Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 PM
headhunter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

man that is pretty clever! That would have been way easier than pulling the whole jet then adjusting it manually. Now that it needs to get pulled again and set properly yet again, I don't even want to look at it for a couple days.

Anyways here's updated videos

before trim tab, adjusted jet to shoot higher and bring bow up... didn't work[:'(]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQjh321txM

and with trim tab installed just bellow jet, needs adjustment still but I'm ripping it apart again so not going to bother fine tuning...
and voila the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8y5F2JB8aw
Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, that's some drastic improvement. bravo!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
headhunter23

Yea happy with it now, still don't want to pull everything and rebuild yet... I think I've redone it 5 times now.

Ivan.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

yet a nother project in the works i just picked up this 22" hull on ebay ill probbly remove the to minijets from big blue and trannsplant them in it and im going to put this 40mm grupner drive in blue
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79907.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	797740  
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
headhunter23

That's funny that's the same guy I got my hull off. I have it mostly together in the garage right now just missing the motor. The hull is not bad, just wish the opening on the top was better, had to expand it for the batteries which now it doesn't look so good. I think it's a great hull good width etc, not sure when the motors are getting here could be 2 more weeks if ya wish to hold off can give u update.

IVan.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

well its on its way but ill hold off before i start cutting . did you jet it or prop. did you get your accimbled i noticed they have one for 29.95 and one for 36 something . the cheaper one said its a kit . do you have a tread or any pics any suggestens on a bl motor for the 40mm drive for the 31" deepv and esc amp ratting
Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 PM
headhunter23

Well here's the story on the 22", me and a bud both got the same boat because we were river racing the hammer, problem was kept blowing the hammers prop's. But both found it fun, so we got the 22" off ebay. Right now we are waiting on the motors, as I have screwed up choosing the right one twice. So hopefully they'll come in the next couple weeks. I tested the one hull already without the top on the older motors, just too high an rpm for the jet at the voltage we are shooting for. The jets are kehrer 28mm, the 33mm is supposed to function the same speed but push more weight than the 28mm. The 40mm has a higher top speed.

Here's some pics, mine has some fiberglass to strengthen it but I think I will redo this hull again as I might add the strip of aluminum to more or less function like a skid plate. Comports is dead simple... mine has some added stuff, full real boating lighting and wireless fishfinder.

btw just bought the hull didn't need the kit because we jet them.

Ivan.

Name:	Wu60591.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	797859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66148.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	797860   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27540.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	797861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68228.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	797862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78275.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	797863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47437.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	797864  
Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i love the servo mount make me one please yeah i will diffently wait to see how yours go cant wait now . its one thing seeing it in your head on how to set it up and seeing how someone has dont it . what motor are you going with , maybe a 380l or xl
Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Quicksilver1

headhunter23,
how's the fishfinder work? I've heard of people trying them but never saw one actually work. Does it just record the data or do you actually watch in real time from shore?

Also do you have a three channel radio? I was thinking I could send you that variable nozzle I made a while back for the 28mm KMB drive. Figure it would give you something to play with. I would keep it, however I'm gonna lay off the jet drive experiments for a while, that and you seem to like experimenting.
If you dont remember this thing..... some pics, I'm re-uploading the video, I had deleted it from youtube. I never really did figure out whether it worked or not, since the stator broke on the drive before I got to really test it.

edit; yeah that servo mount is freakin great, I'd buy one I'll tell ya that

Name:	Fd90830.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	797912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80286.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	797913  
Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Quicksilver1

ahha! video is up already
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7UWBynlPE]variable nozzle video[/link]
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 PM
headhunter23

uh what's a stator again? And your offer is tempting but I'm not sure how it would work with my three channel. the third channel seems to be either off or on.. im sure there are adjustments for it. Its jr racing xs3 pro.

The mount for the servo took maybe 10 minutes to make, it's aluminum tubing(.5 inch), I cut in half to form base, then cut the length of the servo. Popped four holes in it when it would mount with servo holes, put in 4 40mm 4m bolts in, tighten whole thing together with nuts and glued the bolts to the aluminum so i could remove the nuts when servo needed to be replaced.

Finally glued in hull. Can make a thread on how to because I have to make another. I really really really need a clamp for my drill press.

The fish finder is the watch one. I bought the thing at what was called radio shack(now the source in canada) for 30 bucks. Apparently this was because they were clearing inventory and also the battery in the bobber was at the end of it's life. Took a while to slice open and pull her apart, but have already tested it and it works. It's running cleanly on the BEC or 5-6v, plus it will have it's own 1 foot antenna so the range should be a lot greater than 100ft. Am going to add a thread about that because I'm sure some people would be interested, way better than casting the thing out, imagine fishing? You don't have to drive over all the areas, just pop your boat out while your fishing, kill time and find more! Even better add a clip to your boat and tow your line out if ya didn't bring your boat.

