Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

shockwave 26

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

shockwave 26

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Wave blaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shockwave 26

Nevermind about the dremel, it appears that we now have one!! We have a alltrade 206 piece set rotary tool. I think there is a bit that can be used for this appilication... I look. Matt
Old 09-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hi, Here are some pictures of my Shockwave 26. I did not like the original scheme. I thought about getting an airbrush, I have been wanting one for a while. But don't have the money right now so I came up with a plan. The plan was to paint the boat a solid color. I picked yellow cause it is easy to see from a distance and I like bright colors. Next I did a search on decals. This would limit my cost factor and time. I found some pretty cool looking water splash decals, I have always liked the water splash look and thought it would look even better on a boat. Of course the decals were not made for a boat so I had to do some creative trimming. This is how it turned out. I am still working on the hatch with the men. Not so important, but if it turns out nice I will post pics of that later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58680.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	322197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44786.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	322198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92440.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	322199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98426.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	322200  
Old 09-10-2005, 01:23 PM
hellomynameisdookie

WA, check out your other thread.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Wave blaster

Your boat looks nice. Good paint sceme It's cool. Do youu still have the 550 motor? Any upgrades? Matt
Old 09-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Wheelnut

Hi Wave blaster,
I took out the 550 long ago. I have had a 19 turn double in it which was really fast but the speed control cought on fire. I got lucky and got that replaced for free. I had a 23 turn That seemed alot like stock speed. I am now waiting on my Trinity Monster Max Wild motors to come in for my Villain EX and I will put one of the stock Titans out of the Villain in the Shockwave 26 and try various props. I will post the results. And of course the first thing I did was add water cooling for the motor and ESC.
Mean while check out the Kyosho set up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99036.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	322454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92166.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	322455  
Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Winged Avenger
My Feedback: (1)

GRK65,

Pretail...

How fast did you get SW26 with the new set up. I am intrigued. Today I tried soldering the new deans plugs but, did not have
success. I am thinking that solder is not strong enough. Anyway I will probably take it to the store I bought the plugs from.

Okay I will await your answer.

Also Matt thanks for the inform. I am going to take it out on the water see how she does. I will see if the cops who come by will
scan the boat to see how fast it is. Then depending on GRK65's answers ...then I will decide if I will embark on this journey unfortunately...Iam very short on time when I get home from work...so we shall see what happens.

Thanks for all of your tips..

One more thing let me know GRK65...where you got those decals...nice boat !!

Regards,

Winged Avenger
Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Wheelnut

Winged Avenger,

My Experience:
I am learning the hard way. The first thing I learned is that boats are very different than cars or trucks. They electronics take way more abuse in the boats. One reason is that you can run at full throttle longer in a boat than a car. I have been able to keep most of my boats at full throttle while i shoot straight aways and carve circles. This keeps the amp draw high. which is hard on the ESC and Batteries and Motor. Also Larger motors seem to run better in boats. The 550, 600 and 700 motors have more torque, all metal end bells that don't melt. I put a 9 turn single car motor in the SW26 thinking it was going to be balistic. It was very slow. A rc boat racer told me low turn motors do not run well on direct drive systems, that I would need a gear reduction to run lower turn motors, to allow them to get up to max rpms where they are effecient. Then I got a 15 turn double and the speed control caught on fire. Still too much load. I have been running a 19 turn stock motor that has not been much faster than stock.

Do it the hard way:
My suggestion is this. If you want to turn your SW26 into a surface drive motor. get ready for alot of work. Wave Blaster pretty much had the steps right. You will need to remove everything from the inside the boat. Electronics and all that stock plastic mounting hardware and take everything off the outside of the boat. Rudder, turnfins if you have them, water pick ups if you have them. Then you need to dremmel down the subsurface drive fin flush with the bottom of the boat. Then fiber glass it. I believe you can get fiberglass mesh and resin from your local hardware store. After you have dremmeled, fiberglassed, and painted the bottom of the boat, well at this point you might as well go ahead and paint the whole boat. Then you will need to decide on direct drive or gear reduction drive. I believe most guys run gear reduction drives on vee hulls. You will need to buy a new drive shaft cause the stock one is 1/8" and you have a limited selection of props. and buy a stuffing tube (this is the tube that penetrates the rear of the boat that your drive shaft runs through. You will also need turn fins cause you are going to make it fast and you don't want to spin out in turns and risk flipping the boat. You will need a good Marine ESC like the Jeti 600, and good water cooling. Motor and prop selection is very important. Steve at Offshoreelectrics.com can help you with this and other hardware you will need for the boat.

