Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
grael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

For those of you experimenting with making up your own parts, this is really useful:
http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/SoftToolingForCasting
I've read through it, and there's a lot of excellent advice on it, lots of tips that if followed, will help you to get good results.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

pretty good info . thanks grael
Old 02-05-2009, 09:45 PM
sundogz

Yes, you may be right about that. It just seemed prudent to open things up while at it. I can tell you it didn't hurt it - things improved. The ABC jet ski cavitated badly under hard turning, but never now - it's like it's adhered to the surface more. I'm a big fan of that jet ski - you get a lot for your money. Lotta possibilities. Second best mod is a 50A brushed ESC and a 3s lipo. The stock 550 motor is powerful and aftermarket replacements are cheap. And you can fit a lot of batteries in the bottom (lowering the c.o.g.) thus lowering the possibiltiy of capsizing (did that once when batteries were in the provided tray) during crazy manuvers. They are selling them for $59.95 now on ebay. Hell, the jet drive alone is worth that. And you get a 2 channel proportional radio and transmitter, 2 servos, and an ABS hull as well as a 550 motor and water cooling system. That speed control has to go, though. (?]>
Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
sundogz

Woops, looks like wallyworld518 stopped selling them last week, so now they're up to $89.95. Still a bargain as far as I'm concerned. That's what I paid for my first one from Atomic Hobby (myatomic.com) and they've gone up to $93.

And I think I misspoke earlier. Looking at my videos it looks like the jet ski was cavitating all the time except in turns, when it quieted down and dug in. Sorry about that. We've had a bad ice storm here and been a week without electricity (power lines/trees down everywhere). So I'm typing this under the duress of a noisy generator. Ha! Going batty I guess.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Vinnystoolbox

Oh well that moulding method sounds fairly easy, might have to try it, oh good another thing to learn
Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 AM
headhunter23

[] am thinking of getting rid of my knock off. Thing is I have my new yellow delta jet and really want to keep mini me and get that working. I just would like to clear out the third because... the other two kinda fit the bill and I would like to reduce fleet to three boats(I have one speedy delta). Not even sure if im going to ask for money for it, thing is it's a work in progress, my idea after getting water in through the top consistently with numerous mods, final being to seal batteries, motor, servo... everything in the hull with a plexy glass top and encase everything in foam. Will post pictures... will sleep on it wether to ask for money for it or not. If I do decide to sell, will leave servo in it but motor/batt/esc are coming out. Drive has brass shaft mod, plus metal prop...

nugh... decisions decisions. [&o]
Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 AM
grael

Be careful using foam, it's light, but it still has a weight to it. try to get the packaging bags, that are sealed in a "puffed tape", and use as many of those as possible, and some foam for the gaps. I've spoiled boats before by using expanding foam.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:24 AM
jetboata

hi all

have nearly finished building my jet sprint, just waiting on cooling tube atm.

i was wondering how other people have turned down bigger props into impellors as spares. And if i were to buy a propellor to turn down to a graupner mini jet impellor what sized prop (diameter and pitch) should i buy, and how should i go about turning the prop down.

i ask because i want to run my jet in small streams and the like but dont want to go chopping up the entire underside of the jet unit to fit a mesh that im still a bit unsure on. would the standard grill that comes with the mini jet, stop a majourity of "rubbish" eg stones etc entering the jet unit?

thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 04:18 AM
grael

I use my metal lathe to cut the props down.

But, you can do it with a dremel type tool, or an electric drill. You will need to make up some sort of jig to allow you to rotate the prop at a fixed distance from a belt sander, orbital sander, disk sander, or a sanding drum on a dremel.

I cut down 55mm props, but you probably want to try the 35 size for your size jet, and work from there.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 AM
headhunter23

I just threw prop on shaft then on drill press but drill would work in a pinch(high speed would be preferable). Then take flat file(tried dremel but broke both carbides and sanding disks, file was by far better for me) and just slowly introduce it to the prop. When it starts getting to the size of the tube, I was constantly taking it on and off to test fit, although a vernier (precise measuring instrument, available at hardware stores generally) would have made it quicker, I preferred looking at how it was in the tube and spinning by hand. It can come out as a metal lathe this way just take your time, took me maybe 20 min after screwing around with the dremel. Afterwards if you have a prop balancer, would be good idea but not required to balance prop as this will reduce wear on sleeve(and chance o tube strikes), motor, bearings etc even though the prop is already tiny to begin with.

Yea decided to give away hull, who ever wants it pays shipping. Tis ugly... ahhhh... will go take pic now. Again no motor, no esc, no batteries(even though they are in the photo, will take em out whenever someone decides to take ownership). The way it was setup was to be completely sealed and powered by quick release outside of hull on the back, charging was going to be done through dean which would have been located on top, which is why so ugly. The spray foam hasn't affected the hull since it grew through the top, worst case scenario if you like the hull most of the foam can be scooped out(if you don't want duplicate protection). Oh note, since taking hull apart this way, some of the abs has cracked a bit, but a little goop and a new top will strengthen everything back up so you can go bashing off rocks and over falls no problems.

