Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

question about electric setup

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

question about electric setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Believe It
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about electric setup

ok... so i mainly play with nitro boats, but have a old Kyosho Heatwave hull that im going to put twin outboards on (either the EP1's or GTX650's) for a fun cruiser. My question is.... am i going to need to run two ESC's? If so or not, what ESC's should i look into? What kind of battery setup should i run to power both motors?

I know absolutely nothing about electric setups, so i need all the help i can get. thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:33 AM
jkotlanger

Default RE: question about electric setup

For what my advice is worth, I am mounting 3 graupner speed 600 bb motors in my 48 inch x 12 inch PT boat. I have separate waterproof speed controls for each motor that have 100 amp forward continuous current capability and 60 amp reverse continuous current capability. (purchased them from Ebay for $20.00 per ESc. Bought 20 to get the bulk price. I want to build a lot more boats.) I have purchased three 10 DCell battery packs that are 12V10AmH to run the boat (very big expense $119 each). Should give me an hour run time at full throttle the three weigh about 10lbs total, but I need the weight to keep the front of the boat at a reasonable angle when on plane at full throttle. My stuffing boxes and shafts are Roboesch products. Shaft size is .04 mm designed for 25000 RPM. The props are also Roboesch 45 mm three bladed left hand props. I'm in the process of mounting the shafts in the boat right now and suspect that it will be very fast for a military type boat. I selected the ESC size because the motors are rated for 30 amps continuous current each and I didn't want power spikes to fry the battery or the ESC. I will still have to run fuses for each motor. I am using a receiver and transmitter from Polk Hobbies
Old 09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Believe It
Banned

wow $120 just for the battery packs... im only looking to get like 15 min of runtime or so with this boat. Id like to keep the building cost down to around $250 or so (figure its gonna be $150 or so for the motors, and i already have the boat & radio...so just need ESC's and battery packs).
Old 09-18-2006, 12:10 PM
jkotlanger

I was going for run time because the lake is about 3 miles long and I wanted to make sure that I could get the boat back without having to use a crash boat to retrieve it. There are lots of good batteries around. I was limited because my system is for 12 volts so I was stuck with lead acid gell cells (3.5 - 5 lbs each) or NmH D cells packs ( 2.5 lbs with high discharge rate). I chose the NmH packs because I budgeted about $1K to build this boat. I have just complete building the hull and powering it for about $500. The rest is for building and powering the torpedos, roll off racks, and bb cannons in a manner which looks scale. I suspect that I will be doing my water trials in about 3 weeks. It will take me into the spring to finish the other features but it is a lot of fun especially when the boat looks like and acts like the real thing. I have cooling coils installed on the motors, speed controls, and battery packs.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Believe It

ok... so i mainly play with nitro boats, but have a old Kyosho Heatwave hull that im going to put twin outboards on (either the EP1's or GTX650's) for a fun cruiser. My question is.... am i going to need to run two ESC's? If so or not, what ESC's should i look into? What kind of battery setup should i run to power both motors?
For the GTX650's I would run a 6 or 7-cell battery. Any brushed electric motors can be paired to one brushed ESC. Two brushless motors would need their own individual brushless ESC. Just make sure the ESC can handle 2 times the current draw of one motor.

Ryan

Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

ORIGINAL: Believe It

For the GTX650's I would run a 6 or 7-cell battery. Any brushed electric motors can be paired to one brushed ESC. Two brushless motors would need their own individual brushless ESC. Just make sure the ESC can handle 2 times the current draw of one motor.

Ryan

yeah i plan to stick with brushed stuff. Im not looking for any kind of outrageous speeds... just something to play with when the fast boat is resting.

So should i run 6/7 cell packs for each motor? What ESC would you recommend that will handle 40 or so amps. What kind of speeds do you think id reach on a 31" Cat with two GTX650's?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
CadillacDTS2001

mabey like 24-30 mph , i think u should beable to run atleast 10 cells per motor there 650 and i have put 12 cells on my 550 so there is no reason why the 650 cant. its the drive that you have to watch out for
i would run 20 cells for speed and 10 cells for each motor , but that will be costly.
but have fun
Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, my bad.

Anywhere from 7.2v-14.4v

Ryan
Old 09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
CadillacDTS2001