Do it the easy way:
Now you have probably figured out that the SW26 was not made to be all that. This is obvious by all the modifications you need to make and buy. If I were you, I would just tinker with the SW26, it really wasn't designed to be a racer. You are looking at spending alot of time and money to get it right. To do this you need alot of patience, and need to be experienced in the hobby. This is not a project for someone just getting into the hobby. Check out MHZusa.com click on Mono M wich is medium size hulls and check out either the Hotshot assembled or the Flash assembled. Check out the hardware they come with and they are priced nicely. These are real race boats. If you want 30 to 50mph and stable then these are the type boats you need to be looking at. Yes they have Mono L, XL, XXL, XXXL and so on. The class closest to the SW26 is the Medium to large range. The medium range is cheaper. Also go to Offshoreelectrics.com and check out the Syncron in the electric boat section, they are nice too but a little more pricey than Offshore. Now click the picture showing the servo and motor mount. Nice Huh? Do you think you can do that with precision accuracy? If not then don't try it or you will have a boat that you might as well put a sail on! LOL

Here is an option:
I am waiting on 2 Trinity Monster Maxx Wild motors for my Villain EX. When they come in next week I am going to take the stock titans out of the Villain and put one of them in my SW26. I will let you know how it runs. If it runs well as I suspect, and if you want I will sell you the other used Titan. I have ran them 3 times. PS the Villain EX is pretty fast right out of the box. I am the type of guy that likes to make the boat, car or truck that it will go fast enough to lose controll, and then I like to ride that edge between stable and not stable and then sometimes rev it up to not stable. Know what I mean
By the way I got the decals from Towerhobbies.com.
Good luck,
Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Winged Avenger

GRK65,

Okay have read your reply and I have to admit I am a bit miffed. You have presented some very good
points. I still have the itching to turn this boat into a sdreamer but, as you pointed out...I am not experienced.

let me know how the new engines work out. Nice boat but, I cannot afford it at the moment.
How fast were you able to get the SW26 ? Also one other point what engine did you end up with in the SW26 ?

I still think that change the whole take on the boat will give it a new meaning...I love the paint job
with the stickers....probably will get flames.

Regards,

Winged Avenger
Old 09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Wheelnut

WA,
I think you misunderstood my comment about buying the used one. I meant one of the used motors out of my Villain EX cause I am putting 2 new Trinity Monster Max Wilds in it. As for the 2 used Titan Motors that come out of the Villain, one is going in my SW26 and the other one I will sell or just keep to have around for trial projects. I will let you know how fast it makes the SW26.
With all the trial and error, mostly error, the fastest I have had the SW26 is about 22mph. And that was when the ESC cought on fire and i mean fire. It burned and melted some of the hatch. I have not had the right motor, prop combo yet. I hope the used Titan out of my Villain will work well. I believe it will since it has more torque.

One last thing,
If you decide to transform the SW26 into a surface drive I suggest you do alot of research on what hardware will work best on that boat. You might need one of those cool dual rudder systems, they are commonly used on real fast boats. Also it will take ALOT if patience and time. I guess about 30 days total, if you put about 2 hrs a day into it. That includes ordering the parts and waiting on the parts, and all the work that will need to be done.
Take your time and do it right baby, do it to night.
Sorry I was reminded of that old song when I started writting "take your time and do it right"
Is this your only boat for the moment? What city do you live in? The summer is nearly over here. You could just play with it some and turn this into a winter project. That way you can save some money along the way and buy the higher quality stuff along the way as you do it. I would say put a 700bb motor in it if you want it really fast, then you will need a serious speed control and a nice high torque servo.
Keep us posted, I want to learn from your mistakes also, hehe lol
Contact Steve from Offshoreelectrics.com and find out what you need to turn the SW26 into a 30mph boat, He is a nice guy, I am sure he will point you in the right direction.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:05 PM
mocars2

I just ordered one of these proboats. I will not get that radical. But to answer some of your questions - one on cutting the fin - any of their 3 cutting wheels they offer should work well, There's one they have that's brown with holes in it and it doesn't break off like their thin, breakable cutoff wheels.
The fiberglass cloth will be normally in the automotive sections of stores - used to fill in rust spots on cars. One thing I don't think anyone mentioned was on taking the stuffing tube out - I've been told to heat the tube with a soldering iron and twist it out slowly as the glue or epoxy loosens. On checking your speed - they have a GPS that people use on their boats by a company called Garmin - it's their basic GPS used for hiking and it's Yellow.
On my boat - I'll probably put in one of those Johnson motors that beat the Titans that I sell on Ebay (for $9) and put in a Miss Bud prop. I'll get rid of the 4 battery connection and solder it direct because they are prone to Corrosion and when that happens - off goes the boat at full speed with no controls.

