Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Vinnystoolbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Woo hoo... finally i have a running boat, seems to all be running ok bit of a wobble in the drive but am planning to switch to full flexi, have a few bits to tweak and tidy but the main bits are done.

Needs water cooling, CoG adjustment, flexi and need to tweak esc

Amazed by the amount of thrust this has, haven't dared to open it up in the bath, only used half throttle which was plenty.

Sorry about the picture quality perhaps my phone and artificial light wasn't the best combo, will get a real camera and take some better ones

First pic shows what i got when i bought my hull for £75GBP a nice deal i thought

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98135.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1124083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64695.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1124084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32487.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	1124085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43069.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	1124086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67246.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	1124087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez84020.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1124088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46203.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1124089  
Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

cool man cant wait to see it i had the same wobble that why i went to a flex drive .
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: grael

What size engine ?
with the swashdrive? you'd ideally want a zenoah.

If anyone has a question about swashdrives I'd first ask Justaddwata or Swashdrive, but he's not on here as much also the maker is here http://www.swashdrive.com.au/Model%2...odel%20Jet.htm

I also see him on RC groups

I wish I could afford one
Old 02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
sundogz

Dragon, nice work on the Aqua Jet. And I wouldn't have thought the pitch on that prop would be so steep after turning it down, but it looks good, real good. Looking forward to test results.

Damfurst, how's the giant jet conversion going? I suppose you can't test it lately, at least not on the ice! Sd
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

thanks man . if tyou wont some more info im the larger drives hed over to the gas thread and look at 1/4 scale jet boats swashdrive and justaddwata are on there alot latly
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM
damfurst

Hi all, I guess we were thinking the same thing sundogz, need to up date u all. After battling a chronic leak in the hull and also trying to figure out a battery setup i finally tried the Jet mini-v XL yestereday in the creek (it was a balmy 38 w/30mph wind blowing). It did run fairly well, but the transom was pratically underwater. This caused sinking to comence, however, I was able to get it back to me and retrieve it. So my setup is much too heavy. I do admit it felt somewhat like a brick putting in the water, but I had to try it. So the pictures show what she looked like before I took the 2700kv motor out. The picture of the other motor is an EMP 3200kv motor. It is much lighter, and I believe will probably work better. Now I have to redo motor mount, make a cooling coil, etc. I think this will be worth it though. The weather is better here so more work I must, but the creek is the only water open right now, other than ice fishing holes in the ponds & dams.

Vinneystoolbox, hope your first voyage turns out better than mine, but it looks really good. Good luck.

Name:	Fd91040.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1125337   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43183.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1125338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86295.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1125339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74625.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	1125340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80681.jpg
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1125341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47170.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	1125342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35161.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1125343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw78376.jpg
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1125344  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml89048.jpg
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	1125345  
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 AM
grael

Damfurst,
I believe with that weight to bouyancy ratio, you might be better off with a "surface piercing" model
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
damfurst

I agree grael, lol. Problem now is it's a little hard to go back to how this boat was before. I think this will still work out once I get this new motor mounted.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:15 PM
james94

heys guys,workin on my almost complete jet villain. Just workin in the intake an some paint.my question is should I put a grate/cage/whatever u wanna call it on the intake for protection? are there any preformance pros or cons?thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: damfurst

Hi all, I guess we were thinking the same thing sundogz, need to up date u all. After battling a chronic leak in the hull and also trying to figure out a battery setup i finally tried the Jet mini-v XL yestereday in the creek (it was a balmy 38 w/30mph wind blowing). It did run fairly well, but the transom was pratically underwater. This caused sinking to comence, however, I was able to get it back to me and retrieve it. So my setup is much too heavy. I do admit it felt somewhat like a brick putting in the water, but I had to try it. So the pictures show what she looked like before I took the 2700kv motor out. The picture of the other motor is an EMP 3200kv motor. It is much lighter, and I believe will probably work better. Now I have to redo motor mount, make a cooling coil, etc. I think this will be worth it though. The weather is better here so more work I must, but the creek is the only water open right now, other than ice fishing holes in the ponds & dams.

Vinneystoolbox, hope your first voyage turns out better than mine, but it looks really good. Good luck.

