Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
headhunter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

I would say it's a 380-400 size brushed. Damn it stop responding, now I have to pull all the stuff out!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:11 AM
headhunter23

ok, 230 g with jet drive and everything, there's still a few grams of hot glue still in the hull. Would say 234g overall for all internals. Hull with nothing, no top is 162g. Very light.

The can of the motor is 1.75 in long and 1.15in wide motor itself weighs 82g. no idea what it would be considered in terms of brushed. Someone else would have to chime in.

uhhh i think that's all im doing tonight. Managed to break the grill of the jet drive, although i don't think it was too strong to begin with. Will replace it with carbon fibre rods. Making it stronger, faster and more aggressive!!

Was hoping to put fresh stuff in tonight but there's no way that's happening because I couldn't get the set screw out of either side(motor or drive). Will prolly have to drill out and replace with new coupler. Don't like this style anyways, my other jet drive has one o those gruapner flex couplers, in which it should be straight shaft outta aluminum or brass.

So with any luck more done tomorrow, providing I can find coupler close by.

Oh on the plus side, the red brushless fits perfectly!!! no plate no nothing, just screw in!!! happy days are here at last![8D]

Ivan.

Personal notes:
Old stuff
all internals
230g
plus old batt 140g
total weight = 370g

fresh stuff:
red brushless, esc and wires 70g
servo 4g
uhhh receiver 6-22g.
total weight = 80g - 94g
weight available for batt compared to original = 290-276g so 2 x 11.1v 1700mah packs.... schweet.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96325.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	820802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53579.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	820803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39588.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	820804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82299.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	820805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47863.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	820806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37651.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	820807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71740.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	820808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv40568.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	820809  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx81623.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	820810  
Old 12-08-2007, 06:24 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

thanks headhunter that was over and beond.nice to know that the 280 size can or 20mm will bolt

hey man found out what the motor is its a 390 and theres a little better specs on one of the ebay listting . and i guess this extra lifo cost more becouse the shipping is $30 in sted of $28

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Remote-Con...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

well i payed for the ebay jet boat this morning . so cant wait till it comes in
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
launchpad51

Hello;
I see something shine under the nozzle;is that another trim tab or ...............
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 AM
headhunter23

No idea which photo you are talking about, but there's no trim tabs. atleast on this look a like I picked up recently.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Boots77

Hi Headhunter,

I've been following this thread and I am interested to know how your modifications have been coming along with the Jet-Sprint copy as I've also purchased one just for the hull and pump unit.

I wonder how the pump will handle the extra power, will it decide to self destruct with a suitable brushless setup?

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM
headhunter23

Just worked on her today. It's really not bad to do, honestly, all I did was attach the motor, ensured everything was done to the motor esc (as i hard wire esc's to motor) the drive, added some glue and put it back in. Oh I had greased the shaft too. Umm... doing the grills for it was easy, if you look at my 12.5" jet drive thread it's the exact same process of drilling out the little angle piece(you'll understand when u see it) Making some ridges for the grill to set into the drive. Glue into boat.

I would have taken more photos but it would pretty much be duplication of 12.5" thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65..._3/key_/tm.htm

All that needs to be done is servo setup, trying to fix this micro one I have but not having much luck. Otherwise I have to go with an old jr servo which is bigger than I hoped for.

Edit point:

Success on fixing micro servo... schweeet. Will have new setup running tomorrow after my exam. Will try to do video cam, bring tripod this time.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

my two 3s 2400mah in today and there on charge still waiting on the motor and i still need to make a perilal y conector . im going to pick up a nothe hitech 55 its just the right size and the tq on it is perfict not over powering . and quick speed . for only $15 . im going to start out by tring to blow the stock motor up with a 12v esc and use my two new battery
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just remember this is a NQD boat, so dont expect miracles. They obviously saw a market for the boats and made them. Honestly I've been trying to figure out how to tap into that market for a while now.

... to sum up, be cautious.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

just remember this is a NQD boat, so dont expect miracles. They obviously saw a market for the boats and made them. Honestly I've been trying to figure out how to tap into that market for a while now.

... to sum up, be cautious.
i do understand that its a cheap boat thats why i didnt jump on it right away .only after seeing headhunter vid did i see the potenchel in the hull and the look . this is the only hull from nqd that looks like it could be easy moded and thay have something good to start with . just bad electronics like all cheap toys.

speking of witch it will be here fri . just got the ups tracking e-mail
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
headhunter23

Does NDQ buy up molds or rights to make certain boats? I can swear this is a slightly modded graupner drive, there is only a few minor differences, the screw mounts, a little bit carved in the back. Heck even the little holes for the original grills would sit in the graupner are on this drive even though it doesn't use them. They did improve on the little angle piece that comes out of the drive (still no idea what to call it), and the way the shaft connects to the nozzle is better.