MORE PICS AND MORE INFO ON MODS YOU SHOCKWAVE OWNERS - THANKS
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Wheelnut

Mocars2,
I am interested in hearing more about the Johnson motors that you sell on ebay. I'm sorry but I am having a hard time believing a motor that cost $9.00 can beat a Titan that cost about $20.00 that can take 14.4 volts. What size is the Johnson motor? (540,550,600,700) How many turrns is it? How many volts can it take? What are the no load rpm's? How many turns is it.? Also I am interested in hearing about what application did you learn how the Johnson motor beats the Titan?? It would need to be a situation that you put a Titan motor in a boat and measured the speed and then put the Johnson motor in the same boat and measured the speed and show the results. I am just trying to make sure this is not just hearsay. Knowing that you sell the motors on ebay kinda makes your opinion bias. I am not trying to come down on you, But another thing is I have never heard of an electric Johnson motor made for RC boats. As a matter of fact in all the threads I have read about RC boats I have never heard mention of that motor. Just looking for some facts.
Do you have any pictures you can post of the motor?

Scratch most of the above. I just went to Ebay to do some research and I believe I found the motor you are talking about. Is it that 970 size motor?? It says it is a Johnson. That is one big motor, I bet it has alot of torque. But I also noticed it only has 12000 rpms. I don't believe 12000 rpms will go faster than a Titan which I believe has bout 21000 rpms. I would like to bring Steve from off shore electrics on this. I will see if I can contact him and get him on this thread.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Winged Avenger

GRK65,

No I did not mistake what you wrote. I understood clearly that you would take the old motor from the
traxxas and apply it to your SW26. And if I was interested ..buy the other one from you.

I am more inclined to go the easier route...that is buying your old motor..or maybe following your
path. I am very interested in hearing how the new motor swap goes and how it changes the beloved SW26.

Would the new motor need the higher Torque servo and speed control ? What would you suggest.
About the song...I do remember ...beleive its from the late 70's.

WOW, I am blown away by how interesting and educating this Thread has become. To all you shockwave owners this is the
thread to read!!!

To answer your question..yes this is the only boat I have...having twins excess money is not an option!!!

I have one question...in order to do the soldering what type would you suggest I buy ? The one I have was to weak and
I am going to have to go back to the store I bought the deans plugs from andhave them do it. AARGGH...

Thank God the summer is holding up here...by the way I live in Elmwood Park , NJ. half hour from Manhatten, NY.

Thanks a bunch for helping me along this interesting path of rightous speed boating!!!

Regards,

Winged Avenger
Old 09-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Winged Avenger

MOCARS2,

I am interested to also find out which proboat you had acquired and make sure you also post your project as well.

Also very interested in knowing about the Johnson motor and how it may be faster than the Motors GRK65 has
acquired.

Let us know...for this has become THE HOTTEST THREAD ON THIS WEBSITE.

Regards,

Winged Avenger
Old 09-14-2005, 12:14 AM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

He's talking about this one, not the 970.

"TITAN JOHNSON

246.6 Nmm TORQUE VS 271.1 Nmm TORQUE
16,751 RPMs VS 18,993 RPMs

Tests were conducted at an 8 volt simulation. At 9.6v; or 14.4 these will run even better

They already have the flat spot done for the set screws and I will include BONUS 3 CAPACITORS – that just need to be soldered on along with the wires and you’re all set."

Old 09-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Pagemaster

ORIGINAL: DONS BOAT WORKS

He's talking about this one, not the 970.

"TITAN JOHNSON

246.6 Nmm TORQUE VS 271.1 Nmm TORQUE
16,751 RPMs VS 18,993 RPMs

Tests were conducted at an 8 volt simulation. At 9.6v; or 14.4 these will run even better

Don how where these numbers arived at? Which dyno are you using?

Why will they run even better on 14.4?

Steven
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 AM
properchopper

Winged Avenger is right; this is a HOT THREAD ! I love to read & learn what can be done to mod rtr's, so I'm jumping in !
I'm running Titans in my Twinstorm. Jeti 600, 2x6 or 2x7 cells, and have been looking for faster 550 motors to use 'till I go brushless. The johnsons sound like they are faster than Titans. Are they fan cooled ? How many cells is the "smoke threshold" ?Where can I order some ? Also, I'm about to buy a Garmin Geko; is the mounting location suceptable to rf interference from the boat's electronics ? Thanks.