I just realized you made a motor adapter just like mine. I was about to offer mine up, since it sounds like you had to, but you already did it.

btw I still have that laying around in case anyone needs it. 700>540 size mount conversion. free

Name:	Nl30568.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1125922  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
damfurst

Thanks alot Quick, I do appreciate the thought believe me. I just made up another one for this new motor but only had to use one piece of 1/8" stock. Found some shorter screws. I also finally made up a template so when I do this again it'll go faster.

James, a couple of pages back sundogz posted some pictures and description of what he did to his intakes. I think he cut out more of the intake before putting the screen in. Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 AM
headhunter23

james, really up to you on grate. If your doing really shallow runs in rivers with small pebbles that will fit in the tube then could be a good idea to add grate.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 AM
sundogz

James, I do mostly river running, and the local river has tiny gravel that can take out an impeller, so I used welded wire mesh to cover the intake (see my post on page 96 of this thread) on both of my jet boats, and if there is a speed penalty, It is almost imperceptable. Also, they seem to cavitate less (I know, that doesn't sound right, but it's so). I'll be modding another ABC Kawasaki jet ski soon and will document the mods and post pics this time around.
If you run mostly on a lake, you might get away with no protection, but I know others have fouled with leaves, fishing line, etc. so some kind of protection will result in less hassel, and more uptime methinks. Sundog
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
headhunter23

really? the leaves we sucked up in the fall pretty much stalled the jets on both villain and knock offs as no water would get through, dead in the water. Although the prop wouldn't be damaged but im sure a metal prop would chew through the leaves.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM
saratogaslim

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the information. We're half tempted to try the Graupner for the price break but maybe we'll go all in with the Swashdrive. The Swashdrives bolt down to the deck which has advantages and the stainless internal parts seem like the way to go. The thing I don't like is the fact that you have to cut a big hole through the transom that ends up being sealed by a flexible boot. I was hoping someone had experience with this and didn't have any problems to report but I guess we might be the guinea pigs.

Thanks again,

Slim
Old 02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
james94

i will be running on both lakes and rivers equally as much, so i made a grate out of scroll saw blades,sanded the teeth off,dremeled slits into the bottom of the boat(pvc) and lined up 3 blades running along from front to back,so the waterflow is basicly un-affected by thembecause the are so thin,but the protection is there for the rocks.they do not bend inward or sideways.they are about 3cm thick,and 0.6cm wide,which appears to be strong enough. i will have pics soon,once my paintjob it complete! BTW my setup is :

motor: feigao 1853kv 9xl
esc: hobby city turnigy 100A
batts:for now 2x 8.4v 4200mah nimh in series for 16.8v, soon to be a 4s lipo hopefully before springtime here in Canada

also have the reverse bucket on it
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 AM
grael

More power, and leaves will pas through, as if through a shredder, I know, because my .40 Glow engine does that. It also takes drifting gobs of algae, and shreds them if not immediately, then in the first turn, as soon as a bit of air gets in.

Only thing that slows it, is plastic bags. They wrap around the impeller, and have to be dug out.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
damfurst

Well, I got the new motor in and tried it out yesterday. It doesn't feel like a brick anymoremaybe a 1/3 of a brick. But at least the transon isn't under water to start with. It ran very smooth, not sure how fast. There is no skipping or chine walking, but I'm sure that has to do with the weight of the whole boat and how low it does ride in the water. I'm going to try to video today and see if I can post it. A couple more pics of new motor and it installed.

Name:	Bz76723.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	1127248   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42935.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1127249  
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
sundogz

Yup. it's so. To invite debris entry is maybe macho, but not so good for longevity. If you're looking just for speed, you probably should get a prop driven boat anyways. To 'power through it' can take out an otherwise good esc and motor on most lighter weight rigs. Better to protect, methinks. Especially with the low speed penalty for doing so. S
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
sundogz

