Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Brushless Profisherman project going

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Brushless Profisherman project going

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Profisherman project going

I had this idea a while back but before I was going to put a 400 brushless motor in the outboard. This time, I just got finished stripping out my old grey profisherman and putting all the gear in the red one that great planes shipped me for free So instead of throwing the old grey hull away and since I have a 540 Feigao brushless motor laying around, I thought I'd try something that I don't think has been done yet. I am going to install a surface drive for it and go from there. I like the red alot better anyway. When I bought mine it was on sale and the only color that the LHS had.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57742.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	588377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99358.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	588378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12646.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	588379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34363.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	588380  
Old 01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Wheelnut

Default RE: Brushless Profisherman project going

First I need help positioning the motor. Where should it be? I hope I don't have to cut the middle section out because then I wll need to find a way to seal the hatch again and I'm not really into fabing lexan.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:22 PM
CadillacDTS2001

put it near the transom
And to keep the scale look of the boat . use the out drive as a steerable out drive.
like where the prop is . drill it out all the way there and put a brass tube of the rite size and then the motor shaft and coupler . and no one will be the wizer.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Orange Crush

...or just send me the outboard for my new "bouy barge" project.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Wheelnut

They sent me the red hull not the motor. The motor off the grey one is on the red one now and going to stay there
So lets start over. You said put it near the transom right? Where should the balance point be? and is that with batteries? I would guess so. With that said, if that is so then The placement of the motor is not so crucial right? because I can use the placement of the batteries to shift the balancing point right?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

They sent me the red hull not the motor. The motor off the grey one is on the red one now and going to stay there
So lets start over. You said put it near the transom right? Where should the balance point be? and is that with batteries? I would guess so. With that said, if that is so then The placement of the motor is not so crucial right? because I can use the placement of the batteries to shift the balancing point right?
the placement of the motor isn't that critical . because you can off set it with the weight of the battery
But think of it this way . where is the stock motor? hanging over the transom.
so put it far back and the battery in the stock position. and it will be set up just like it was stock with the motor wight near the transom and the battery at the front
Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Wheelnut

Cool, thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I will get it started.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
GregS

What about getting another outboard unit and using that. It would be a lot simpler than trying to convert it to an inboard and would look realistic and still be a "bass boat". If you had to have it set up as a surface drive it is possible to raise the motor by modifying the mount.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: GregS

What about getting another outboard unit and using that. It would be a lot simpler than trying to convert it to an inboard and would look realistic and still be a "bass boat". If you had to have it set up as a surface drive it is possible to raise the motor by modifying the mount.
it wouldn't be that much simple. the other OB of that size wont handle the power and the max sized prop you can put on the OB is was to small for the BL any way.
Also there are inboard bass boats to .
i have seen one with a merc 525 at 110 mph.
as a matter a fact i raced it later that day.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks Greg, but thats not really what I was looking for. I am doing this just to see how it turns out as a inboard surface drive. After all I was going to throw the hull away, this is the one I crashed into a wall and could not repair it to my own liking.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Thanks Greg, but thats not really what I was looking for. I am doing this just to see how it turns out as a inboard surface drive. After all I was going to throw the hull away, this is the one I crashed into a wall and could not repair it to my own liking.
this hull might end up like you sun storm or what ever it was called . *bouncy bounce*[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-02-2007, 04:10 PM
GregS

Wheelnut: Fair enough. I figured the inboard conversion was likely a part of your project in itself.

EyeKandy: I'm not sure how familiar you are with the outboard but its durability should not be an issue and there should be no reasonable limit to the power it can handle. The gears and shafts are solid metal (not plastic) and should be able to withstand a lot more torque than a flexshaft. A 35 mm prop is about the largest that can be used and the largest motor that will fit is 600 size. One day when I have the time and money I may put a brushless in mine.

Didn't know there were non-outboard bass boats but I believe you. Is the one you mention a stern drive?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:42 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: GregS

Wheelnut: Fair enough. I figured the inboard conversion was likely a part of your project in itself.