Tony
" Tune for Maximum Smoke"
Old 09-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Wave blaster

Another good motor option that I am considering is a graunper 600 bb race 8.4 They sell those at offshoreelectrics. I don't have time for running my boat right now... school[:@] I can't because I still find out what is wrong with my radio controller. Right now everything is tore apart. - Can't find the right word for tore.... Oh well. This is a great thread. Matt
Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Wheelnut

WA, as for soldering irons the one I have is the Hakko 936 soldering station it came with a 907 iron. It is very nice and you don't have to worry about walking away and burning up the iron. It has a good theromostat. It ranges from 200 to 480 degrees F. http://www.electrowisehsv.com has it for $93.77 plus shipping. This is the station that all the racers in the local club are using.

I believe the Titan will work with the stock speed control and you shouldn't neet a stronger servo. The boat won't be that fast. I am in the process of installing my new Trinity Monster Maxx Wilds along with my new turn fins and prop & Shaft upgrade in my Villain EX. When I am finished with that I will put one of the Titans in the SW26. I will run both of them this weekend, weather permitting, and let you know how both of them do. I will only be able to guess the speed. I can't afford one of those gps units yet. All my money has been going to upgrades. Wish me luck. Ill be testing 2 new setups this weekend.

Oh yeah I like Waveblasters idea about the 600 bb, i think a 700 would be even better. I really would like Steve's input on this, as he sells both motors offshoreelectrics.com and knows alot about them.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Winged Avenger

All,

Wow...I cannot beleive how much input I have received from all of you. I am impressed on all of your knowledge and
highly appreciate your input.

Okay GRK65. I am anxious to see how the SW26 does with this other motor. Also i would love to hear what Steve has to say
on the other motor being sold on Ebay for $9. I hope that this not a plug to sell something that it is not what he is saying it
is. This is a big no,no!!!! Good thing is that we have enough experienced people who would eventually expose him if not
at least let us know what the gig is. I had difficulty finding the specifics on the Johnson motor when I searched Yahoo.
Who makes them ? Are they for real ??? Also I need some tips on what the different numbers mean on the motors (Ie: 550, 600,700 , 950). I hopefully will have a chance to run the SW26 if I get the batteries soldered with the deans plugs.
I too will report on my findings. Hopefully all good...remember this boat did not come with the stock motor but, with an Orion
truck motor. Don't know if this is good or not. We shall see. Anybody have any Ideas why the previous owner would have done
so. I sure could not get him to advise me . Also I bought a battery 7.2V 3000 NIHM High Voltage Battery. What can you tell me about
this. i bought this cheap for $7.00 on EBay.

Okay thats it for now...

Hope the weather holds up for all you boaters.

Regards for now,

Winged Avenger
Old 09-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Wheelnut

The batteries are very important. Remember, you usually get what you pay for. You may have a good deal and you may have gotten some dead batteries. As far as batteries go, you need a good charger that will tell you the mili amps that the battery will hold. Mili amps is the storage capacity of the battery. Meaning you will get a much longer run time out of 3300mah than you will a 1500mah pack. I have the Duratrax Ice charger and I love it. But it needs a 12V battery supply. It is not a charger you can plug into a 115V ac outlet. I bought a 20amp continous 12V power supply from Radio shack for $99.00. Yes getting into electrics is expensive. No way around it. For some quality batteries at a real good price you can go to cheapbatterypacks.com. I have bought several 3300mah 6 and 7 cell packs from them. And have real good results. As for why the guy sold the boat on ebay. I hate to say it but most of the time they sell it cause they find something better they want. About that motor he put in it, how many turns is it?? It seams that low turn motors do not work well on direct drives. I learned a little more about boats, like how fast surface drives are, I bought a new boat cause I do not have the time and patience it will take to get the SW26 to 25 to 30 mph. And who knows, at that speed the SW26 might not handle very well. Remember it wasn't designed to go that fast.. But I kept my SW26 to tinker with. Also I have a 5 year old son and some day I can let him play with it. However I am sure the boat will go fast enough to have alot of fun. All we have to do is find the right combination of drive setup. Motor, prop, direct drive or gear reduction. My Villain EX has gear reduction and runs alot faster stock than my SW26 did. Just some food for thought.

One more idea that would be really fun to hear about is for someone to put a nitro engine in the SW26. The SW36 has a Water-cooled Dynamite .32 Marine engine w/ pull-start. That would of course be too big for the SW26. Maybe something like a water cooled OS.15 Anybody up for the game??? First is the floor of the boat would have to be reinforced with fiberflass. The very thin ABS hull on the SW26 would probably melt.
I probably won't get any takers on that bet. That would also be alot of work. And you may wind up sinking or ruining a nitro engine.

