Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

cheap boat (rtr or kit could be fine) to put a 700 in?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

cheap boat (rtr or kit could be fine) to put a 700 in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 AM
pompebled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cheap boat (rtr or kit could be fine) to put a 700 in?

Hi Zonda!

I think you're making way too much of it.....

If I am correct the length of your motor is about 60mm, right? 66mm is possible too, than it's the more powerful version.

The plastic end, where the brush holders and the rear bearing are, mostly indicates, that it's a type with Ferrite magnets, the most common variety. Mabuchi produces this, and other, motors by the millions, modelshops put on their own sticker, give it a fancy name and presto, they're three (or five) times the normal price.

To give you an indication of the difference between Ferrite and Neodym magnets; I run my mono 2 on 12 cells at 40 Kph for 6-7 minutes full throttle.
I've also run it with a 700 ferrite short can motor, the running time is close to 20 minutes, full throttle, speed about 25-30 Kph.
I ran this setup last winter, man, it were the longest 20 minutes ever, I was freezing, only had one thumb out of my jacket to steer....
I think your motor will perform similar, on how many cells, will be trial and error.

ESC:

You need one that can handle 12-14 cells ( so you can use it in future boats) and about 35-40 Ah continuously, a ESC for electric flight will do just fine.
If you're confused, I can search the web for ESC, that will do, that are available for you. There are some small manufacturers in Germany and the Tchech Republic who make excellent ESC for boats and planes at very reasonable prices, but I have no idea of the shipping costs, If you want to know, I'll inquire.

It's always good to get well informed.

Greetings, Jan.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:21 PM
ZondaC12

ive attached pics of the motor. the large par of the motor is 60mm long, is that the part i should be measuring, or should i include the small round bulges at the ends? so i could get an esc that supports 12-14 cells and run 8 cells like you suggested before with that esc?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65030.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	114726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65505.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	114727  
Old 03-24-2004, 04:01 AM
pompebled

Yep, that's the one!

Should work well in the boatsize you have in mind, on a submerged drive it will take a Xprop ranging from 36 - 42 mm.

Yep on the ESC too, if you find one with BEC, take that one, it saves you the receiver batteries (which always seem to be dead at the most inconvenient moments) and some additional weight.
If you just want to go fast, a flight ESC will do, if you want to maneuver aswell, you'll need one with reverse.

Greetings, Jan.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 AM
ZondaC12

ok so how about those CEN aqua jet boats? will its esc handle this? will i need the 775 version? or will the 550 version's esc handle it? remember like u said i should use 8 cells on this, so im guesing the 775 version is out of the question right, because thats 12-14 cells right? or maybe what would u reccomend for amperage rating? could i just get a normal cheap reversible esc like the traxxas xl-1 or one of those cheap duratrax intellispeed things?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM
CsChuck14
My Feedback: (-1)

id go with traxxas, they're pretty cheap, but very good and durable
Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
pompebled

Hi Zonda,

The ESC that comes with the 775 motor will handle your motor just fine, the 12-14 cells is the maximum amount of cells it will handle, not the minimum required number.
Most ESC in that category will handle 6-14 cells.

If the 550 version will cope with (up to) 8 cells and about 20 Ah continuously, that one will do as well.

The very long running time I mentioned above (in my mono 2 hull) gives a load of around 10 Ah, so if you take a ESC with some reserve, it will run just fine.

I'll post a pic of the ESC I run later this evening.

Gotta run, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47111.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	114990