Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Driveline thrust bearing.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Driveline thrust bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Fast Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline thrust bearing.

Just got a couple Supervee 27's. Is it worth while to install a thrust bearing between the flex shaft coupler and motor housing to take the side load off the motor bearings and make them last longer? Is this only needed on more powerfull boats?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Driveline thrust bearing.

A thrust bearing is always a good idea, motor bearings are not designed for axial loads. All my boats have them, either at the motor or at the strut. You will usually see a small speed increase with the bearings, and almost always see lower motor temps and slightly longer run times.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Blackjack52

That's a good question. I've asked before also but never got a good response. I could understand having to use one if the drive dog was planted against the strut (like some other drive systems), but on the SV, if you have it setup correctly at the strut, you should have about 1/8" (or at least the dia of the flex shaft) space b/w the dirve dog and strut. This allows the flex shaft to "spin up" and gives space for the applied tension to the flex shaft. No real reason for the added drag or weight there.

At the motor. Maybe here, but again, no loads are present that aren't already covered by the bearing in the front of the can. Maybe post the question here for more visibility:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4752309
Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Fast Guy

ORIGINAL: Got RPM

A thrust bearing is always a good idea, motor bearings are not designed for axial loads. All my boats have them, either at the motor or at the strut. You will usually see a small speed increase with the bearings, and almost always see lower motor temps and slightly longer run times.

Thanks for the reply Got RPM. I am new to RC boats and have no idea how much forward thrust the drive line is exposed to. I'm assuming it would be considerable on a boat that can acheive 40+ mph. I do know that on RC cars and trucks the bearings can wear out fast enough dealing with the loads they were designed for let alone applying a extreme axial load that they can't handle. Thrust bearings aren't that expensive so I will try one. Is it best at the motor or strut? On the SuperVee the motor looks like the best location.