Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DX2 in Supervee 27

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Spektrum DX2 in Supervee 27

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Orange Crush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX2 in Supervee 27

Blackjack, I know you run one. Can you post some pics of you antenna routing inside and outside? How much antenna do you have vertically outside the hull? I may try mine this coming weekend.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Orange Crush

Default RE: Spektrum DX2 in Supervee 27

HELLO!!!!!!!! BJ.. "WAKE UP!!!"
Old 02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
CadillacDTS2001

lol BJ !!!!!!
Any how. usually you need the antenna out side the hull for the best reception.
I know the spectrum receivers have a short ant. so mount them on the underside of the desk so that you can get as much out as possible.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Blackjack52

Ddue. Got my pian med rferseh in. All is good.

Fsirt pic is how I hvae the mian atnnena aglned up wehn it eixts the rdaio box (wihch I ralely need to get rid of).
You can also see how the micro antenna sits.
I did this to give the antenna as much exposure as possible. It's also wise to do this with any surface antenna. Has to do with the resonant freq and all that happy electron stuff.

Next pic is the radio sitting in the box.

Next pic is that purty m1343/3 compared to the x440/3.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82309.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	630704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60350.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	630705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21742.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	630706  
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Blackjack52

Which DX did you get? Hopefully the DX3 since it has more model mem.

No problems using this system as you already know. The best feature is the binding freq and no boards or interference/glitching.
Adding the micro antenna wasn't really needed, but I'm so use to using it with my helis, I had to add it to the boat. But it really isn't needed, as Klanderman already pointed out. Just make sure to add a nice 90deg upward piece of antenna as soon as you come out of the radio box.
If you got the DX3, you'll love having the extra rcvr, since most of them come with 2 rcvrs. And the ability (with DX2 also) of chosing how you want the failsafe to position the throttle and servo/s if you lose signal.
I would recommend installing the high torque servo. Since the system comes with a standard and high torque. It's nice having the extra grunt behind the rudder.
I hold the xmtr at a 45deg, so I recommend using the antenna stop built in to the xmtr to position your pistol antenna at 45deg also. This way you have an antenna pointing 90deg up.

I'm really considering adding the DX6 (since I already have it) into the boat. Two freqs and two seperate antennas with that rcvr. Gotta love redundancy. In the real chopper world we called it "dual redundancy". ha.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

everytime I run a spektrum reciever in a boat of mine, I run out of range after about 200 feet [:@] I have the pro version and standard version RX's. My TX unit is a Pro. Did the same thing when I used a DX2 Tx.

I got a FM modual for my M11 and a couple of Novak XXL Rx's and all is good.

Try for some range. I wanna see if anyone else has to row out to get there SV27
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Orange Crush

If I'm understanding you correctly, your "micro antenna" is the only thing outside of the hull...right? Your antenna lead is connected to it on the inside....right? I have a DX2 w/a SR3000 Rx. The antenna is maybe 4-6 inches long. It's in our truck and I did not remove it last night to measure it exactly, but if I mount it in the radio box like the current Rx then I doubt I could get much, if any of it outside the hull...at least if going through the transom like I plan. I was thinking along the lines of what Taylor mentioned. Place the Rx back against the transom...in a balloon. But that would lead to more work. I'd be removing the enitre radiobox then.

I wonder if you could mount a shortened version of the stock antenna tube and mount it in the stock location on top of the radio box and cut it to where it did NOT come out of the top of the hatch and run the antenna wire through it leaving the enitre thing vertical but yet under the hatch entirely...hmmm..

ORIGINAL: Blackjack52

Ddue. Got my pian med rferseh in. All is good.

Fsirt pic is how I hvae the mian atnnena aglned up wehn it eixts the rdaio box (wihch I ralely need to get rid of).
You can also see how the micro antenna sits.
I did this to give the antenna as much exposure as possible. It's also wise to do this with any surface antenna. Has to do with the resonant freq and all that happy electron stuff.

Next pic is the radio sitting in the box.

Next pic is that purty m1343/3 compared to the x440/3.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Orange Crush

That's what I fearing, as well. At least you can bind in a failsafe program. How are you routing your antenna. I keep reading/hearing that is the key.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Blackjack52

True, the 3000 series antenna is short (8.5"). The micro antenna I use came with an extension with disconnect, which I soldered to the DX rcvr antenna. I could always disconnect it completely and see how that affects range. I did a range check last week (on ground) out to about 600' (ran out of space). I know, on the water is where all the skepticism is. All I know is she works on a IMPBA oval course just fine. The operator tower where everyone controls their boats is about 15' above the ground, centered on the course, and maybe 50' from the actual course.