Anyways will see what the boat does with new motor, esc, servo and batt in a few hours.

Ivan.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i call it a scoop. i modded that on the 22" by droping it about an 1/16 in hopes of forceing in more water at speed
Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Quicksilver1

now you guys have me intrigued. It does look very similar. From the pics my main gripe would be the grade of plastic. If you guys put any serious power in one of these, you might want to glass over the drive. If you hit a rock at speeds were used to, that thing would split in a second. Is it the same sized impeller even? If so, then you could put a better one in and at that point it probably is just as good. Dont mean to be cynical, but I guess it's my nature, think of every bad thing that could happen so it never does.

oh btw I got my money back they better catch those....[:@]
Old 12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
headhunter23

%$*!ING DAMN 12.5" Jet drive! I'm running it today, and A. it still leaks somewhere, I still think it's the top that is taped down, and it is solid. I have done bath tub tests to find leak, running, not running etc. even put rubber gromets on the antennas even though it didn't need them. Going nuts. On top of that, I had repositied the batteries forward and now the hull is too much in the water. B. I think it's still too heavy even with the reduction of 90g-100g. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm starting to think it would require a different motor, something that pushes 8-10 amps, and 3200-3600rpm/v so I can just run one of the lipo's insted of having to use two to get it up to the 14.8v for this motor, which would reduce weight by a further 90g. HULK ABOUT TO DESTROY!!

On a lighter note, had worked on the uhhh... going to have to come up with a name for it. Anyways worked on the cheapy ndq jet boat, unfortunately the holder for the servo I made, just wasn't working and needed to be planned better. So doing that now, will have to try for tomorrow by the time the glue dries and such. Will test it in water tonight, hopefully no leaks. Other thing, I need to develop completely sealed top, I mean sealed sealed, and no tape to do so. If you've seen custom jobbies, that are air tight let me know.

Ivan.

editpoint:

Quicksilver, I'm actually pretty confident that this could take some good impact before breaking, but perhaps at the speeds your old boat did, straight into a rock instead of skimming one, might be a wee bit different. What's the top speed of the graupner mini jet?

Ahhh yet another edit point (keep doin this because I was last posted...

Photos! Thing is drying now, will bath tub test it hopefully later tonight. Still trying to determine best way of securing hatch. Tomorrow it will go topless I think, I'm sure this will be a bad idea.

Ivan.

Another edit point, quicksilver when I was running today, it was half ice, still some nice runs because it was raining all day today. Actually normally during this time of the year the last... geez atleast five years you would be lucky for snow. Last year we had snow for 2 wks in nov in waterloo then it rained all the way till half way through feb. Unreal. My dad tells me that 30 years ago, you would have a couple of meters of snow around the great lakes, now they are lucky to have snow stay longer than a couple days. I know it's against the rules, but... our prime minister is an idiot, must apologize for his views that business is more important than the environment. He certainly does not reflect the average Canadian, in fact the opposite.

Name:	Zx69883.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	823629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21085.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	823630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53244.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	823631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94723.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	823632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41344.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	823633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71523.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	823634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67381.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	823635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk34221.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	823636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts23400.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	823637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh47223.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	823638  
Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Quicksilver1

What's the top and seam look like? cannot seem to find a pic. Probably something you can do. One temp suggestion, weather stripping and duct tape. You can use the fancy colored duct tape, it leaves less residue as well as look better. Hey, it worked on mine, remember when I went swimming last? duct tape kept the boat above water for a half hour capsized and were talking 6lbs and a total perimeter of about 3ft of seam.
--------------------------------------
I think I would do what you're thinking already and cut down the voltage.
--------------------------------------
Btw, I think you beat me in winter running. My god man, how cold is up there now? Never done actual in the middle of winter. After all I've gone through this fall, I wouldnt think about putting a boat in
Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

if this boat is as thin as the mini-v ill glass it i have already put a hole in my sons . if it come to it ill just put the other mini jet from big blue in the cheap sprit. man it sucks it was 75 deg today and i didnt even get to go run . i had a side job changeing a clutch in a ford ranger easy $200

headhunter i would have left the pins and put weather streaping or a bead of rtv in the channel like i did on the mini jet v
Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
headhunter23

I thought the mini-v was pretty tough, ie hard plastic, like toys. If that's the case then some strengthening will be required. But compared to my 12.5 i would say this hull is stronger, and i went through some pretty rough stuff with the 12.5. Even more with the skid plate, but in heinz sight i don't think for a boat the size (and weight) it required the strengthening.

