Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Villian EX bad day on the Pond!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Villian EX bad day on the Pond!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
pls02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Villian EX bad day on the Pond!

Running my Villian with 19T Monster motors, 48 mm carbon props, water cooled with 14T pinion gears. Just put in my brand new cycled Ib3800 6cell batteries and running fine for a while. I was getting good speed and about 9 minute run time, then the boat really starts accelerating, but still very controllable. After the batteries dump I brought the boat in and opened the hull only to find that one of the batteries had self destructed and melted a hole about the size of a quarter in the inner hull. Let it all cool and put in another set of Ib3800's for a system check and the boat ran fine for about 5 minutes and the the starboard motor would only work intermitantly. I brought it back to the barn and took the motor out, finding that the brushed were almost all used up, while the port motor is still fine.

My questions are:

A. what to plug the hole with in the inner hull.

B. the runaway battery(believe it got wet and shorted) may have trashed the motor. Will new brushes help, or should I cut the comm and start over?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Rambo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Villian EX bad day on the Pond!

I Don't think you'r battery trashed you'r motor but i would tend to believe the opposite.Change BOTH motors and proceed with caution.BTW i would cut some white plastic from a bleach jug and clear silicone it on.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:20 AM
pls02

That could be the case, but this was the second set of batteries I ran that day. I let the motors cool down till they were both in the 80-90 degree area (have a thermal temp gauge). The first set of batteries are a set of Ib3000 which ran fine for approx 9 minutes. Maybe I didn't let the motors cool to ambient temp before running them again, or the motor that fried the battery was just bad. That is a good idea to use a piece of bleach jug and silicon it in.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Definitely cut the com and try that motor again, there is no way the motor was bad and ruined one cell, But I would suggest using hard brushes and extra heavy springs on both motors. And I would suggest cutting the com on both motors to keep them tuned as close to each other as possible.
It is possible that something got on the prop and caused one motor to over heat, I have got stuff cought on my prop before and it come loose before I could get the boat in to see what it was.
Rambo, Great Idea for the patch.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:37 AM
rooski

What type of connectors did you have on the batts?

Also, IMO...the best thing to patch your hole is a "beware of dog" sign (or the like) you can get at Home Depot or Lowes for a few $'s. Cut out an appropriate size piece with sharp scissors and use ABS glue (otherwise known as PVC glue) to secure it.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
pls02

I have the original battery connectors and yes, will be moving everything over to Deans this week. Great ideas on patching the inner hull, the one issue is that it is in the corner of the battery area on the Villain. So if you were looking from the rear of the the boat, the left rear corner right in front of the port motor. Thanks for the info, great ideas.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Daof6gr8kidz

I am new to boats and have a villian IV, from what I have read and learned from others is that if you change the motor to less turns than stock, to drop the pinion from 14teeth to 12 teeth. Check motor/battery temp and if ok, move to 13t and so on. It sounds to me like the 19 turn motors and after market props pulled to many amps with the 14 tooth pinions. I could be all wet but that is my understanding. Too many amps will melt the batteries, burn the brushes and destroy the speed control eventually.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Wheelnut

Daof6gr8kidz,
You have learned well grasshopper But he should also make sure he uses Hard brushes and extra heavy springs, this will help cut down on the heat problem and wear.[8D]
Old 03-23-2006, 07:03 AM
pls02

That is correct, I was using the stock 14T pinion. I ran it with the first set of batteries with no heating problems. The next set just drew to many amps and am switching 12T or 13T gears. I have tried 51mm props with a 10T pinion and the batteries were warm, but also no heating problems. I guess it all finally caught up with me and experimenting with setups. I have a new set of motors coming and will change out the brushes and springs before running (and do a little brush and comm breakin before also). I took the offending motor apart and it was clogged with brush dust. I was really amazed at how easy it is to take them apart then clean and lube. Thanks again for all the inputs.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Wheelnut

What motors do you have on the way? Did you order hard brushes and extra heavy srpings?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 PM
pls02

I have another set of MM 19T motors. I have hard brushes and have a set of heavy duty springs that Team Trinity recommended. I will break them in first before running the motors in the boat, don't need another expensive lesson. Will have to find someone to cut the comms for the old motors or maybe learn how to myself, that is the great thing with this hobby, not brain surgery, but challenging enough to keep the interest up on how parts work and how to fix them.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Wheelnut

Go to the LHS and see if they will cut the coms for you, for a small price. If they won't or can't then send them to me and I will cut them for you for free. Just send $5.00 with it for shipping because I will ship it back to you UPS, so there will be a solid tracking number. It only takes about 15 min per motor, because I do it carefully and right [8D]and thats the least I can do for a fellow hobbiest.
Or do a search on E-Bay for com lathe, I bought mine for $50.00, came with a slave motor and battery, I don't use it that often, but when I do it is very handy.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
pls02

Thanks for the offer and may take you up on it if I cannot get them cut at my LHS. I have been looking at lathes and will keep my eyes open for a decent used one.