I do know from reading all the other forums that sailboaters use the DX6 or DX7 with no problems. Those rcvrs (as previously mentioned) have a 90deg split antenna system, which I know has to offer better signal processing.

Maybe if I get some time to do a swap I can test that out also, to see if there's any difference. This in no way changes the current designation from MPT to MRP!

I don't think there will be a difference b/w having the antenna sticking up in the hull at 90deg (which is a must) and having an external antenna. Radio waves permeate fiberglass.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Orange Crush

Well I'll probably test the "hidden" antenna thing this weekend and hopefully NOT perpetuate the MCP designation.... Pray for me..I'm goin' in!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
mharvey1

I have a DX3 in an SV and micro hydro with no range or glitch issues. For the SV, I ran the antenna about 3/4" out the top of the radio box - just enough to cap it off with a standard tube cap. Filled and finished the factory hole in the hatch now the antenna is fully enclosed in the hull with no problems. Fiberglass should not interfere with a 25MZ signal.

Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Orange Crush

That's exactly the setup I am wanting to try. Thanks for the heads up. I think I try that this weekend.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Blackjack52

Sounds like we have our main rcvr antenna setup the same. That's probably the key to the hole thing. Having the antenna leave the rcvr at a straight-up positiion.

Klanderman, how is your antenna angle when it leaves the rcvr?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Orange Crush

Well, I'm set for a test. I yanked the Futaba FM (which worked absolutley fine) and installed the Spektrum SR3000 reciever in the stock location. I velcroed it to the side of the radio box in the port side front corner with the antenna lead exit vertically. I then used an abrevaited antenna tube about 1" tall mounted in the stock location on top of the radio box and after threading the short Spektrum antenna I have about 2.5" of "loose" antenna lead. The hole in the top of the canopy is temporarily taped in case i have to change it back on the fly this weekend.

So let's here it... Opinions.... Is it going to work?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Blackjack52

Sounds like you're all set. MRP!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Orange Crush

I just hope it stays MRP and not MCP....
Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Blackjack52

I do too. If not, then there's going to be all kinds of debate!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Orange Crush

It "not", I would be more inclined to condem my setup before the system. "Antenna under glass/driving from ground level".... I'm gettin' skeered!

I do have the failsafe programmed to no throttle and straight rudder and we'll be in a bayou that we can easliy effect rescue all the way accross. Shouldn't get far enough away to not be able to regain contact, anyway.

I used my truck to "bind" the reciever and set the failsafe. I can turn the wheels one way on the truck and throtlle it up slightly and cut the Tx off and it centers the wheels and cuts the motor. Sound good? It does have a 1-2 second delay before this takes place, however...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Blackjack52

Good failsafe setting. It wouldn't be good to lose signal at 40mph and cut THR and have rudder turn. Then MCP would be applicable.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Orange Crush

The Spektrum test went off with out a "glitch" this weekend. Ran at two different venues with no external antenna and no problems other than the fact that the rescue line from the rescue boat now has nothing to snag went the boat is upside down..not that I ever flip my boat.......
Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Blackjack52

Glad to hear MRP. What kind of range did you pursue?

Isn't it nice to not have to worry about freakin freqs? Welcome to the "other" side. Guess I can yank that micro now. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Orange Crush

I was pretty cautious about the range this weekend. I doubt I ventured out past the 300' mark. Just remember the rescue boat method is useless if you flip due to not having anything for the line to snag when the hardware is pointing to the sky.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:05 PM
paulleonard

Hey guys,...has anyone else had any problems with the spektrum DX3 radio system?...

Here is my situation..

When I plug in the batteries..I get one beep, pull the trigger..no beeps..push the trigger forward...wolah she responds..

Yes iv'e tried reversing the TH ...no good.. same result..

any ideas?
Old 04-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Blackjack52

Try reversing any 2 wires on the motor. Although I'm surprised the THR rev didn't do it.

Also, please let us know how she rides.......range......any cut-offs......etc. Thanks and welcome to the pack.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM
paulleonard

I tried that already....the boat just ran backwards.....This is the senerio....When I Get my First "Beep" from the ESC...and pull the trigger (back) or to accelerate...I Get no Response or the "Five Beeps that follow....

Unless I hold the trigger for 10 seconds or more then release...Weird.....

Thanks for the input....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.