Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Looking for Electric RTR for Nitro boat retreval

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Looking for Electric RTR for Nitro boat retreval

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
rageman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Electric RTR for Nitro boat retreval

I am looking for a low cost electric RTR, used or new, that would be suitable as a retrival boat for a 31" Nitro boat. Vector drive with reverse is desired with about 300 foot RC range. Proboat Shockwave 26 and Mini-V would be two examples. Just a bare bones retreval boat is all that I want. Other lesser know brands also acceptable as long as everything works.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: Looking for Electric RTR for Nitro boat retreval

What about the Zig Zag racer. It has very good range. It is the same radio system that Hobbyzone puts some of their planes. I think the range is like 1200 feet. Plus the Zig Zag comes with a half moon scoop on the front. But I like to use a boat with a fishing pole better. You attach the fishing line to the rescue boat and drive it out and circle the disabled boat 3/4 the way around. Put the radio down and pick up the rod and reel and start reeling it in. The rescue boat will get caught up with the disabled boat and you can reel them both in.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 AM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobbytron has lots of inexpensive potential boats that could be used as a retrieval boat. [link]http://www.hobbytron.com/RCElectricBoats.html[/link]

Do your research to see if they will meet your needs. If your range needs are not met with any of the stock boats, you can always pick up good used equipment on ebay...ie: 2 channel transmitter, receiver. I would say to look for Traxxas components since they are widely available and fairly inexpensive.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
rageman

Actually that sounds like a very good approach since the retreval boat only has to be robust enough to ferry the fishing line to the disabled boat and does not have to have the power/size/control features to push/pull it back to shore.

Do you ever have any problem with swamping/sinking the electric retreval boat on pull back?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
SV27dayton

What type batts does the Zig zag use. I have 6 6cells that are of lesser quality that I would be able to use in a retrieval boat. Also I have the stock SV radio that I could put in if the cheap boat's range is too short. Don't know if boats that cheap are upgradable like that though. I gues anything is upgradable if you have the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Not there is no problem with the rescue boat taking on water, just make sure you tape the hatch shut and you will be fine. If you get some other boat, make it as water proof as possible.
The Zig Zag uses 2/3 A cells. They are the same battery that the Hobbyzone Aerobird uses. I wonder why because it also uses the same radio system
Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

What type batts does the Zig zag use. I have 6 6cells that are of lesser quality that I would be able to use in a retrieval boat. Also I have the stock SV radio that I could put in if the cheap boat's range is too short. Don't know if boats that cheap are upgradable like that though. I gues anything is upgradable if you have the time.

Yea, I'm not sure if those boats have the component quick change ability either but I would imagine that if needed, one could solder on the connectors needed for the receiver change.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
soundguykaraoke50

HI, CHECK OUT MY THRED ON RETREVAL BOAT IN THE GAS SPEED FORUM,I USED THE VILLAN EX 14 VOLT.THIS SETUP CAN BRING IN THE LARGEST OF GASSERS THIS WORKS GREAT,I HAVE PICTURES IN THAT POST.TAKE A LOOK.

SORRY ITS LISTED RECOVERY BOAT. NOT RETREVAL BOAT