Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
headhunter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Sweet was lookin at that. Like I said earlier though... 3 boats is good enough for me... although I'm kinda tempted to get rid of mini me, but then when creeks dry up in summer, won't beable to use the yellow delta jet boat... too big, even at 25in. Hope ya have fun with her and get her going.

Ivan.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM
headhunter23

Screw it... must be having weird day. Vinny u want mini me? Search back around page 3 of this thread for a link to the build, theres some videos on my ipopovic utube account of it running. It needs some work, have pulled all the goop off and was going to epoxy all the holes and paint. Would be just hull and jet. Jet is still stock prop, no sleeve, but it requires sleeve as it's finally starting to leak. No other stuff included.

You pay shipping, quick is next in line if ya don't take it. Boat I think needs balancing to reduce the left and right(would require further testing)... before with the aluminum rails on the bottom worked perfectly but would get stuck on rocks, rather than sliding across them. Had grinded them off mostly and left to right wag came back. Epoxy rails should correct it.

Lemme know.

Ivan.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Vinnystoolbox

Headhunter thanks would love to take it off your hands but had a few expensive setbacks with the aqua jet hull so don't have the cash right now.

The ESC decided it doesn't like me, then i stupidly spun the impeller the wrong way with another esc, which melted the impeller and stator together, thank goodness i had spares or i'd probably be giving it away myself. [&:]

Definitely going to have to try some mould your own.

Congrats to Quicksilver don't worry about selling your toys, my 3 year old boy has had his own boat for a year or so and his younger sister looks well jealous when we are playing with the boats.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
damfurst

Ok Here are 2 vids, one of my knock off and other of my Jet Mini-V XL(aka the brick). They aren't really great as I had no vid person & I had never done this before. Have a look if u want. [link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Knock-off-Jet-Drive-wmv[/link][link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Jet-Drive-Mini-V-XL-wmv[/link]

Hey, Quick congratulations on you & your wife being with child. Tough decisions to make, but they will be worth it. I've had three and they all are worth it. GL!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Vinnystoolbox

I can see why you call it 'the brick' looks like it only just floats, looks fairly quick though.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
sundogz

Thx for the videos Damfurst, I really like the monster mini-v. Looks like plenty of power/speed to conquer the rapids for sure! Crap, I may have to do that mod myself, now. Argh, just money and time.......money and time! S
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

[sm=thumbup.gif] looks great man runs smooth and its pretty fast just imagne how fast shell be if you got it on plain .
Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
headhunter23

dude the mini-v looked great, sorry to say but runs better than dragons.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
damfurst

Thanks guys, I still have water getting in somehow even though I've taped hatch up. Good thing I water proofed the servo & rx. I thought my rx was on that video but (the part I didn't include) it ran up on shore at one point and all the water went to the back & got the rx. I didn't know it picked it up & tossed the boat back in the water. The next thing on the vid was the boat drifting downstream lifeless. Kind of funny actually. The rx dried out alright I wrapped it with some silcone tommy tape which I just got. I think it works pretty good now, but need to keep the water out before I try any rapids. I also need to try my 9.9v battery in it & see what it does on that voltage. I wonder if an auto bailer would work in this small of a boat? Any thoughts anyone?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

well it was my first ever mod [8D] so it can always be imporved on
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
headhunter23

damfurst, run it in tub for 5min... watch. More than likely it's seal around the jet to hull for exhaust part portion. Other option would be water coming in through shaft itself. Ummm... check your cooling lines for break, as u may actually run dry in tub but depending on how your cooling is startup, might not notice a drop in tub.

Ivan.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
damfurst

ORIGINAL: DRAGONFIRE81M

well it was my first ever mod [8D] so it can always be imporved on
I will readily admit that I may not have even tried this or been interested in jet drives if not for dragons videos of his mini-v. Thanks Dragon.

Headhunter, Thanks for the advice will try it again. I do know that it's not coming in around shaft though. They use a 1/8" o-ring for a seal on this drive and it really works. I was getting water in my mini jet on the knock off until I tried the o ring and that stopped it from leaking. Will try some of the other things suggested however.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
headhunter23

Ring will only work for so long. Needs to be corrected with brass or bearing to stop future leaks.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Quicksilver

Thanks guys
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
headhunter23

Uhh.. quick guess ya didn't read the one post, but u want "mini me"?

u take care o shipping to u, just hull and jet.

