Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft EP Hammer Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Aquacraft EP Hammer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 AM
1bad vee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft EP Hammer Thread

Still waiting to see this guys set up, put you can bet I'll have my digital camera with me for show and tell. thanks guys for your patients but it may turn out to be worth the wait. even if you could tame it down some for more stability. remember I have yet to see it,but this is like someone trying to find bigfoot. 1BADVEE
Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 AM
DynoDon

Well I just got started and moved here from AZ. Just finished some mods on with a super vee.where is the park located?..
I would like to run it..
Dyno Don
ORIGINAL: chipster009

Wondering if there are any fellow Hammer EP owners in Orange County, CA (Irvine or surrounding areas) that want to run at Heritage Park. There's a nice glassy pond there.
I've taken my Hammer there a couple times. Lots of fun!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:06 AM
dorkymk3

i would go to mile square park in fountain valley, CA. Very big pond.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
bugman72
My Feedback: (4)

After taking a couple of days to read this thread, I've decided to purchase a EP Hammer (in white...blank canvas for painting!). Almost every page makes mention of the Permax 600 motor. Problem is...I can't find one ANYWHERE to purchase. Tower doesn't show it anymore and all of my Googling turns up places overseas only. Anyone know a place in the US that I can order one from? Someone had made mention of the motors from All Electronics (DCM-229 or maybe the DCM-231). Has anyone had any experiences with either of those motors? They are extremely cheap and I know that the DCM-231 is a motor that is recommended as a replacement for the kid's PowerWheels vehicles, so they have a bit of power available to them.

I plan to remove the ESC and replace it with my extra Novak Rooster ESC. I'm sure it's a tad heavier than the stock ESC, but I can't really afford an XRS or a Proboat ESC right now. Would adding an ESC cooling block from Offshore help out in keeping the ESC from overheating (the Rooster is rated at 100A, according to Novak)? The only 7-cell packs I have right now are my 2/3A 1400 SMCs that I built for my rock crawler. I guess I could do the two packs in parallel to increase my runtime, but I'll probably just stick to my 6-cell GP3300 Sub-C. I don't envision the ESC getting too hot running only 6 cells.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Are you sure you would not rather have the Proboat Shockwave 26? it has a surface drive and I am pretty sure it is a better deal than the Hammer.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM
caspar21

i would have to agree.. since we were talking about the hammer the brushless one with surface drive came out.
it is much faster and more upgradeable for a small price increase.

check this out. it is the newest version of an entry level fast electric boat.
you won't need to upgrade this for awhile.. and when you do you can use equipment that is more readily available.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMDJ4**&P=7
Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 AM
bugman72

That's well over what I was wanting to spend. I'm not looking for a 25+mph boat. I was looking for a cheap, fun and semi-reliable boat that I can easily attain replacement parts for if something happens. I don't think that over twice the price is what I would call a "small price increase" ($110 vs $279). While the Hammer has a subsurface prop, I didn't like the "strudder" of the Shockwave 26 and honestly I don't care too much for the boat's looks. Besides, I'm wanting to have a bit of fun on the water when I'm not doing rock crawling comps, which is where all of my "fun money" goes.

With that, has anyone has any experience with the DCM-231 or the DCM-229 or know where to get the Permax 600?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Bcolici

i dont know if these are equivalent to the permax 600 take a peek if interested [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0094p?&N=P&P=0&F=MASG3560&L=TRKG0110&C=GHATRK[/link]
Old 06-01-2007, 06:50 AM
caspar21

been doing some searches.. is permax gone??

there has to be a good 600 size motor manufacturer around..

the stock motor is a 21 turn 600 motor. you can allways add cells to get more speed out of it. the stock motor can handle up to 8 cells if the water cooling is working well.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 AM
caspar21

can allways use the electrifly motor. it is a 19 turn, 600 motor.(pretty cheap too)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ766&P=0

it is good for a small increase in speed. i don't have any experience with this motor but it should handle 8 cells when everything is working freely and cool. i know someone ( a crazy guy) running this motor with 9 cells in a high current application and it has lasted a whole season.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 AM
bugman72

When I went to my LHS to pick my boat up last night, I asked them about the Permax motor. They have officially been discontinued. Great Plains supposedly has a near exact replacement, but I don't have the model numbers yet. Those motors start at about $12.

Now, onto another issue. Has anyone had any problems in using a different radio with the stock ESC? I have a 75mhz AM Futaba 2PL and since it has 10-model memory I figured that I might as well use it for the Hammer as well. I took the crystal out of my other receiver and put it in the boat's stock receiver. I could NEVER get the throttle channel (channel 2) to ever trim out properly. So, I swapped out the receiver for an actual Futaba one and tried it again. Same issue. Put the original crystal from the boat back into the Futaba receiver, turned on the radio that came with it and everything works fine. Is there something with the stock ESC not being able to handle digital incrementing for trims?

