDLE IT, To run 12cells in paralell, or series, U need a Y connector between batteries,,, paralell u connect the 2 positive wires to the 1 positve terminal going to the ESC, and connect the 2 neg. wires to the 1 neg. terminal going to the ESC,,, series u connect the pos. wire on 1 batt. to the neg. wire on the other battery, then with the remaining batt. wires, the (red) pos. goes to the pos. terminal on the ESC, and the (black) neg. wire goes to the neg. terminal on the ESC. Draw this up on paper first as directed, it will make it easier to understand. Good Luck, Mike
Old 11-17-2003, 04:44 PM
NitroMedic

Hey guys,

I apologize about the delay. We have a lot going on right now. Thank you ALL so much for responding and being patient with the "newbie" as I try to get a grasp on this "electric" issue. This hobby is really exciting and I do love a good challenge. So, with all this in mind, I plan on being around and buggin' you veterans for a veeeerrrry long time.

About your info, I'm really starting to get a true understanding of your explanations and for that, it's much appreciated. I just ordered a Y-harness and a couple extra battery packs for the Hurricane Cat. I have a really good feeling this will fix my problem. I'll keep y'all posted on any updates. Again, I thank you guys very much.

Thanks again,
Shayne