Ivan.

ps is the nozzle made out of the reverse mechanizim?

Oh yea motor is feigeo or how ever you spell it, 1640rpm/v (as suggested by kehrer manufacturer) on 41 amps... should be damn near perfect http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=4884
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Quicksilver1

yeah it need to a proportional channel, I wired it into my esc wires, so the motor and the nozzle ran off the same channel. I made it out of brass, it slips on the nozzle, no drilling or screws to hold it on.
here's more pics of it, in its rough stages.
----------------------------
I'd make one of those servo holdings but alas I dont have a drill press, just a hand held 1/2hp drill, makes it tough to machine parts that require threaded holes.
----------------------------
That fish finder is cool, it has other applications, like scouting an area for real boats, to determine the depth of a channel, could actually have some commercial value. My father might like something like that.
------------------------------
1640kv huh, my 700sc is about 2000kv, I guess that would end up making it possible to use less cells than I. I'm interested to see how that works for ya. Did you order the motor yet? unitedhobbies can take a while to ship, like anywhere from a week to several months. If you havent ordered yet, I'd get it from offshore electric.

Name:	Fd91482.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	797969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71668.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	797970  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM
headhunter23

The holes in the aluminum were't threaded, just drilled holes the same size as the bolts, I just pulled the bolts through and you can do it will hand drill just make a dent in the aluminum first with some sort of punch so your bit follows. Forgot the idea of checking depths for boating because that was another thing I would have used it for during the summer for my 17 footer, there's a couple channels I want to get her through and having a scout would have been handy.

If I were running less rpm/v then you should have been able to run with less cells correct for both boats to make the same speed? I'm going to be running 4s lipo's. And united is already ordered, orders that i have put through make it within 2-3 weeks but this one is on hold due to the balancers. Where's offshore? US? If it is, I would rather wait months than pay extra money for illegal border charges and higher shipping charges.

My first aluminum servo holder was a strip of alumiunum did the same thing,cut to length of servo, drilled 4 holes and glued bolts to aluminum. Using the square aluminum tubing allowed me to increase height of servo as it was neccessary with new motor. 7 months? wow, motors are being sent out within a month regardless of balancers making it or not. would be nice to get both though.

I really wished ya managed to test this out befor ya ripped her apart, would have been interesting.

btw what was the fastest gps reading ya got on your boat before ya gutted her?

Ivan.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Quicksilver1

well, see they were two different boats. The kehrer drive boat, broke before I could really test that thing and it doesnt fit at all on a graupner unit. I'd have to make a new nozzle to fit it.

That servo mount doesnt sound awfully hard, I get it now

and I dont have a GPS, or more precisely one that would fit in the boat. Not a single person that's built one of these boats has posted a gps reading. Honestly I'm not a the financial situation to just go out and buy one, merely to find out how fast the boat goes. Wish I could.

I have a feeling the jet boat wont be rebuilt till it'll be too late in the season, I'm trying to get my new villain surface drive in the water tomorrow or thursday.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
headhunter23

No crap thurs... wow, i actually picked up 2 of these hulls(villians), want to make one in the spring, sell the other i guess make some money back as I only needed the one. How'd ya break the kehrer drive and even better did you ever break one of the props? Where would I get a replacement for kehrer, I'm sure it would be expensive from the manu might be better to get prop and just trim down to size.

Ivan.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Quicksilver1

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

No crap thurs... wow, i actually picked up 2 of these hulls(villians), want to make one in the spring, sell the other i guess make some money back as I only needed the one. How'd ya break the kehrer drive and even better did you ever break one of the props? Where would I get a replacement for kehrer, I'm sure it would be expensive from the manu might be better to get prop and just trim down to size.

Ivan.
Good idea making one and selling one, You can call it a jet-villain if you want. I've has 7 offers for my villain, through here youtube and OFE.
It will sell in seconds. I can buy new impellers for the graupner drive. You could use in the kehrer drive, if you shave it down 29mm->28mm and switch to a threaded shaft. The kehrer impeller cannot be removed..........without a torch. The shaft has a big notch and the impeller is molded on it.
here the link for the impellers. I suggest anyone with a 29mm graupner or a 28mm kehrer drive to order them, to keep the supply coming. This is the only site that sells them. I personally got three. [link=http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GR2344.2]impellers[/link]

The kehrer drive. Well, I was running it in a pond, there was still ice in spots at the time, probably sucked up a piece of ice and oddly broke the stator.

edit; sorry I edited this like 5 times [:-]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

well i got my motor and mount in and installed now i have know clue on how to program this 40a mystery esc i wonder if the make a card for this esc [:@]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
CadillacDTS2001

thats why it's called a mystery esc
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

no frecken kidding . i found the programing . but i also found out thats this esc is made for a stick not a pistol radio . but i still have no idea how to set this
Users Manual (FM 40A, FM 60A, FM 80A, FM 120A)

