Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Micro Boat

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Micro Boat

Old 05-21-2005, 10:25 PM
nickd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Boat

I decided to gather your oppinions on a cheap boat (under $70) cheaper the better
that I could use my Mamba 8000 in
Its just for running in the pond and stuff across the street but I would also love to be
able to bring it camping and jump waves in the lake with
what do you guys recomend, it does not have to be rtr (I have all that stuff)
just dont have any experiance building (and dont really trust myself)
Nick
Old 05-22-2005, 03:43 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Micro Boat

I can't find a site with the specs of the Mamba 8000 (rev/volt), but it seems to be a high rpm motor.

For use in a small boat, the high rpm and the small prop that comes with it could cause more cavitation than speed.

Look at the Gecko hull at www.mhzusa.com , this epoxy hull can take the power of your motor and stay in one piece.

Another very suitable option is a rigger from Climate Models, riggers need high revs and are the fastest electrics around.
Downside is that riggers don't handle chop very well, but man, they are fast!

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:53 PM
cimmy

You might consider the Zig Zag 2 racer It is a turn key baot for under $70 although it is not very fast 10 to 15 mph it is very durable and fun to play with.
mike
Old 05-22-2005, 05:09 PM
nickd

there were a couple on mHZ site that I liked how do you order thier stuff ( I live in canada)
do they all include running gear or only the one you said
Some one said the brushless would shred the zig zags driveline and I would have to costom make an all metal one
Nick
Old 05-22-2005, 05:59 PM
t3racer

How much speed could a tiny boat like that handle?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:23 PM
nickd

I was curious too
the mamba 8000 that I want to put in creates 8000RPM per Volt and has a max of 14V I think
I would use it on say 6-8 cells but its still very fast
I have a ****ty stock pack in my RC18T and it does ulmost 40MpH I think with stock gearing too
Nick
Old 05-22-2005, 09:17 PM
hellomynameisdookie

I'd stay away from the Mamba. It doesn't have the torque that the boat needs....even a small boat. I can almost guarentee you that if you use that motor and the Mamba 25 esc, you'll fry the esc.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:32 PM
nickd

are you sure?
The mamba is known for its tourque especially compaired to brushed motors
I would use it on a low cell count so as long as I came up with a way of cooling I think I would be fine
Nick
Old 05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
hellomynameisdookie

I'd say maybe for the 5400, but I'm still going with no on the 8000. But what I'm really concerned about is the Mamba 25 esc. I do not AT ALL think the Mamba 25 esc can handle the riggors of a boat. The load changes on the motor are just too far and fast. The esc isn't designed for marine use, but land use only. I can almost guarentee you that you'll burn that esc up running it in a boat, especially using the 8000.

But hey, give it a shot, I could be wrong. But if it were mine (and I do have the 5400 system in my 18t) I wouldn't let it get near any of my boats.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Fluid

Dookie is correct, the Mamba 8000 is way too much motor for almost any direct drive boat. On 6 cells the motor would run at over 48,000 rpm to avoid overheating, that is world record speed competition running for just a few seconds at a time, and in a rigger, not a "wave jumper". The 8000 motor must be used with a gear drive on 6 cells, period. Too, it is smaller than the typical 05 car motor and would be more heat sensitive in a boat. Bottom line - bad idea.

But you already have the MAMBA 8000, so what to do with it? Run a 4 cell pack and a small prop. In a small boat. You might try a Hobico Reef Racer, it will handle lots of waves, will give decent speed, and is close to your price point. I do not know if the factory prop is too big or too small for the Mamab 8000 however. Remember, FOUR CELLS! And tape the boat up good to keep out water!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:48 AM
tdonily

I had emailed Castle in regards to their Mamba package in my MHZ Gecko. Their response was to use the Sport (4200Kv) with the smallest prop available and to constantly monitor the temp of the motor and speed control. Also, using it in this application would void any warranty as it wasn't designed for marine use. Just my two cents.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:55 PM
nickd

someone else recomended the gecko too and had a mamba 4200 in it
I have seen a gear reduction for the mamba for use in airplanes would be possible to adapt a boat to have this?
I think it would be better with lower RPM and a larger prop then super 100,000 RPM madness On the driveline
http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?...1a893daa80a046
This is the exact one I was thinking as it mentions mambas in the description
I think you could mount that too the base and use it as a motor mount as well and have the driveline hook up to the gearbox output
(Anyone know how to make costom boats) I am really getting into this I could have a sick boat
Nick
Old 05-25-2005, 09:44 AM
cimmy

