Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

caribean cruiser or villian ex?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

caribean cruiser or villian ex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:24 PM
rave1691

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caribean cruiser or villian ex?

Ok, here another newbie with tons of questions. I am totally new to the rc world. Ive never owned a high quality boat. So basically Im still learning but after doing a lot of research and comparisons, I know what boats are awesome and whichs ones are ok. Of course like every newbie, we want to know which are the fastest electrics with fairly easy maintenance. Some of my questions were answered just by looking through these forums. Unfortunaly I dont know anyone I know locally I can ask. The Miss budweiser boat caught my eye but there are simple problems that some people have encountered that would require experience and that I dont have. So my best choice is to go with electric. I would like to know about these boats since they have a similar twin 550 engine. Im guessing that they are about equally fast so what I need to know is which one is better and why and problems most likely I would encounter.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
pompebled

Default RE: caribean cruiser or villian ex?

Hi rave!

If you want a "high quality boat"(your own words), steer clear of all, more or less, far eastern built ABS, RTR boats, they are not bad for a beginner, but if you look through all the postings of people who want to improve on their ABS boats, you know what the problem is; after a while you want more speed and overall performance.

Take a look at www.mhz.engines.com they have a US distributer too.

And my personal favourite: www.hopf-modelltechnik.de , if I'm not mistaken you can purchase these boats through the US MHZ outlet aswell.

Both manufacturers sell handlayup hulls made of epoxy-resin and glass, and all you need to complete the boat, Hopf has a number of sets put together, and if you ask nice even some RTR boats, assembled by the master himself.

Like almost everybody I started with a ABS kit, was almost instantly bored with it, spent a small fortune on improving it, met some people with these hulls, was baffled with the speeds they ran, and wanted one too.
Meanwhile I have several of these boats, you can run them with any thing you want (and can afford), from simple brushmotors (mabuchi/johnson) and reach high speeds to brusless motors, reaching speeds that will make you wet yourself.....

Hpoe I did not scare you off, if you have any questions, let me know.

Greetings, Jan.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:52 PM
t3racer

I have a caribbean cruiser and its ok for begginers but my best guess would be to stick with the ex. Megatech says 25 mph out of the box, mine might not have even hit 12[:'(]. I dont have any radar gun but that boat is deffinately not going to go 25mph out of the box. The ex is probably a faster more dependable boat.[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 03-30-2004, 08:04 AM
MikDee

Of the two boats you mentioned, the Villain EX is better & faster, BUT, a better less complex beginners electric boat is the 12 cell 700 motor Aqua Jet, it is about as fast as the Villain EX, but with minor mods can be faster,,, "best bang for the buck" go here www.offshoreelectrics.com
Old 03-30-2004, 12:56 PM
rave1691

I appreciate the useful knowledge. After more reading, the villain ex has stolen my heart. Now raises another issue I'll post here in a few.