Specifications:

Model: FM40A FM60A FM80A FM120A
Continuous working current: 40A 60A 80A 120A
Weight: 35g 55g 55g 70g

Input Voltage: NiMH 6 - 16 Cells
Li-ion 2 - 5 Cells

BEC Current: No

Main Functions

1. Safety mode: the motor won't start no matter what the position of the control stick is when
switched on the RC unit.
2. Brake Setting: On/Off (factory setting is off)
3. Three point battery type and low voltage selection.
4. Software reversion of motor turning direction.
5. Low current protection: ignore/reduce power/shut off
6. Temperature protection: reduce power when the temperature reaches 120 degrees C
7. PWM frequency: 8KHZ/16KHZ
8. RPM setting: 20,000rpm/50,000rpm/100,000rpm (60A/80A Only)

ESC program procedure

Normal Start Up

When throttle stick is off, you will hear one Beep for Brake on, or two tones for Brake off.

Program
When throttle stick is at full power connect battery and switch on and wait for 5 seconds.
Setup mode isentered:

1. Brake: If you pull the stick to off within 5 sec Brake will be changed
(On ->Off or Off ->On)
2. Battery type: (Voltage Cut-off)
Ni-Cad . . . . .
2 Lipos(5.6V) .. .. .. .. ..
3 Lipos(8.4V) ... ... ... ... ...
4 Lipos(11.2V) .... .... .... .... ....
5 Lipos(14V) ..... ..... ..... ..... .....

3. Rotation Reverse: Reverse motor rotation 5 short musical notes

4. Soft Start: Enable: 5 short musical notes
Disable: 5 long musical notes

5. Under Voltage:
Ignore: _.. _.. _.. _.. _..
Reduce Power: _. _. _. _. _.
Cut Off: ._ ._ ._ ._ ._

6. Timing:
Automatic (7 - 30 Degree) .. .. .. .. ..
Soft (7 degrees) .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
Hard(22 - 30 Degrees) .. .. .. , .. .. .. , .. .. .. , .. .. .. , .. .. ..

7. Frequency: 8kHz ' ' ' ' '
16kHz b b b b b

Restore Default Settings: _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

8. Active rpm control:

rpm control off: _._ _._ _._ _._ _._
20,000 rpm _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._
50,000 rpm _..._ _..._ _..._ _..._ _..._
100,000 rpm _...._ _...._ _...._ _...._ _...._
(60A/80A only)

Factory Default Settings:
Brake: Off Battery Type: 3 Li-Poly Under Voltage: Reduce Power Soft Start: Enable
Timing: Auto Frequency: 8kHz Active RPM Control: Off

Notice:

1. Make sure the connections for battery positive/negative are right. Reversing the connection
will damage the ESC permanently.
2. Use suitable batteries. Do not exceed the working voltage of the ESC.
3. The company keeps the right to change design, function, or package without notice.
4. Take care in using safely. Incorrect use may cause injury to the body. The company will
not be responsible for any damage or loss caused by incorrect operation.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 AM
headhunter23

Well if it's similar to every esc that I have tried, the first thing you have to do is set the throttle range. Essentially have radio on, hold down trigger, plug bec or turn on boat. Hold 3-4 seconds till you hear... it's either 2 beeps or 1, I think it's two. Then let go of the throttle. You have now set the range.

The rest of the stuff is straight forward. Turn off boat, hold throttle on remote, turn on boat and just wait till some fancy jingle and your in.

I personally find setting up all the codes a pita, I really should get one of those little boxes that sets everything up.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

well got every thing in had to pickup a nother 30a esc from the lhs . and i tested it in the pool it seems to as fast as the 550 12t on 11.1v had im just running a 2s oh yah it also fixed the torq problem .and here is a pic of the new boat dont know what ill do with her she in the air . any suggesons

Name:	Ig12856.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	799626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88089.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	799627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71766.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	799628  
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
headhunter23

need videos!!![:@]
Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

calm down . ill havesome tonight . i plain on taking my son to his grandfathers today after work . and ill take some vid of it in action and his stock mini-v with ujoint upgrade and lipo . not sure what time it will be up
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ok the wait is over first run vid of the brushless mini-jet-v on 11.1 and no adjustments on the esc and a half charged pack . and the first ever vid of BIG BLUE . and some other news i hit my sons mini-v after the vid and put a 2 " hole on the side of the boat and turned her in to a bobber in the middle of the cove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsbsIvdWmc
Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 PM
headhunter23

Sweeeet, man that thing is quick. Your son seems to be having a better time video taping, looks really good. But what a difference between big blue and mini-v.

Been working on my own mini-me off and on all day. Hull is all back together, going to put it all together but it will still require sanding and time on the hull to get her ready for paint (if i go that route). With luck she'll be running rapids tomorrow.

Ivan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.