Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

I've started my first build!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

I've started my first build!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
MOVMX Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've started my first build!!!

Well, I have finally started my first build, a 14-in. catamaran that will be powered by a brushless motor and lipo. I bought pink insulation foam from lowes to carve a form from, and I plan to fiberglass it when I have all of the shaping done. I used the Cat_v1 plans off of modelpowerboats.com and scaled them down, and then drew them in a notebook. I then whipped out my hotwire foam cutter (built specificly for this project and ones to come) and cut the rough shape. then i used a combination of a stanley "surform" tool, which looks a lot like a cheese grater, sandpaper, and patience. After I refined the form quite a bit, i used loctite "high performance epoxy" to fill any holes, and this is what I ended up with (see pics)
I still need to remove foam on the top for electronics, etc, and I will also make a foam cowl and fiberglass it as well.
I plan to make all of the hardware from brass, but I need help with selecting a flex cable and coupler for my motor, and I also need to decide on a motor and possibly battery. I have a mamba 25 amp esc and 3 cell lipo from another application, but the motor is smokled, and the battery might make a motor spin too fast for a boat. Any ideas?
Let me know what you think!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94491.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	734227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77050.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	734228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61864.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	734229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi16015.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	734230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69576.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	734231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mc50447.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	734232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs29544.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	734233  
Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
SV27dayton

Default RE: I've started my first build!!!

Looks promising. See how the inside walls of the tunnel are perpendicular in the picture? I think you want that to be reflected in the hull. Looks like you angled them on the form. That will make the boat slide and lift in the turn rather than track "like on rails". I've never built one so insert salt here but I believe that to be very important.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
MOVMX Racer

I had noticed that. remember, I am nowhere close to being ready to glass it yet, I still have MANY things that I know need to be done to it, but that I don't want to do...
When the epoxy sets all the way, I will make sure i even those out.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 PM
jdoug

It looks pretty good. I built this from plans as well. The center section is balsa and the sponsons are econocote covered blue insulation foam with a lexan ride pad. If you are careful with the boat you could just reinforce the inside where the equipment mounts and leave the hull foam and add a hard ride pad to the running surfaces. It will keep the boat really light weight. The only downside to it being just foam is that is isn't very tough and will dent. The weight savings were worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69209.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	734258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88983.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	734259  
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
MOVMX Racer

This will not be a race boat by any means, but i do want to see how much speed i can squeeze out of it for about $150, and maybe see if it will keep up with my SV27!
I just want a fairly quick boat (around 25mph or more) that will handle well and I won't have to worry about flipping it in corners. I also want something that is fairly durable, as I have already had to patch my SV27 from hitting a dock....