EyeKandy: I'm not sure how familiar you are with the outboard but its durability should not be an issue and there should be no reasonable limit to the power it can handle. The gears and shafts are solid metal (not plastic) and should be able to withstand a lot more torque than a flexshaft. A 35 mm prop is about the largest that can be used and the largest motor that will fit is 600 size. One day when I have the time and money I may put a brushless in mine.

Didn't know there were non-outboard bass boats but I believe you. Is the one you mention a stern drive?
hey yeah. the prop for the brushless motor would be about 40 mm so that won't work
the bass boat was a nitro bass boat conversion one off.
factory built .
it has a 525 and a bravo one XR sport drive.
pretty quick considering that a 300 on the same boat does about 90 mph.
it ran fast . crazy acceleration. my cat does 0-100mph in 12 seconds and i almost lost to him. ALMOST. but then i just flew bye him. Once he hit max rpm i still had 2100 rpm more to put out.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: eyekandyboats.inc

this hull might end up like you sun storm or what ever it was called . *bouncy bounce*[sm=drowning.gif]
I hope not and I have a feeling its not, because the bottom is not round like the Sunstorm was. the profisherman has a completely different hull with a good flat spot in the rear of the hull.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. It will take me a couple of days to get the drive set up. I'm in the middle of cutting a shaft now.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted
Old 01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

One thing, if you use the outboard for vector steering, it looks like it would have to be modified due to the position of the motor on the transom. It seems like its about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch below the bottom of the hull. The shaft would have a wicked angle being the motor will be set by the transom(which I completely agree with). Cutting the lower unit off the outboard would fix this, it wouldn't look real at all out of the water, but would look fine racing around. Also doing it that way, you could put the shaft in at the optimum angle. At the same time, maybe the motor will be a pain and perhaps buying a dummy motor later on would be a better idea.... I'll keep thinking
he doesn't have a out board ?
and vector steering ? there is only one motor on the boat
Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted
Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

bah, for some reason I thought someone said something about making the outboard a dummy to look scale, guess I read it wrong, and I guess I used the wrong terminology, I meant vector as in a villain IV type drive.... get me. Obviously I realize that is not a great setup....since a rudder is better, got confused.
lol
the villian isn't vector .
it is a steerable out drive
Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Wheelnut

FYI, as I am sure most of you know but just for the record, I will be installing a servo controlled rudder.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
CadillacDTS2001

any progress on it yet .
picture picture pictures!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Wheelnut

Sorry, I was watching Future Weapons. Really cool stuff.

Anyway. I wanted to test the red stock one since I just put it back together and I just ruined the stock esc that came with it by accidentaly putting the connector from the esc into the receiver backwards. Now it only works in reverse and I only get about half throttle. So even if I switched the wires to have forward only I still would only have half throttle. So I will need a cheap esc for the stock boat now which by the way is running a 19 turn quad motor.

I will get back on the brushless surface drive conversion on the grey one tomorrow night with Pictures.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Wheelnut

OK, finally got the motor mounted in the boat. I just epoxied the motor mount in to keep it simple and quick. After all, I won't be keeping this boat for long, its just for a test.
Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Name:	Lj21968.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	592014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75857.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	592015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89309.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	592016  
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
CadillacDTS2001

cool cool. i like it simple and easy to remember
Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Wheelnut

Ok, got some more done. The rudder assy is on and the servo is mounted with double sided tape and the connector rod is installed. the new antenna is mounted on. I just drilled a hole and siliconed it in.
Quick and dirty, GET ER DONE

Name:	Rp42968.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	592168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40507.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	592169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81474.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	592170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65812.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	592171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43825.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	592172  
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Wheelnut

Tomorrow will be the test with video. All I need to do now is lay down some velcro tape to hold the battery in place. I am going to start with a 6 cell pack and see how it goes. If it runs good I will put in a 7 cell and see how that pushes it
Someone remind me how to set up my Garmin Forerunner 201 to read max speed. I can't find the book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.