Just some encouragement: I heard of a guy that was a friend of a friend at the local hobby shop in Atlanta GA that put a small nitro engine in a Losi Mini T. He sent Losi pictures of it and they asked him to send them the Mini T and said they could not promise he would get it back. He told them to keep the picturs and forget it. Yep you heard right. For some people it is all about the challenge of what you can do.

After alot of thought, my final guess is that the fastest the SW26 will go without getting too unstable would be about 20 to 22mph. and that goes for turns also. Would anyone like to dispute that? I speak for every SW26 owner when I say "Prove me wrong"
Old 09-15-2005, 10:30 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

pagemaster,
I just looked it up on ebay, here is the link'
Don

http://cgi.ebay.com/550-MOTOR-JOHNSO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Wheelnut

I looked at the motor on ebay, and this guy has too many negative feedbacks for me. Not going to get into a discussion about ebay here, I just don't buy from people with negative feed back. Too risky, I have been burned before by people doing this as a second income and do not know the meaning of customer support, and half the time they are selling something they don't have in stock in the first place. When it comes to something like this I would rather trust the pros at a real rc store like Offshoreelectrics.com

WA, you still there? Did you get those deans plugs soldered yet? I finished the motor and prop upgrade to the Villain EX today. By the way, the props look MEAN!! In my opinion, it was not an easy job. I will put the Titan in the SW26 in the morning and go test both of them. I will post the results tommorow night. Also I ordered Water cooling jackets from Offshoreelectrics yesterday, I know these Trinity Monster Maxx Wild motors will run hotter and I have heard the water cooling jackets work better. I will post results of that also. Since I do not have the water cooling jackets yet, I put the cooling coils on for now. I will use my temp gun tommorow to measure the temp of the motor after a 7 minute run and I will repeat the process when I get the cooling jackets and post and compare the results.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Winged Avenger

GRK65,

yes Iam still on this. I am going to go get the deans plugs soldered today. ARRGGHH I am annoyed at having to wait
but, cash does not allow me to be frivolous. So I have to be very patient. I am excited to hear about how everything went
and how both boats did. So dont' hesistate to write when you get the chance

Okay more to come later .... I will post tonight on what happened with www.myxtremerc.com. These are the people whom are going
to do the job!!!

I may be selling my Sony PSP to raise money for either a new boat or mods that I can do on The SW26. More on that later..

Okay hasta la vista for now mates,

Winged Avenger
Old 09-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Winged Avenger

GRK65,

Well I am sidelined for now. i went to my RC store as stated before in the my last thread to get the deans plugs
soldered and I got their too late. So they have my stuff and will probably get it done during the week. ARRGGHH. They were
getting ready for races and told me they could not do it at the moment. Very dissapointing.

So how did the testing go on both boats ??? Anxious to hear how it went. Okay by for now...let me know.

Winged Avenger.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Wheelnut

Well for now the SW26 is running faster than the Villain EX. I received the new Trinity Monster Maxx Wild motors and prop and shaft upgrade and turn fins. I pulled the stock Titans out of the Villain and put one of them in the SW26 and I put the stock prop back on the SW26 couse it is bigger than the one I had on it and I knew the Titan had more torque that the previous motor I had in it. I put all the upgrades on the Villain, chagred two 6 cell 3300mah packs and two 7 cell 3300mah packs and headed to the local pond. First the Villain EX was shockingly slow. Slower than stock by like 5mph. I was sutnned. I expected alot more out of a $100.00 upgrade. Well not to miss some fun, I put the SW26 in the water and it was pretty fast, about 5 or 6mph faster than stock. I would say about 20mph. I know the SW26 can go alot faster than that cause it was not even starting to get squirrely. Meaning it wasn't near losing controll. I have posted a question on Offshoreelectrics.com to see what the guys there think. I wanted to know if the SW26 would run better and faster with a 600bb or a 700bb. I am awaiting replies. I think I will try to find the biggest prop I can find for the 1/8" shaft and put the 600bb race motor and try that. Probably on 8 cells. I will split the 8 cells into two 4 cell packs and mount one on each side of the motor. That should be interesting.
As for the Villain EX, after talking to Steve at Offshoreelectrics I took the turn fins off and headed back to the pond. It was deffinetly faster but still seemed to be a little slower than stock. I put the 7 cell packs in the Villain and now it is maybe 1mph faster than stock. Big dissapointment. I am now waiting to hear back from Steve to see what else it can be. I think I will try the stock props next and see how that goes.
Anybody want to donate a 600bb race motor to fund the project? I will return it after two runs, one run with one prop and another run with another prop. Don't hurt to ask. If not I will try it when I get the Villain running good and I save up some more money. I have too much money in the Villain to let it sit right now. I want it to fly like they said it would with the upgrade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.