Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

my new semi-scale micro build...UPDATED!, new picks

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

my new semi-scale micro build...UPDATED!, new picks

Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new semi-scale micro build...UPDATED!, new picks

Ok, so I found this cool little model on ebay...and I have decided to convert it to R/C...so I have it all ready to go, I'll test it tomorrow...I'll leave with no predictions...I'd rather wait till I see what it will do...radio is a 2 channel futaba, micro servo, novak XRS...battery is a great planes 11.1volt 910mah li-po(yeah yeah yeah, I know, li-po and water do not mix, but the way its mounted if it gets wet then the boat has sunk, which I also highly doubt being an issue after a float test...its right where it should be)...so we will see...the motors came with the model kit, it was intended to run on 4AA batteries so this battery wire to the motors in series will put 5.5 volts to each motor, enough to scream without burning up, the motors are very cheap small brushed units and are easily replacable when the do go(which the will eventually)...and one of the best things...the motors counter rotate one another so no prop walk(NICE!) should be quick Im not expecting great speeds, but for how small it is it should be plenty fast...and how cool are twin micro outboards...lemme know what you think...I'll get running shots and maybe a vid tomorrow...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81047.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	729430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72345.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	729431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66167.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	729432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11967.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	729433  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: my new semi-scale micro build

Half the guys in here run LiPo's. Very nice build. Please tell me the outboards are real. If so, totally awesome!

Ryan
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Vertical3-D

ok, last time i was in the fast electric world people were having a fit over the li-po thing...and oh yeah! they are real...should be awesome...
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM
ryan_t888

Nice, do you have any photos of the outboards? What are the exact motors you will be using? Are they for micro flight?

Ryan
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Vertical3-D

I'll get some motor pics when I take the running pictures later today...
Old 07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Vertical3-D

Well...the motors...SMOKED UM... these cheap little motors made to take 3volts a piece fried, I think the amps killed them...they smoked, reverse stopped, they slowed down, and then when I got home, the end caps were melted, brushes completely gone, so I'm gonna drop in two electrifly 180 size motors, they will fit but are longer and more sturdy...who knows how long they will last...it was fast though, plenty fast, I need to add some trim tabs or something, the bow starts hopping badly...it looks so sweet on the water though and handled very nicely...very practicle little boat if I can get the motors to the point that they will last...heres some pics...no fast running shot or vids yet though...

Name:	Ca81674.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	729876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52225.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	729877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37106.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	729878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71671.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	729879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47567.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	729880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85537.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	729881  
Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
ryan_t888

Those look like 130 size motors that the Xmods use. On my Xmod, I'm running 2 cell Li-ion - 7.4v. The brushes also look nothing like that. They have an actual piece of brush material instead of just tiny pieces of metal on the commutator.

I run a 180 electrifly in one of the Great Planes Mini Delta on 7.4v 640mah battery. The 180's should last a long time on 5.5v. The plane recommends using 9.6v NiMh.
I also had a Megatech Plane when I first got started with planes. It ran a 180 on 6v and a 4" prop and turned a good 9 000RPM.

The hull does look great on the water.

Ryan
Old 07-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, I modified it for the longer motors, Im gonna buy them this week I think...tower has a few of them for cheap...and there were brushes there, I scraped them out of the motor cases in about a billion pieces...they completely nuked...there was noticable smoke out of them when they fried...first they stopped running in reverse when I tried to back it up, then they alternatly got week and eventually died...and yeah I agree it looks good running... it sits nicely, I kept thinking it had to be taking on some water but it didnt, suprising for how small it is...water was dead calm though also...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Vertical3-D

Heres the next installment of this build/frankenstien little boat...I believe I have made a monster, the 180's are in, some 14 gauge orion snakewire. and now they are wired in parallel, it has way way more power, just a test in the tub tonight(already dark) I'll run it tomorrow evening and report, it may need a higher capacity pack to increase run times and also balance the boat a bit better...maybe a something like a 1320mah or something...Im gonna go easy on the throttle as not to fry these motors...maybe a 1320mah 2cell instead...

Name:	Fd91572.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	733944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33289.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	733945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73992.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	733946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19929.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	733947  
Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Hiaboo

Default RE: my new semi-scale micro build...UPDATED!, new picks

That looks awesome.. Fun too! Look into rechargeable li-ion 123a cells?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
ryan_t888

14 Gauge wire is kind of over kill considering the motors will run too hot with anything over 5-6A or so. My plane motor ran around 3-4A at 6v. On 7.2v it was 4A with a load reduction. The motor I had also heating up considerably after a 5 minute flight.