Ivan.

Edit point:

crappy, did not pass bath tub test. Had to tear out servo mount temporarily. Here is tip for those doing this project. Glue all around drive, do not leave one spot open. I did not glue the back where the nozzle connects because there is a gasket. Glue this, even use the gasket if necessary. Will be another hour for it to dry before adding more glue.

Bugger.

btw, been thinking on the 12.5", I don't think I want to put any more money into her, so will convert her to surface drive (very cheaply), will be cheap to do, plus there is a weight savings and increased surface area by removing the jet drive. What a pita though. I think I will shelve it till feb or later to start process. Say good bye to a failed project.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
headhunter23

Well not crazy rapids or anything, just a very small section where this was taken (is 5 min from house). Took her out to test her with new motor, power, esc, servo. Handled awsome! I fricken love it, there's only a few details, plus one "bugger". It functions very very much like a jet ski, but needs a few more strakes for straight performance, not sure what to do here as I do not want to really add anything, it could also be remedyed by adjusting the remote (servo sensitivity) which I haven't done yet. The prop has more pitch (it takes a bigger bite of the water) than the graupner micro jet. I ran the boat on 2 2s 2000mah lipo's, voltage was 7.4v, the motor is 3200rpm/v 25a. I would not run more volts, or more rpm as for me it's quick enough(easily 15-20mph), atleast till I get her to stay straighter.

It turns on a dime now, it skims across ice and rocks really nicely. Bottom of hull had one rub mark from running, but the bugger part of the whole run was breaking the nozzle. Unfortunately it does not come with an extra like kehrer. Graupner does not send an extra either. I think I can glue it but it still leaves the possibility of hitting a rock during the process of accelerating when everything is angled back. Have thought on this, it needs a strip of metal to protect it. Which if I didn't leave the gasket in, would have been 10X easier, as I would have had more clearence out drive for a small piece of angled aluminum out the back like my 12.5". Oh yea there doesn't seem to be any hopping issues!!

So here's a quick list of stuff to do:

You need to secure batteries, them moving around inside the boat isn't good as it throws balance off etc.
Do not put the gasket back in at the back of the jet, instead just glue it, this leaves room for angle aluminum tab out the back to protect your jet!

Ivan.

Oh yea videos and pics! Ahhhh crappy didn't realize the camera didn't catch the good parts of the going upstream!!! Sorry! Btw uploaded all the vids so those interested in it, can see how it handles.

Vid 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjFc4mZW_I
Vid 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnMeR8jg0qE
Vid 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDMB1FkwMPk
Vid 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeidM_J0-sM
Vid 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-EGudFVLg
Vid 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Avq2zJsl_o

Name:	Wu61650.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	824234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14584.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	824235  
Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

man that . was sweet. love the donuts . adjust your steering rate and travel . i have my endpoints at like 30 thats on a futaba . i was going to just use and old magnum futaba but after seeing yours run im going to need the adjustablty of the computer radio

i really cant wait now . just have two days
Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Quicksilver1

computers bah!!!! [>:] theyre for wussies. This hull is more like a real jet boat.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i use to only use stander radios. or the stock ones that came with the rtr. but i bouht this one and feel in love with what it can do . it was arganly for my mini-t carpet racer. but i have like 4 exra rx
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 PM
headhunter23

Did some more runs today. A little better than the other day, cept still issues with steering. Now turns left on a dime, right barely, thought I had it about where it was on the steering shaft when I fixed the nozzle, guess not. Wasn't able to adjust it yet again because I forgot allen key. So not the greatest runs, and im sticking to this excuse!

Just compilied some of the runs, next time will be better. Sorry for editing job, have only used microsoft's movie program a couple times now. Getting the music on was a pita. Would have thought it was easier.

Ivan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu3u-UMztlg

Man youtube severly compresses the hell outta the video!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

looking good on the rapids
Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 PM
LClark

So my jet Dauntless was a failure due to the low waterline (thanks Quicksilver fro catching it before I got too far along). I am thinkning about a catamarane type of vessel. Please check out the patrol boat in the pics....or the larger cat in the background...any comments?

Name:	Xv64401.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	825150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48578.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	825151  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.