I don't see why that wouldn't work though it might take some imaginative engineering to get to to fit just right. You can make anything work some things just take more work and imagination.Good luck.
mike
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM
nickd

what do the rest of you guys think about that idea
I like how cimmy has been very positive about this whole thing rather then saying it wornt work
Nick
Old 05-25-2005, 04:51 PM
hunnerbunner

I thought about the gear reduction route for my brushless. Here are my experiences: The lower priced reduction units are offset, so they don't fit (had some, tried them, they don't fit). Got a pricey inline unit, the only one I could find, and the output shaft was 1/4 inch. Broke even selling it on eebay, figured I could just get another brushless at a lower kv cheaper than a reduction unit anyway, so I did and I am happy.

Fact is, brushless motors are cheap enough now that it is faster and easier just to buy a new motor with the specs you want than to dig around for a power robbing gear unit. I paid more for the inline gear reduction unit than I did for the new motor.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 PM
nickd

really
Thats nuts
I really like the amazing amount of power this thing has and thought it would be fun to build a micro boat (Leaning towards a rigger now)
I have other stuff I could use it just wouldent be as fun (brushed from 280-540 and a 700)
Mabie I will just sick to the cars for now
Nick
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Fine then go take your nice BL motor and BL speed control and hotwire the little sob up in your boat. I don't give a crap if you burn either one of them up, it's not my money.

You asked the questions, just because you didn't get an answer that you wanted to hear doesn't mean anyone is being negative and looking down upon you.

If I went somewhere and asked if it'd be ok to build a house out of 1X3's and they said, "No the house will fall down" it doesn't mean they're being negative.

There are gear reduction units out there. I'm sure you could find something to make it work. You'll have to custom fabricate a mount for your gear box and then get or make a coupler that will attatch the output shaft of your gear box to the propshaft. Untill you get all of your components together, there's no way to tell you what exactly you'll need to make it all work. In reality, it'd be a lot easier, faster, more effecient, and not much less of the same cost to use the correct motor and speed control for the application. But, you can make what you've got work.

ORIGINAL: Lord_Nick_D

what do the rest of you guys think about that idea
I like how cimmy has been very positive about this whole thing rather then saying it wornt work
Nick
Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 PM
nickd

wow
I'm sorry if I made it sound as though I was sudgesting you guys were being negative
I uderstand you were telling the truth I just noticed that cimmy has been all suportive and enthousiastic (even if he doent know the answer)
I just thought I would bring that too everyones attention (he seems like a nice guy)
In no way was it to say anything opposing you guys and your statements
I also follwed by saying that I will probably will just use normal brushes electronics (as I do also have them) or just stick to cars for now and buy a larger boat later on (read my whole post its all there)
I relised that brushless just is not the way to go in boats like you said,
Relax alright lol you guys are all too defensive and angry (oh man now I am going to get flaimed for saying that)
Nick
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
hunnerbunner

Not saying that brushless won't work in a boat, just not as simple as throwing any motor in there. A rigger might be more receptive to a high-kv motor than a v-hull, but 8000kv is just too much for direct drive in any boat. Take a moment to consider that just getting a lower speed motor gives you two motors and you can swap the controller between boat and car (as I do) for double the fun!
For the price of a good gear reduction unit you could have this perfect boat setup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...976957476&rd=1

(tempted to buy it myself)
Edit: That shaft size is exactly right for any speed 400 motor coupling.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:05 PM
nickd

the aution is nolonger up
what was it
yeah I said earlier (last post)
that I willl probably just go brushed
I dont really have the $80 for another brushless (and the controler may not be the best for a boat)
I think I will wait and buy a zig zag or something like that (cheap fun boat) and upgrade it as I go along
for now I am having alot of fun with my cars
Nick
Old 06-14-2005, 09:38 AM
tdonily

I was looking through Hobby Lobby's catalog the other day and found some planetary gear drives that could possibly work with your Mamba provided you have the space to place them in and the motors are mounted with screws just as the original.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear400.htm

I hope this helps. It might must me when I decide to upgrade my Gecko!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
nickd

I think those would be too big
the mamba is a 280 size I think (but puts out 540 power almost)
I have seen others that are off set a little bit rather then inline
and I think if there is enough room one of those would fit better ( they also come in a range of gears)
I have put this project off for now (playing and fixing the RC18T) almost all aftermarket now)
Tell me how yours turns out when you start it
Nick