Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Water Cooled ESC. I need you boat guys help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Water Cooled ESC. I need you boat guys help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Gigaah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Cooled ESC. I need you boat guys help

I'm fitting a water jacked to my Car motor. I have a marine ESC that is also hooked up for water cooling. I have a minature radiator and the tubing required. I picked up this stuff by chance at a garage sale for next to nothing, Then I had the parts sitting on the table and thought to myself. Hey! why not water cool your Car! its worth a shot I guess.

Now problem here is I need a really small water pump. From what I gather you guys just scoop the water up as you drive along. I thought perhaps though someone might know where I could get a small light water pump to run my rig.
My friends and I Drag race our RC10B3s. We've established a 540 motor limit. Our drag is actually a very long strip so if I can keep my motor cooler I should be able to push more from it and keep it running more efficiently.

If you guys have any ideas that would be great!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Default RE: Water Cooled ESC. I need you boat guys help

stock 540's can run very hot with out any thing happening to it.
if you drag then weight is everything. i wouldn't even do it.
just air cool it.
air cooling if more efficient then water on a esc any day of the week in the right application.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Easy rider

Hi,

This is my thread on this forum ( car section ) and this is exactly what you are looking for.

The TCS !!

Enjoy : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...tm.htm#5375253
Old 05-03-2007, 05:33 PM
CadillacDTS2001

interesting.
very cool as well.
but pointless in my mind.
but VERY cool
Old 05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: Taylor Shaw

interesting.
very cool as well.
but pointless in my mind.
but VERY cool
No offence meant here but someone should say something. I figured out that you really like this forum Taylor ( since you have a say in every thread posted and probably spend way to much of your prescious time here ) but personally - if I were you - I would post some more meaningfull things. People use this forum for all kinds of stuff not only for racing or being the fastest. It's also used to show people what's possible and what can be done. This thread is a good example of that. It's innovative in every single aspect of RC. Yes it's cool but it's not pointless at all , certainly not to a lot of us so please respect that.

Again , no offence but that's how I feel about pointless posts.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
CadillacDTS2001

you can feel that. i have no problem with that.
don't you think. . . if you were drag racing and you had water and all that extra hardware in there that is would weigh it down.
i mean air cooling should be good enough. i'm not saying that your water cooling thing is dumb. no its a great idea. i mean though if all of a sudden some one is having to water cool a car and all these years there hasn't been a problem.
then there must be something whacked up. like if you have the need for water cooling then something is wrong. i had a car with a lehner 3600 and a boat esc i ran it on 10 cells in a 6 cell street car and every time i brought it back the motor was barely warn at all.

mods you may want to move this to a car forum.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Gigaah

That looks pretty neat. HOWEVER. I am certainly not looking to spend that much cash. I was hoping to find a really smater water pump. I mean I can make one, but I'd prefer to buy one because I'm somewhat lazy. LoL

The jury is out as for if the cooling is beneficial. Like I said the "drag race" is actually like a drag marathon. Its a really long straight. If I could the motor sufficiently "cooler enough" lol...then it may provide enough extra power to make up for a little extra weight...mind you not too much extra. shrug. either way it is an interesting project.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: Gigaah

That looks pretty neat. HOWEVER. I am certainly not looking to spend that much cash. I was hoping to find a really smater water pump. I mean I can make one, but I'd prefer to buy one because I'm somewhat lazy. LoL

The jury is out as for if the cooling is beneficial. Like I said the "drag race" is actually like a drag marathon. Its a really long straight. If I could the motor sufficiently "cooler enough" lol...then it may provide enough extra power to make up for a little extra weight...mind you not too much extra. shrug. either way it is an interesting project.
It seems like all you need is the pump wich isn't expensive at all since some people bought the whole system for 50$. The pump is available seperately at the TCS website. And it is very efficient in cooling the motor. It runs very cool infact. I even use a feigao cooling jacket on it right now and it works just fine.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

Hi,

This is my thread on this forum ( car section ) and this is exactly what you are looking for.

The TCS !!

I think its pretty cool, but yes it's gimmicky, like that blower that they came out with for the TMaxx or Savage or whatever truck it was made for. I also think that the first time the car hits a wall its going to flatten that radiator out and ruin it.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Gigaah

hmm I couldn't find a link for a cheaper system or even for just the pump for sale.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

Hi,

The TCS !!

I think its pretty cool, but yes it's gimmicky, like that blower that they came out with for the TMaxx or Savage or whatever truck it was made for. I also think that the first time the car hits a wall its going to flatten that radiator out and ruin it.
that's exactly what I was thincking about the system at first but if you read the whole thread you can see that's not the case at all , the radiator is a solid brick of aluminum and will never break , It's that tough. It's very efficient.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: Gigaah

hmm I couldn't find a link for a cheaper system or even for just the pump for sale.
Just send an email to the TCS website and ask for just the pump , maybe it's not on the website itself but they do carry every part of the system. You won't find an alternative , this is the only one available on this planet.