Oh, and does anyone know whether the stock ESC would work in a **gulp** NQD boat with stock twin 380s? My NQD has my Rooster ESC in it and I planned on swapping ESCs, but I'm not entirely sure that the Hammer's ESC will handle twin motors, even if they are 380s. I'll only be running a 6-cell pack with it.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: bugman72

When I went to my LHS to pick my boat up last night, I asked them about the Permax motor. They have officially been discontinued. Great Plains supposedly has a near exact replacement, but I don't have the model numbers yet. Those motors start at about $12.

Now, onto another issue. Has anyone had any problems in using a different radio with the stock ESC? I have a 75mhz AM Futaba 2PL and since it has 10-model memory I figured that I might as well use it for the Hammer as well. I took the crystal out of my other receiver and put it in the boat's stock receiver. I could NEVER get the throttle channel (channel 2) to ever trim out properly. So, I swapped out the receiver for an actual Futaba one and tried it again. Same issue. Put the original crystal from the boat back into the Futaba receiver, turned on the radio that came with it and everything works fine. Is there something with the stock ESC not being able to handle digital incrementing for trims?
Sounds like you discovered your own answer. Sometimes there is some tweaking to make a certain radio work with an esc. Many of us have had similar issues. You just have to find the right combination that works.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM
tmaxx445

My turbovee esc which is the same one as in the hammer will not trim out with my 2 pl. It dose not like digital trim becouse it works with lots of my other radios like traxxas and other non digital futaba too. IDK
Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Hello, every one! Wow it's been a wile since I last posted, little over a year. Anywho, I'm selling my traxxas villain 14.4v (what a slow yacht!) I was looking to get some thing smaller, and less harsh on batteries, with the villain 10 batteries would last me about a half hour [X(] I was looking in to the Hammer because it has nice looks, seems easy to mod, and is cheap. But I do have some questions about it, About that plastic coupler you people spoke of way in the beginning of the thread do I have to worry about that now, has aqua craft fixed that by now( hopefully its been three years!)? And how fast are we looking out of the box? And what have some of you been able to get as far as moded speed goes? And can you fit octura props on it? Thanks for the help!-Rick LTW[8D]
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM
love those warbirds

anyone got this thing anymore?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 AM
caspar21

the plastic coupler has been replaced with a better quality one.

and ye. i still have a hammer 8)

it has been modified to go slowly now.. i use it to pull in stalled rc float planes now. lol

i tow a tennis ball with about 10 feet of string, circle the plane till i tie it up and drag it to shore. works great with a smaller motor on low voltage to avoid heatups.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
love those warbirds

ok, Thanks, what was the top speed stock and what did you get out of it if you did any mods before you made it a tow boat?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 PM
caspar21

i don't know how fast i got it too go..it would skip clear of the water on its own wake after i did a few mods..
first i swapped the motor to a 16 turn 600 size motor and swapped the speed control for a 100 amp one.
second i routed water through some copper pipes ziptied to the speed control's heat sink..
deburred and polished the prop shaft where it was wearing.
shaped the openings on the water pickup for increased flow..
put in a 10 cell pack... 8)

collected some airmiles in rough water..

i found it went over backwards a lot in rough water.. even with the trim tabs down so i removed the radio box and baggied all the un-sealed electronics.
that helped lower the cg.. keeps it right side up when cresting a white topped wave.
i don't think there is much more that can be done to the hammer without doing major surgery.. to go any faster you might as well go to the brushless boat with the surface drive.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
love those warbirds

Ok, thanks for the help
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 AM
chipster009

Just posted a clip of my stock hammer on half a charge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqrd0mWNEY

Anyone in the Orange County area wanna get together and run at this pond in Irvine, CA ???
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 AM
caspar21

here is one done partially like mine..
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5sRAkDWFdM&mode=related&search=[/link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5sRAkDWFdM&mode=related&search=

something i noticed this guy has a problem with is the rudder wiggle.
there is play in the stock rudder and you need to shim it to remove the play or the boat will wiggle down the lake and wipe out at high speed.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 PM
love those warbirds

Very cool guys, thanks for the tips.[8D]
Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Checkpointracer

Just ordered a hammer. I'm very excited right now as this will be my first boat.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
caspar21

wish you the best with it. its quite fun!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: caspar21

wish you the best with it. its quite fun!

Thanks. I tried my friends hammer and thats how I got addicted to rc boats. And since the hammer was so cheap I thought it would be the perfect beginner boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.