1320mAh should give you at least 9 minutes of run time going by a 4.5A load per motor. I ran a 220mAh battery and got around 5 minutes of on power flight.

It sure looks good, the only thing I don't like is the size of those wires. They are HUGE.

Ryan
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Vertical3-D

Yeah, the wires are giant, but at least they wont be a weak link and they are real flexible so the steering functions great still...maybe some of the heat from the brushes will heat sink through the wires though, in my couple minutes of testing the motors stayed cool...I can wait to run it...thanks for the info...should run like 5-7 minutes with this battery then, Ill have to take my hammer ep with to push it back with just in case I geuss...well we'll see how it does tomorrow and I'll let you all know hw it does...to bad my etrex GPS or any GPS for that matter, would be enough wieght to sink it, otherwise I's get a speed reading...my heavily modded nitro vee was topping out around 30mph so I have some idea by sight, but being small it looks faster than it is...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 PM
ryan_t888

Sounds good, Good Luck

Ryan
Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 AM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that thing is cool. hope full yit works better than it did b4
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: Vertical3-D

Yeah, the wires are giant, but at least they wont be a weak link and they are real flexible so the steering functions great still...maybe some of the heat from the brushes will heat sink through the wires though, in my couple minutes of testing the motors stayed cool...I can wait to run it...thanks for the info...should run like 5-7 minutes with this battery then, Ill have to take my hammer ep with to push it back with just in case I geuss...well we'll see how it does tomorrow and I'll let you all know hw it does...to bad my etrex GPS or any GPS for that matter, would be enough wieght to sink it, otherwise I's get a speed reading...my heavily modded nitro vee was topping out around 30mph so I have some idea by sight, but being small it looks faster than it is...
Actually the wires are a weak link. They are unnecessary weight in the rear of the boat. Since it wouldn't be that hard, I would change them to 16 guage.
But other than that, very nice job and it looks cool. Hope to see a vid soon.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Vertical3-D

had so major issues, loss of a prop while I was running, it was hopping badley and when the prop came off it slowed and came off plane and then swamoed and sank...only thing I lost was a prop, everything else survived and is working, now I converted it to a single of my frankenstiened micro outboards, if I didnt mind buying the new wire Id change it, but its all setup with the single motor now and I sealed my reciever board and the speed controller with epoxy so now more "not good, not good...I hope it still works" luckily the pond I run in is shallow, about five feet off the shore it was maybe a foot, foot and a half deep max...so back to the pond tomorrow to test again, I couldnt get over half throttle due to the handling issues so It should actually be faster with the single motor since its balanced so much better now...plus now I have spare parts if this one break which is always good...I'll get it working yet...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol thats sucks
hope u have good luck tomarow
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Vertical3-D

thanks, It sucked when it happened, now that everything survived and I know what not to do it's kind of funny...I worry about loosing my small boats though the only boat I have ever completely lost was a homebuilt crackerbox with a 480 graupner motor in it...I was running it during the winter when it was to cold to go in after it and it sunk, it dug it during a turn and got swamped I nailed the throttle to try to bring it back to shore but when I did all the water ran to the back and it rolled up on its side and when under...I tried for hours to fish that thing out and havent seen it again...I also had a 550 motor break loose from and airboat(fastest electric airboat I ever built) and it flew into the water and I couldnt find it...sucks loosing stuff...not enough room in this small boat to put foam in it...
Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Vertical3-D

worked better on a single motor, still hopped, outboard was having some driveline problems, so I am working on a different idea on this one for now, I may build a small wooded boat and a flex shaft outboard for the other 180 motor and then just alternate the other equipment from boat to boat, maybe an outboard crackerbox...
Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Vertical3-D

well the project came to an untimely end today...I moved the motor inboard and added a rudder...surface drive...but it wouldnt plane...so i gave it a shove and throttled up and it planed but then torque rolled all the way over and sank in about 5 foot deep murky water with a deep mud bottom...i went int o find it but couldnt...this sucks...so I'll just work on my 1/4 scale airboat which is in need of a more powerful weedwackeer engine, runs but is hard to keep moving fast...and I have a wooden steam tug I neew to finish and get running properly...thats only the second loss in 4 years of running...both were ones that capsized and sank...oh well...
Old 01-16-2016, 08:16 PM
mds-glass

Name:	20160114_163533.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	979.7 KB
ID:	2141965