Ivan.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
sundogz

I've used sticky-backed foam tape on the hatch, but still get a little water in each run. Sometimes I go completely under for a few seconds at the 'falls', but usually pop out of it. I found water is coming in at the jet to hull seal on the bottom (I had used silicone caulking there). But don't want to take it apart yet - it's just a small leak. So I'm going to buy a cheap water squirt pistol just for the fill plug and put it high on the hull - near a corner. Then after each run, I'll just remove it and tip the water out. I don't think an auto bailer will work very well (during a run) on this model. Of course you could tip the water out of it manually afterwards.

Whitewater running (going up rapids, etc) was a challenge on my knockoff with the brushless [email protected] - so much air churned up in the water caused lost power. I've changed to a 3800K (I know, probably overkill) and will give it a go when the weather settles down a bit. But I have a feeling your mini monster would do just fine there!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM
headhunter23

sundogz, also try adding weight and adjusting batt inside boat back and forth, this will also help reduce aeration. The higher rpm motors seemed to make the rapids u describe easier to go up but again it took some playing around to get it right.

Ivan.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Quicksilver

Uhh.. quick guess ya didn't read the one post, but u want "mini me"?

u take care o shipping to u, just hull and jet.

Ivan.
oh sweet. This thread grows quickly, that and the last 48hrs has been taken up removing a trojan from my system.

PM me let me know what the deal is, perhaps I could trade you something. I've got a lot of stuff and I cant have it all, but I cant throw it out. How do you throw out good stuff....ya just cant.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
sundogz

I's rather not increase the weight - lighter goes faster (Damfursts' monster mini-v notwithstanding!) The aeration only occurs in the frothy stuff, so this new motor should make the difference. Got the 3s battery 'for to aft' on the bottom back against the motor and it planes right away so there's no problem there.

Damfurst: After reading this (long but informative) post, I opted for waterproof esc's. And my receiver is velcro'd high on the starboard side to help it stay away from moisture, so I don't worry about that much. A little water is to be expected, so just plan for it. I've since equipped my Kawasaki jet ski and my stretch NDQ rigger with waterproof esc's as well. No worries there.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
headhunter23

I agree with keeping boat light as possible till buddys proved it ran better with a little more weight. Just saying give it a try, might run better for u.

Ivan.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ok guys after getting my taxs back i placed and order to hobby city for the motor and esc for the aqua jet . here is what i got motor is a tungy 36-56-2600 and a simple 100a esc i hope to be running it on 4s
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Vinnystoolbox

Dragonfire let us know how it runs with those, i have a kb45 08l, 2x 6cell nimh and had a 120A hextronic but it has gone back as it's faulty.

Tested with a 70a esc which got pretty hot after just 10-20 secs of half throttle but had loads of thrust.

Was thinking of a smaller motor, but thought i'd take the extra power incase i had underestimated what the drive needed.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

sure will . i have ran a 36-40-2250 and 36-50-3300 ammo motors in big blue both did great till the escs fried the first motor is the one you see in the utube vid that was a 70a on 22v the volts is what got it the sec motor i had a 50a it didnt last the tube test . but big blue is a little heaver then the aqua jet . so i hope this set up used work great
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
headhunter23

Can't wait to see that thing ripping again Dragon.

Been working on delta jet due to the nice weather and half open pond out back(which now froze overnight).

Anyways quick question. Seems my cooling option originally isn't going to work with my new steering push/pull system. Now I gotta fill a hole in the fibre glass and one in the steering nozzle. Ideas? Would prefer to be a little neater than putting in 2 bolts. Like any decorative ideas that would look good?

Ideas!!! Put em out there!

Btw quicksilver, ummm... still waitin on postal code if ur interested in boat.

Ivan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70984.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1135092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41799.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1135093  
Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
lipdaddy

take off the nozzle and put a piece of tape on one side (same with the hole in the boat) and fill it in with two part epoxy. when it's cured remove the tape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.