Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

the official traxxas villain thread ! good info !

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

the official traxxas villain thread ! good info !

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 PM
NobodyFamous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the official traxxas villain thread ! good info !

I would go with these, EZ Run but 3000kv on 4s.  Speed should be good, runtime also good and I think they will bolt right in with all the stock gear. +1 for water cooling.  You can also save a few bucks by getting a single Turnigy 120A ESC and run both motors.

(I didn't think it was possible, but lots of testing and live video to go with it has been done)

At least, thats what is saved in my HK wish list for when I have a few extra bucks.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
NorCalZ71

well since i already have 1 vxl combo i am probably going to just get a 2nd one and run those with aluminum water jackets and ill machine the fins off the esc's and mount some water cooling plates on em!.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 AM
NobodyFamous

that should work.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
eklaben

Here is an upgrade that is worthwhile to those of you with upgraded Villains that will eliminate spur gear shredding. I converted my Villain IV to a timing belt drive, with Aluminum alloy pulleys and a fiberglass reinforced belt that will never break. I have run it many times and the increase in efficiency and reduced gear train noise is amazing. Check the video!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSNgQ_L-qmk
Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
NorCalZ71

are these off the shelf parts? sounds like it would be alot easier to change ratios with a pully system.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 PM
eklaben

Yes, all off the shelf parts. I just did a bit of design work to get a good setup. The ratio I am running right now is 13/22 which gives a bit faster ratio than stock. There are a few options as far as # of teeth, but the biggest constraint is the center to center distance of the shafts i.e. if they get too close they might interfere. Luckily the Villain motor mounts already have slots to facilitate belt tightening. Remember this is a timing belt or "cogged" system, not just a belt and pulley so there are grooves in the pully and belt so no slippage occurs.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM
NorCalZ71

just got my new props gonna test em out 2moro!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM
comport

This past weekend i picked up a Villain at a garage sale, its been modded and gutted by the looks of it. It also came with a Brushless motor "Turnigy 82835-3900",speed controler that remains a mystery, 2 lipo batteries, and as well as all the stock drives and shafts.
Since i picked every thing up for $5 im ready to jump into this a spend a bit of money, but my problem is im really not sure where to start since this will be my first build. it seems that most people drop the stock drives and goto a flex drive, that im sure i can figure out, but my main consern is the out drive, what to use and size and such.