Taking photos now. remember, just hull and jet... oh and no coupler, going to steal it for other boat. Sorry to whomever.[:-]

Ivan.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
headhunter23

Here's pic's, the one of the grate doesn't show the metal octura.

Motor suggestions... lookup 3900kv(3900rpm/kv 40 amper gold motor) on united hobby and get the L40 esc with programming card. This setup on 7.4v will draw about 21 amps, 30amps on 11.1v. Both are very fast and responsive.

Whoever buys pays shipping, paypal is very preferred for shipping, you pay cost i make no money. First taker on this thread gets it. Won't be on till later, got lotsa stuff to do today.

Ivan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25476.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1130181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38786.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1130182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52765.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1130183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11733.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1130184  
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 AM
areseaer

Headhunter, I'm interested, can pay with paypal no prob.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

hey guy . i turn my props down on drill press and i have a x and y axas vise that i clamp and angel air grinder with a 3m gasket removeing disk or rolock disk . since the vise can be moved like a lathe and it cut very clean
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Vinnystoolbox

Looks like areseaer is the lucky man, however if that doesn't work out i'd be interested as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
headhunter23

Looks like aresearer is da man... will figure out postage to novascotia(that correct? pm me your postal, i think that's whats needed for canada post). Things apart, just need to find a box for her and some foam or paper to protect her(not that she needs much). Hope ya like piecing her back together.

Vinny if doesn't work out, u next.

Ivan
Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM
areseaer

Hi I've sent a PM to you Headhunter with the info.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Diegoboy

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Found out that a jet drive rigger has already been done (where is Dirtysouth lately? probably in electric speed forum). And I think Damfurst is on to something.
I was in on that project. It could have been a better performer had he taken his time and used a bit of finesse. Anyway Dirtysouth31 has quit the hobby all together. He dropped off a huge box to my house last night with EVERYTHING RC related inside. Including a Vac-U-Tow, and a Renegade Rigger. It's a sad day.

Anyway, Don't give up on the rigger. That arrow wind is a lot lighter than the blizzard!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

Looks like aresearer is da man... will figure out postage to novascotia(that correct? pm me your postal, i think that's whats needed for canada post). Things apart, just need to find a box for her and some foam or paper to protect her(not that she needs much). Hope ya like piecing her back together.

Vinny if doesn't work out, u next.

Ivan
bah! I would have loved it. put me third on the list then. been wanting a mini, but I'm so tight on money right now that I keep thinking about prepping the boats and selling........got a baby on the way. I'm scared I'm still a kid(at heart) playing video games, playing with my car, my rc boats, gonna try to keep everything I figure by the time I grow up, maybe the kid will be old enough to want everything.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

WOW man congrades . man did you like just get married . wam bam thank you man lol..
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
headhunter23

Aresearer followed through, package was sent yesterday. Congrats on the baby, seems all my friends are startin to have kids. Guess mine will start comin next year(once i get the ring etc...). Yet another reason to reduce toys, so can actually run the three i have, plus stoopid planes which are fun too... don't worry about the games and stuff, that's our generation, only going to be more intense for next generations.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

hey head you in to planes too. what you got ??
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM
headhunter23

was trying to make a go of business with it doing aerial videos, have had ezstars(4), ezglider, cularis, zagi 4 and 5ft, made custom vtol which was too heavy and absolutely needed rudders which I was trying to avoid. Making new flying wing(zagnutz) this weekend with pod and ducted fan power so it would be durable as hell, with no need to balance prop as prop hits won't occur. I noticed you had been flying a... slowstick right? I have been wanting to try one(they only use rudder/elevator controls like ezstar right?), but I'm fully commited to the foam, less danger, more durable. Have you seen diydrones.com? Amazing stuff going on there(really cheap stuff being developed) also a couple other good technical sites for getting increased range o radio and video tx/rx stuff. You using fm or 2.4ghz?

Ivan.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

yeah i have a slow stick. its just rudder and elevater . but you can put a moded wing with alarons . i also have a micro telemaster havent had it in the air yet been way to windy here to play . the video i did with my slow stick was my cell phone strap to it .. and a 4g card . just had to set the phone to record till the card was full with is like about an hour . im useing a fm jr s400 you can see it in the aqua jet pics on the other page i thank . i also been teaching a buddy of mine to fly his hanger 9 .46 nitro tranner its pretty fast and a lot of fun to fly
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
headhunter23

cool... it's addictive eh? wait till ya strap on the googles and look around at a km up, blows my mind. My new mods that i want to do in a month or two are to get amp for radio to give me 10km distance, as that's max for my video stuff anyways. You read up on the guy from norway, i think, anyway, he's selling radio stuff that currently gets 62km. Some crazy stuff happenin in it... still it's cheap yet everything adds up and becomes costly...[]

Just a tip, if you ever do the google and onboard video stuff, get ailerons done, getting stuck in death sprial or having wings flip over on ya in really windy conditions sucks.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
areseaer

Congrats from me to Quick. Headhunter is a man of his word, I just hope I can make something of the boat and have some fun with it before he want's it back.[X(]
I got a Multiplex Mentor, so easy to fly it makes me look good. I do like the foam planes esspically for learning how to fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.