Looking like space is a problem now. I was hoping you could use that purple motor, because I have the same one in 3600K for future power of my stretch NQD rigger. May be moot here (space and all) but I am having no problems with the original brushed 550 that came with the ABC unit. I run a 3 cell lipo with a 50A brushed ESC and it scoots. Have run a 12v nicad in it as well. But it would probably sink that rig! What is the specs (volt) on that motor & what battery? Maybe you could put a higher voltage battery in the nose and relocate the esc to the side? That thing ought to move out! S
Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Yup. it's so. To invite debris entry is maybe macho, but not so good for longevity. If you're looking just for speed, you probably should get a prop driven boat anyways. To 'power through it' can take out an otherwise good esc and motor on most lighter weight rigs. Better to protect, methinks. Especially with the low speed penalty for doing so. S
There's the third argument, if you cannot protect the impeller very well, there's not really a point for protecting it. I've yet to read about a grate that really worked. The closest thing I'm reading is this screen idea posted above somewhere. I find it hard to believe it doesn't cause aeration, but I'd love to be wrong. As far as grates, never had one work and I've tried making many, including the above mentioned saw blade trick. Which works well till you hit a rock at 20mph, the blades will deflect and they will break loose.

I guess my point is there's no great solution other than buying lots of impellers, or dont run in streams. You can kill an impeller with a 1/4", 1/8" 1/2" or any size pebble. hell, I killed one with a piece of ice.

This is exactly why so many like headhunter...dragonfire and many others have tried so many different ways to try to stop this from happening besides grates, like metal impellers. Ideally that's the trick, metal impeller, metal stator and a metal wear ring to protect the duct. Using grates to stop tiny particles are like using windows to hide from bullets.....well, not really, but they both dont work well. You can sacrifice speed, for longevity, but that to me is just plain boring. Of course this is coming from the person who rebuilt his boat 8 times....but it was worth it. every ounce a epoxy and package of dremel wheels, since our boats dont have a purpose, theyre supposed to be fun, it just depends on your fun tolerance level, mine is particularly high.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
smokesboards

You can sacrifice speed, for longevity, but that to me is just plain boring. Of course this is coming from the person who rebuilt his boat 8 times....but it was worth it. every ounce a epoxy and package of dremel wheels, since our boats dont have a purpose, theyre supposed to be fun, it just depends on your fun tolerance level, mine is particularly high.
I couldn't have put it better myself...
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 AM
grael

Time for page 100 of the thread already !
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM
sundogz

Oooooo! Non-believers. I can see I'll have to post some vids to show you can be protected and still be speedy. But really it seems some folks would rather work on models. I like the play part more. There are lots of postings of modded props, custom impellers and the like enough to show there is a problem here.
The impeller on the ABC Jet ski has very thin blades (you can order a replacement, but is a hassel to install) and is why I came up with that solutuon of a mesh screen (not a window screen - about 3/16" openengs) to help prevent those occurrances. I didn't say it's racing speed or gas model speed, but ample speed and power to climb falls, jump boulders, chase ducks, etc..
If speed is everything to you, fine. Leave the intake open and fix when necessary. But if uninterrupted float time in important, you might just try this and see for yourself. I like to power up to shore, go thru leaves, branches, etc. and you just can't do that (for long) with an unprotected intake shute. I've modded my knockoff 'tear into' the same way and have never broken the impeller on it. Fun fun fun.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
damfurst

Hey Sundogz, I think the mod that you did beside putting the 3/16" mesh over the intake is enlarging the intake opening itself. This is the whole key to it i believe. By enlarging the opening it becomes easier for the water to go into the drive despite the restriction caused by the mesh. If this hadn't been done (enlarging) then it may have turned out like Quicks & others did. I probably will try this on the Jet mini-v XL and maybe the jet ski too.

The motor in the Jet Mini-v XL is a EMP 3200kv outrunner. It has a shell around the rotor part which makes it easy to put a cooling coil around. I am currently running it with a seaking 60A marine Esc. I ran it yesterday on a 6.6V A123 2300amh battery which just fit in the hull. It ran very well & did get some vid of it as well as my knock off with the Graupner mini jet in it. I agree that the abc hobby jet with a 550 motor is a great set up in the jet ski, but would have been too heavy for this little boat. I have a 9.9v a123 1100ah battery I'm going to try in it next time. I taped the hatch this time, but I'm still having a problem with water getting in. I don't know how it's making it in, but I wondered if an auto bailer would make much of a difference. Might need a bilge pump if I only had the room. Anyway it does get a little squirly at high speed. And before the water got into the hull when I turned it fast it would sometimes submerge 1/4-1/2" underwater. I wish the pond was open for alot of this testing, but I couldn't wait that long to try it. It is fun & a challenge to run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.